Why do Yamahas come so plugged up? No other mfg does.

31 replies to this topic
  • RC81

Posted May 09, 2005 - 10:50 PM

Just wondering why Yamaha cant sell a bike ready to ride. The new 450X dosent come all choked up and I dont think anybody elses do either.

• simon@vic

Posted May 09, 2005 - 11:40 PM

yes, the 450x does come plugged. just not as much.

i say its a good thing all bikes come plugged, keeps dump people from going to fast :)

crf230, crf250x, 450x, drz, wr250/450, they all come plugged up .......

• Indy_WR450

Posted May 10, 2005 - 03:14 AM

i say its a good thing all bikes come plugged, keeps dump people from going to fast ;)

:) :D :crazy: :) :D :worthy: :D :D :D

• VinnyL28

Posted May 10, 2005 - 06:40 AM

Well, at least I have full throttle range on my 250X & 450X :) :D

• bandit99

Posted May 10, 2005 - 07:07 AM

It is only a matter of removing a screw to open it full throttle. I guess that may be a little complicated for some people.

• beezer

Posted May 10, 2005 - 07:12 AM

I like your thinking Simon!

I think it has something to do with those silly green stickers.

Its a bit of work and a few bucks but its worth the effort.

• VinnyL28

Posted May 10, 2005 - 07:16 AM

It is only a matter of removing a screw to open it full throttle. I guess that may be a little complicated for some people.

not to complicated...just asking why? :)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 10, 2005 - 07:22 AM

They come so plugged up to pass emissions so that the bike's friendly to our environment. Yamaha has a unique 5 valve head design that might take some extra "plugging" up to pass the standards... Most late model, high performance four stroke bikes come with smog pumps and lean jetting just to pass...

Dan :)

• VinnyL28

Posted May 10, 2005 - 07:29 AM

Yes my X has a smog pump and was lean....but WRs have had that throttle stop since 2000??? right?? why. they were concidered Red sticker back then

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 10, 2005 - 08:24 AM

Yes my X has a smog pump and was lean....but WRs have had that throttle stop since 2000??? right?? why. they were concidered Red sticker back then

No smog pump..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • VinnyL28

Posted May 10, 2005 - 08:26 AM

Then why the throttle stop if they were Red Sticker?

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted May 10, 2005 - 08:40 AM

To pass noise standards.

• VinnyL28

Posted May 10, 2005 - 08:45 AM

To pass noise standards.

Back in 2000??? I dont think there were any?

• velosapiens

Posted May 10, 2005 - 08:54 AM

there is no justification for it in this country. maybe yamaha is trying to pass noise standards somewhere else. note that ktm and husaberg seem to be able to sell a bike that will run, and is reasonably quiet, and has no air-pump b.s. and they were among the first ones to have green sticker bikes that weren't toys.

mw

• RADRick

Posted May 10, 2005 - 11:42 AM

The WR's stock throttle stop was designed to help it pass noise regs, not emissions.

• JTWR450

Posted May 10, 2005 - 11:58 AM

Well, at least I have full throttle range on my 250X & 450X :) :D

Yeah well we are not doing valves ever15 hours like you riding the red bikes. Have fun wrenching :).......we will be RIDING!! :D :worthy: :D

• VinnyL28

Posted May 10, 2005 - 12:05 PM

Yeah well we are not doing valves ever15 hours like you riding the red bikes. Have fun wrenching :).......we will be RIDING!! :D :) :D

Sorry to burst your bubble. I have over 150HRS and 10 H/S and Enduros on my 250X and the only time I had to shim them was when i put a Hotcam in it....my valves havent moved at all

• JTWR450

Posted May 10, 2005 - 12:10 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble. I have over 150HRS and 10 H/S and Enduros on my 250X and the only time I had to shim them was when i put a Hotcam in it....my valves havent moved at all

I am just kiddin....I knew that would get you a bit bothered. I thought better of sending that...but hell what fun would that be. I know that some honda's have had issues glad to hear that you are not one of them. I have buddies that have the CRF450R and I have had the chance to ride it. Sweet rigs for sure. No hard feelings but since you are on the Blue fourm had to give a red rider a bit if grief..... someone had to do it. :)

• VinnyL28

Posted May 10, 2005 - 12:15 PM

I am just kiddin....I knew that would get you a bit bothered. I thought better of sending that...but hell what fun would that be. I know that some honda's have had issues glad to hear that you are not one of them. I have buddies that have the CRF450R and I have had the chance to ride it. Sweet rigs for sure. No hard feelings but since you are on the Blue fourm had to give a red rider a bit if grief..... someone had to do it. :)

No worries Bud!! :) :D

• jasilva

Posted May 10, 2005 - 05:02 PM

450xs get the smog pump INSIDE the engine so you can't remove it easily. :D I'd much rather have more stuff to remove but actually be able to. :) :D :)

Joe

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.