XR650L- Best Bike in the world-

561 replies to this topic
  • ztsd

Posted December 14, 2005 - 08:56 AM

loved my xl350's

Yeah, I loved the XL350 too! Beautiful bike...

I did a lot of mods to mine... Swapped out the gas tank, complete front end assembly and rear wheel assembly with light weight CR250 parts. Cut the frame and setup CR250 shocks in a laid down configuration. Took out the fork springs and converted to air forks. Installed Yoshimura 400cc high compression piston, cam, pipe and also had Yoshimura port and polish the head. Took off the directionals, mirrors and huge taillight and replaced it with a trick rear fender with a built in taillight. The (for the time) long travel suspension was incredible. Power wise the bike was not much less than my XR650R, it would power wheelie through the first 4 and it was easy to pick it up in 5th.

Posted Image

• huntmaster

Posted December 14, 2005 - 09:14 AM

You talking about Harleys?

Well, despite the best efforts of Speed TV and the Discovery channel there are actually other brands out there....many that share similar technology.
It's just that you have to go back a long ways! :applause:

• 2000 xr650r

Posted December 14, 2005 - 03:26 PM

:applause: :bonk: :cry: YUP, and so much more advanced than this funny "R" model :cry:

Hey XR-det, the xr650l is the funny model in my opinion. The xr650r is 50 pounds lighter, more compression, liquid cooled,more advanced engine= more POWER. Plus with the baja designs kit is street legal and looks 10 times better than the L. Besides a little less streetability, why is the L better?

• craft

Posted December 14, 2005 - 04:12 PM

Hey XR-det, the xr650l is the funny model in my opinion. The xr650r is 50 pounds lighter, more compression, liquid cooled,more advanced engine= more POWER. Plus with the baja designs kit is street legal and looks 10 times better than the L. Besides a little less streetability, why is the L better?

It all depends on what you want...Easier maintenance, handles crashes better (no radiators), and more comfortable in long distances (street or dirt) make a decent argument. If you'll do a little search on here, you'll find all of the arguments for both bikes that you care to read.

• hill5150

Posted December 14, 2005 - 10:34 PM

I keep hearing this stuff about the radiators???? "Easier maintenance, handles crashes better (no radiators)"

Yes, I bent one radiator in a high speed crash going down a sand wash, with a sudden turn into a rock. I was riding at a speed and in a place where a XR650L could have never done. Yes, the XR650L could have made it down/through that wash but, not at that pace (well not with as much fun)....well neither did the XR650R with me on it :bonk: but, the point is the XR650R does the sand, mud, desert, single track much better and very few ever "Brake" or get a "Leaky" radiator. The much better control of heat make for the engine to last longer if ridden the same. If you rode nothing but, fire roads and freeway you could get 40,000 miles out of a XR650R also. Most are twisting the squealers ear much harder and more often on the XR650R and if they do brake a radiator it's because they can/are riding much harder off road then a XR650"L" could ever go. With Devol radiator brace, it would be real hard to brake a radiator and to do so would take someone riding crazy. You don't brake a radiator by dropping the bike on the ground. I have crashed at over 70mph and the bike is fine...I wasn't but, the bike was.

:applause:

• husky123

Posted December 15, 2005 - 04:24 AM

brake
break

• ghoti

Posted December 15, 2005 - 05:55 AM

Well, despite the best efforts of Speed TV and the Discovery channel there are actually other brands out there....many that share similar technology.
It's just that you have to go back a long ways! :cry:

I just confused, which dual sport has(had) pushrods? :applause: And trying to make 50 pages. :bonk:

• Triumphs

Posted December 15, 2005 - 07:28 AM

I just confused, which dual sport has(had) pushrods?

Like the poster said....you have to go back a few years! Harley Sprint, Triumph Adventurer, etc. all from the early 70's. No doubt the introduction of fancy schmancy overhead cams and multi valve heads must have seems terribly complicated and unnecessary to many! :applause:

• ghoti

Posted December 15, 2005 - 08:31 AM

Like the poster said....you have to go back a few years! Harley Sprint, Triumph Adventurer, etc. all from the early 70's. No doubt the introduction of fancy schmancy overhead cams and multi valve heads must have seems terribly complicated and unnecessary to many! :bonk:

I can think of one. :applause:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 15, 2005 - 09:23 AM

For where I like to ride (where I was in CT, anyway), the R could not go any faster- +300lbs trials-bike, anyone?

That said, lighter would be better... lighter is always better (except for some rock-fields!). So arguably, if the R is lighter, its 'better' no matter what kind of riding you're doing. So it comes down to preferences.

Anyone with an R want to hit the ridgeriders trial/trail event in Deposit NY next spring? We can see which is better on trials obstacles!

-Dave

But its not always about speed. If ya wanna go real fast, R is better.
Ya just wanna go with a min. of fuss, L is the ticket.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • huntmaster

Posted December 15, 2005 - 10:47 AM

Anyone with an R want to hit the ridgeriders trial/trail event in Deposit NY next spring? We can see which is better on trials obstacles!

Great. I'll be waiting for you at the end of the trail with my GoldWing!
It's not a trials bike but the rider counts for most anyway! And it's not designed to compete with the 650L either! :applause:

• XR-Det

Posted December 22, 2005 - 09:28 AM

That is easy to answer, the "L" is better because I have one :applause: if I had a "R" of course I would agree with you on that. But as it looks both will be retired soon, so what the heck...

• hill5150

Posted December 22, 2005 - 06:15 PM

That is easy to answer, the "L" is better because I have one :bonk: if I had a "R" of course I would agree with you on that. But as it looks both will be retired soon, so what the heck...

• wheelnut46

Posted December 22, 2005 - 07:21 PM

Right out of the box the "L" is dirt capable and street ready. The "R is more expensive and requires a lot more maintenance and isnt street ready without dumping even more money into it in the form of a baja designs kit. When you've finished you've got a hell of a bike but I'm not sure the original intent of the post was "how good a bike can you build?", I think it was that arguably the "L" is the best factory dual sport.

• BWB63

Posted December 22, 2005 - 09:56 PM

There is a $500 difference between the XR650L and the XR650R. Some dealers they are the same price. It costs another $500 for a street kit and $90 if you make it yourself.

Both are setup for an 170 pound rider.

One is ready out of the box to ride fire roads and the Freeway. The other has won the Baja 1000 nine times in a row and a lot of other races around the world. Not even something to compare when it comes to price. It's a difference in what you can do :applause:

• Rider1958

Posted December 23, 2005 - 05:27 AM

The xr650r is 50 pounds lighter, more compression, liquid cooled,more advanced engine= more POWER. Plus with the baja designs kit is street legal and looks 10 times better than the L. Besides a little less streetability, why is the L better?

I bought an "L" instead of an "R" because:
1. It's truly street-legal, some states won't allow a plate on an offroad-only model.
2. It has passenger pegs, so I can bring galpal on a trail ride (reason for purchase, hasn't really paid off). Have WR426 for riding alone.
3. It's VERY quiet.
4. It's a street bike too - riding it to work is a gas-efficient way to commute, comes std with street equipment - horn, turn signals, visible brake lights operable by both front and rear brakes, hi-lo headlight and indicator, battery, speedometer and odometer, etc.
5. Air-cooled really is less to worry about on it.
6. Extremely reliable.
7. Electric start!

That said, I'd rather have an "R".
Oh well.

• goblin127

Posted December 23, 2005 - 07:22 AM

And to think Honda is going to discontinue them both. I had heard that honda has always sold every 650L and I would think the same for the R.

• Cobalt650

Posted December 23, 2005 - 08:32 PM

Do you gents think it makes sense to pay $5,500 ish for a new '06 650L, or just wait a bit to see what is coming?

• Fio

Posted December 24, 2005 - 12:11 AM

I do not even want to know how or be able to to kickstart a 650, that why I have an "L". I just want to ride. :applause:

• Jayzonk

Posted December 24, 2005 - 10:48 PM

Wait. Even if Honda comes out with nothing, there isn't going to be a big race to buy the discontinued 650R and L. And if there is, they'll probably make more. THe only thing I'd do is maybe check with your dealer to find out how many XR's are in the US warehouse, to give you an idea of how much time you really have to go get one. I don't think they'd mind telling you?
I sometimes wondered if Honda doesn't necessarily run off XR's every year. Maybe they run a whole bunch off (2002-2005), and just leave them in the warehouse, and just get new stickers and stick 'em on, along with the serial #, etc. Is there something on there that says the exact date it was made? I'd go check, but the garage is c-c-c-cold!! :applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.