XR650L- Best Bike in the world-

561 replies to this topic
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted July 11, 2005 - 08:55 AM

But I do have the satisfaction of being the all-time troll-champ on TT!

D

• ghoti

Posted July 11, 2005 - 09:03 AM

lets face it guys, this topic is dead. lets just quit now. way to many posts. it was somehow brough back up from page 2. lets stop this now. its gettin real old hearing all this "shoulda got an r" crap. the man just put one sentance and look at the responce. its over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! let it die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bump... :applause: Let it live

• jlpskydive

Posted July 11, 2005 - 02:44 PM

Those guy's that ride WR450F's Haging out at the donut shop with the cops. There they are with their bikes in the back of their 1989 Ford ranger.

You guy's with your "L's" can wave to them as you leave from the Starbucks from across the street, riding your bike to play.

I should be kicked off this group for posting on this thread yet again and making others stop their productive day to read this worthless thread. Shame on the rest of you for keeping this thread going. There are those that just can't stop from looking. You are feeding into the bad habbit.

We will have to start a special support group for those that just can't stop from looking.

Like all junkies we all need our fix!! :applause: It seems that the only people who have a problem here don't ride a Honda???

• XR-Det

Posted July 11, 2005 - 02:50 PM

Why quit this thread?? Its the XR hangout here :eek:

But anyway I'm soon offline as I have to move a couple blocks and won't have internet at home for a while... so you get a break from me for sure :applause:

• Jayzonk

Posted July 11, 2005 - 07:03 PM

B-Dub, habit has one b, not two.
This thread won't die, because it's the fundamental quintessential question amongst XR riders. The arguments will just morph and morph and morph. It's our way of developing a philosophy on motorbiking and maybe even other things.
I guess these Yamaha and Suzuki guys show up once in a while because there's nothing interesting on their own sites.
On the romantic side of things (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance), I think I like the L because it exudes the dirt "beast" while holding a highly mannered/polite street side as well. The R is all beast. We get tired of the raging beast after awhile.

• ghoti

Posted July 12, 2005 - 04:47 AM

Too much of a good thing isn't always the best. I think a legal XR650R would be lots of fun on the street, but not the best for a daily commute for the same reasons I wouldn't want a rally car, or a super stock quarter mile car. I love the fact that I can go anywhere, with any gas and make it back. :applause:

• chickenheart

Posted July 12, 2005 - 03:32 PM

Hey dub, did you mean "read"?

• hill5150

Posted July 12, 2005 - 05:05 PM

No he meant "R" ed................ :applause: ..................... :eek:

• Jayzonk

Posted July 12, 2005 - 07:52 PM

Well, if the R guys are folding their cards....I guess the L's have won! It's all about "L"ongevity.......

• Motosprtman

Posted July 14, 2005 - 11:01 AM

Truly (and I did not read through ALL of this thread as it is of biblical proportion) it all depends on the riding you do and what your personal preferences are... me I like the XR650L, and it - modified or stock is a handful in the woods or off road in general. I would also like to have in my inventory a CRF450X - almost all of the new technology bikes from the big four - are fun, powerful and comfy off road - if you don't think so, take a ride on any vintage dual sport or off road bike, Motocrosser etc then be thankful to technology and the improvements that we now take for granted...brakes, suspension etc etc etc...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2wheels

Posted July 14, 2005 - 11:53 AM

a handful but compared to a klr or ktm 950 the 650L is a featherweight, no? This is the class it's in,,i.e. you can ride 100 miles of slab and ride most stuff you could do on crf/drze, but just slower. I never rode one i am just guessing

• ghoti

Posted July 14, 2005 - 12:06 PM

a handful but compared to a klr or ktm 950 the 650L is a featherweight, no? This is the class it's in,,i.e. you can ride 100 miles of slab and ride most stuff you could do on crf/drze, but just slower. I never rode one i am just guessing

It's amazing how much you can push it. It's a handful, but you have to ride it like my first race bike, a Bultaco pursang 250. That beast weighed almost as much, had 6" suspension in the front and 3" in the back, drum brakes...We could only dream of a bike with legs like the L back in the day.

Oh, and, bump back to the top.

• Miguel159

Posted July 14, 2005 - 04:13 PM

Ok you "L" devotees. I'm contemplating the XRL or perhaps a 640 Adv. What do you consider a long stretch of tarmac on the L? 100 mi? 500mi? Does anyone have their XL set up for longdistance, KLR type rides? Just curious.

• Shakeyhands

Posted July 14, 2005 - 05:09 PM

the ADV is to big to do anything but wide trails (non tech) or fire roads... the "L" will do it all, I've done 200+ miles but with semi frequent "bum breaks" and the KLR just sucks.

• Jayzonk

Posted July 14, 2005 - 08:41 PM

[quote name='BWB63']The "L" is a Vintage bike :) :eek:

Why fool around with perfection?? :applause:

• Jayzonk

Posted July 14, 2005 - 08:49 PM

I haven't ridden much OTHER than the 650L, but I quite like it. I wouldn't want to do dropsies off short cliffs or anything, but I wouldn't want to do that on a CRF either. I find that the weight of the L may actually help in certain situations - I get less feedback into the steering over deeper dried mud ruts, for example. Also, if I happen to bury the front wheel in mud or deep gravel (because my weight is too far forward), I don't lose control of the steering, as the weight of the forks in the mud keeps it more on track. Maybe that has more to do with my suspension set up? I think the weight helps keep it from getting too loose.

• XR-Det

Posted July 16, 2005 - 08:13 AM

The "L" is a Vintage bike :eek: :applause:

Are you "L" guys riding Pine Valley??? What is up I think I am going to ride down that way and now you guys all quit riding??

Nooo, it just takes me to long to get there :)

• XR-Det

Posted July 16, 2005 - 08:21 AM

I haven't ridden much OTHER than the 650L, but I quite like it. I wouldn't want to do dropsies off short cliffs or anything, but I wouldn't want to do that on a CRF either. I find that the weight of the L may actually help in certain situations - I get less feedback into the steering over deeper dried mud ruts, for example. Also, if I happen to bury the front wheel in mud or deep gravel (because my weight is too far forward), I don't lose control of the steering, as the weight of the forks in the mud keeps it more on track. Maybe that has more to do with my suspension set up? I think the weight helps keep it from getting too loose.

I prefere my lighter CR for those things. I had to dig out my "L" once here in the swamp with both tires stuck in the mud up to the foot pegs. That was no fun!! But for the longer rides, no jumps, no tight woods I always take my "L" over the other bikes. I don't have to race all the time, when I get where I want to go is when I get there.... slower can be fun too :applause:

My buddies ride YZF400, DRZ400, DR350 and now one with a KTM380 2smoker... I tried most of those too... those are all fun just I like red better :eek:

• Jayzonk

Posted July 22, 2005 - 07:09 PM

Well, I guess that settles it. XR650L Dave's mantra holds up - the XR650L is the best bike in the world. And BWB admits that he's not a true XR guy. Hmph.

• XR-Det

Posted July 23, 2005 - 03:08 AM

Well, I guess that settles it. XR650L Dave's mantra holds up - the XR650L is the best bike in the world. And BWB admits that he's not a true XR guy. Hmph.

:applause: :eek: :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.