wr450f 2004 want more traction

The WR450 has plenty of flywheel. I would save for the ignition. ?
Obviously not enough for him...You can easily cure wheel spin with a cheap weight.. They work great... No need to spend hundreds of dollars to achieve the same effect..

Hi Dan Lorenze, thanks for all your advice. Just got an email back from Chuck at Steahly and he did say that it is only 4oz weight for the WR450 because that is all that will fit in. He said he hadn't tried a WR with the extra 4oz, but was very honest and said in a round about way that it might not make a dramatic difference. Will see how I get on with the Dyno Guy for correct jetting etc to see and maybe get a flywheel weight after that? The Vortex CDI does sound good, but I can't justify that much money when the bike does everything that I need it to do, it was just an observation on traction against other bikes in the same category.

Cheers, Alex Robinson UK

• 2 weeks later...

WR450F Traction Update. Took my bike to the Dyno Centre on Saturday and had it set up, the result is staggering 15% more torque and 12% more horses. Instant throttle response and much much better traction. The bike now pulls slippery steep climbs like a tractor. It is unbelievable, it's like a different bike! I had the carb settings at standard and had tried when I got the bike 1 year ago to change the carb settings, mainly to get rid of the constant throttle stutter. TT members had advised to disconnect the TPS which I did and it cured the Stutter. However, the Dyno Centre reconnected the TPS and set up the jetting correctly and there is no stutter. So that proves that the Stutter that many WR owners have had is from incorrect Carb settings. Turns out the stock standard main jet is way too lean!!

It is now a wheelie machine, but surprisingly gets more traction and is much smoother. Anyone who has disconnected their TPS to cure the stutter has a jetting problem! Seeing how the Dyno Works, next time I get a new bike I will be going there to set it up before I ride it. Each time we made a carb change, the Dyno showed the results there on the screen, no guess work! Awesome!! no need for a bigger flywheel weight or a Vortex programmable CDI unit, all it needed was proper carb settings at the Dyno centre and the results are fantastic!!

Cheers, Alex Robinson UK

So that proves that the Stutter that many WR owners have had is from incorrect Carb settings. Turns out the stock standard main jet is way too lean!!

Anyone who has disconnected their TPS to cure the stutter has a jetting problem! Cheers, Alex Robinson UK

Like I have said on many posts. Proper jetting will minimize the stutter created by the TPS but not completely eliminate it. Run a switch and turn it on and off if you need to dual sport it for a lot of road riding. ?

Hi Indy WR450, the Dyno Shop re-connected the TPS and when they finished setting up the jetting on my WR450 2004 there was absolutely no sign of the stutter. Before I paid him I went for a road ride to check because I definitely didn't want the stutter back, but it is absolutely fantastic, not even the slightest stutter and loads more usuable tractable power. From this experience it is possible to eliminate the stutter completely and leave the TPS connected. From now on I will allways take a new bike to the Dyno and have it set up before I ride it. My bike was great before but it is soooo much better now, I can't help thinking that if I had paid the money to set it up from new how much more fun I could have had the in past 12 months.

Cheers, Alex Robinson UK