XR650L- Best Bike in the world-

561 replies to this topic
  • dukeryder

Posted March 23, 2006 - 07:51 PM

Do you gents think it makes sense to pay $5,500 ish for a new '06 650L, or just wait a bit to see what is coming?

Seriously unless you HAVE to have "NEW" I don't think it makes sense paying that much for an L because there are always low mileage nice used ones for sale.

I got mine with Motard wheels, with only 4000miles on it for $4,000, The cost of the wheels, tires, brakes would've cost me over $1000 or more. Stock ones of the same year sell for around $3500. The L is still the Best Japanese 650cc Dual sport there is and with a little work it can be really kick ass.

I'd take the L over a DR, or KLR any day.
Posted Image

Right now the latest and greatest Dual sport is the Husky 610, it'll cost ya, but it just kicks ass. More power, better compents etc. The downside is not many dealers.

• Jayzonk

Posted March 24, 2006 - 05:40 PM

Seriously unless you HAVE to have "NEW" I don't think it makes sense paying that much for an L because there are always low mileage nice used ones for sale.

I got mine with Motard wheels, with only 4000miles on it for $4,000, The cost of the wheels, tires, brakes would've cost me over $1000 or more. Stock ones of the same year sell for around $3500. The L is still the Best Japanese 650cc Dual sport there is and with a little work it can be really kick ass.

I'd take the L over a DR, or KLR any day.
Posted Image

Right now the latest and greatest Dual sport is the Husky 610, it'll cost ya, but it just kicks ass. More power, better compents etc. The downside is not many dealers.

Okay, so which do you like better, the 650L or the Husky? You kinda said that both are the best....

• dukeryder

Posted March 24, 2006 - 11:33 PM

Okay, so which do you like better, the 650L or the Husky? You kinda said that both are the best....

Honestly if I had the $ right now, I'd probably buy a KTM LC4 Adv over any other "Dual Sport", but between the Husky and L new for new, I'd like to have the Husky because it's got all the high end goodies already installed (you'd spend a lot more $ modding a new L to get to the Huskies level). I've ridden LC4 powered bikes before and I don't like the Vibrations, but that's all I can complain about. I've never ridden the new Husky, but I'd like to; even though it's "better" (power,shocks, brakes etc), it's hard to find one and dealer support is limited.

For the $ and reliability the L is tough to beat and it is the best JAPANESE 650cc class Dual Sport, better than the KLR or DR for sure. And USED the L has to win hands down because most don't have many miles, and they're so cheap. The last a long long time too, I can't imagine many original owners wear one out. :thumbsup:

The L still has to be the "Best" though for the reasons I stated above, tons of Honda dealers, tough as nails, easy to work on, a blast to ride, economical etc. From what I've read though, to answer you ?, I think that if I got to ride a Husky I'd probably like it better :thumbsup:

• XR_RON

Posted March 25, 2006 - 08:40 AM

Yes,did I mention that my 86XR600 still runs as strong as a MUH FUH!!

• BWB63

Posted March 25, 2006 - 07:52 PM

They still haven't split the group XR600~XL650 and the XR650R's....WoW I thought they would have by now. I have been gone for months....and .....
well this still works for me!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes that is a plate on the back :thumbsup:

Posted Image

All About the XR650R, Click Here: :thumbsup:

• xbreaka

Posted March 25, 2006 - 08:17 PM

i <3 my 650L, it takes me wherever I want, sandpits, powerlines, beach, dunes, fire roads, regular road. Who needs a truck where you can ride wherever you want to ride?

o 650L 4tw

• Jayzonk

Posted March 25, 2006 - 09:09 PM

They still haven't split the group XR600~XL650 and the XR650R's....WoW I thought they would have by now. I have been gone for months....and .....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes that is a plate on the back :thumbsup:

Posted Image

All About the XR650R, Click Here: :thumbsup:

Bruce, what are you up to? Are you working with these guys on the "All about the 650R" site? Are you prepping bikes?
Anyone remember that shot of JN Roberts flying through the air in Baja? I swear, he jumped 100 feet!!

• XR_mad

Posted March 25, 2006 - 11:05 PM

i think ill stick with my Rocket :thumbsup:

• dukeryder

Posted March 25, 2006 - 11:14 PM

Posted Image

Hot Bike and girl what more could a man ask for :thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted March 26, 2006 - 07:52 AM

Yes, I am about to revamp the XR650R web page. Once I get the server fixed and the high speed net worked in.

Right now the big thing is setting up CR500 shocks for the XR650R.

There isn't a lot of advantage, only adding the high speed, compression adjuster but, it's that little bit more adjustment you get we are after.

With both shocks apart, side by side. There is almost no difference
in the shock housing. The caps that hold the bladders are different
and the XR650R's allows for more Nitrogen. The CR500 shock body only
holds a table spoon (or less) fluid. The CR500 body is only very
small amount longer inside (like 2mm) but, the top mount (to the
frame) is shorter. Using the CR500 seal head gives a little more
room for more fluid but, again very little. The seal head moved out
2mm and a smaller seal head the shock body being deeper with a
longer shaft, longer bottom linkage mount make a 15mm longer shock.
The only advantage to the converted CR500 shock (with XR650R
insides) is that it has the high speed adjustment. The stock XR650R
shock has a much less restrictive valve, better seal head and better
bladder cap. Bladders are the same. Valve is different, The XR650R
uses bigger shims for more flex. Same rebound adjustment setup.
Bottom line is the XR650R shock is an awesome shock that is just
missing the compression high speed adjustment of the CR500 shock. If
you don't know how to adjust the high speed adjustment it will mean
nothing. The adjustment has no clickers and turns about 400 degrees
in rotation. It is the red nut that the slow speed adjuster is in the
middle of.

We have three CR500's that we are setting up two for desert racing and one for mountain climbing with an extended swing arm. The one with the extended swing arm is a fire breathing machine! Alcohol, ported, polished....the works.

I am setting my sons up on XR400's for AMA desert races and selling their MX bikes. We have given the track a rest for this year and looking at regrouping our priorities. A little more camping, Hunting and then if their drive to ride is stronger then, we may try the track again. Girls, cars, BMX, mixed in with the high cost on constant change of bikes for MX, has made it not as fun for teenagers at this point. Throw a little court issues in there (nothing I haven't done, Knife at school) and we just had to back off on the bike thing.

Looks like the usual group of racers for the Baja 500, setting up the bikes for that now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GIANTac1

Posted June 15, 2007 - 04:40 PM

BUMP! Uh Ummm....The XR650L is still the best bike in the world:p

• pwrpapa

Posted June 15, 2007 - 05:41 PM

BUMP! Uh Ummm....The XR650L is still the best bike in the world:p

I have to agree with ya. you can't kill it.

• Nummie

Posted November 07, 2007 - 09:32 PM

Yes, in case you all forgot, the XR650L is still the dualsport king.:worthy:

• Cobalt650

Posted November 08, 2007 - 06:12 PM

Yup. Almost got a Husky, but went with the bulletproof, tried and true BRP. A new 2007 XR650L awaits in my garage, now, what to mod......

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 08, 2007 - 06:47 PM

Yup. Almost got a Husky, but went with the bulletproof, tried and true BRP. A new 2007 XR650L awaits in my garage, now, what to mod......

A XRL is not a BRP. A XRR is. Sorry dude.

• wheelnut46

Posted November 08, 2007 - 07:09 PM

Well that may be so but if you've ever had to pick one up it sure feels like it.

• Old Dog

Posted November 08, 2007 - 07:30 PM

How's that "dude"? :worthy:

It's "Big"

.... It's "Red"

........ and it's a "Pig"

Therefore, logic would dictate that it's a "Big" "Red" "Pig". A.K.A. "BRP". :worthy:

• martinfan30

Posted November 08, 2007 - 08:02 PM

you have lost your way...

the XRL is a BIGGER , HEAVIER , REDDER pig!

• Nummie

Posted November 09, 2007 - 05:42 AM

Yes, and my '84 XL600R is a grampBRP !

• Motosprtman

Posted November 09, 2007 - 06:46 AM

Yes, and my '84 XL600R is a grampBRP !

so that makes the 1972 XL250 a greatgrampa BSP (Big Silver Pig) as they weighed in at 278 lbs. dry!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.