XR650L- Best Bike in the world-

561 replies to this topic
  • XR-Det

Posted June 13, 2005 - 03:52 PM

Thought I would help you out
StarBucks In Virginia Beach

Uhh, we are invaded... there is a SB at every corner here :) just clicked on that link you posted. How can there be that many??? I haven't noticed a single one. They must have popped out here like mushrooms over night!!!

• jlpskydive

Posted June 13, 2005 - 04:12 PM

They must have had a big sale on "L's" lately and Starbucks saw an opportunity to make big money! Now you can be at home with your bike and find other "L's" to hang out with :)

For the record I don't drink coffee, but I do ride by and wave at all the DRZ's parked out front. (for those of you not following the other thread BWB is active in, read it then you'll get the joke) Somtimes I stop and they ask where I'm going? I say, don't worry about it you need a dirt bike to get there. :)

• XR-Det

Posted June 13, 2005 - 04:13 PM

hey BW, did you say a good bike can make a bad rider look good??? I figured this weekend that that doesn't work or a bad rider can make a good bike look bad... (no I'm not talking "L" - I took my oil burning "R")

That really stinks, I took this weekend my camera with me on the MX track and me and my buddy were taking pictures of each other... jumping felt so much higher before I saw those pictures! Now I'm depressed... I think I hop on my XR and drive to Starbucks for a glass milk (I dont like late or how u call that stuff) :)

Three month of practicing... man, how do you get the guts to just open the throttle?? I always have in mind that Monday is a work day - LOL

Hmmm shouldn't have bought that "L", that probably affects my riding even though it was the better choice over the "R" :)

• XR-Det

Posted June 13, 2005 - 04:53 PM

For the record I don't drink coffee, but I do ride by and wave at all the DRZ's parked out front. (for those of you not following the other thread BWB is active in, read it then you'll get the joke) Somtimes I stop and they ask where I'm going? I say, don't worry about it you need a dirt bike to get there. :)

LOL, I followed the other XRR/XRL thread but I thought I stay in the original Dave-Thread since BW turned yellow now going beserk with hp and torque numbers? Who can keep up with that?? - uhm

You know, the guys foot I posted earlier rides a DRZe, and that is what happens when you ride such a low bike elsewhere than to SB - LOL - and another advantage not too many of those short guys can steal my XRL because they don't get their feet on the ground... hehehe

• jlpskydive

Posted June 13, 2005 - 04:59 PM

LOL, I followed the other XRR/XRL thread but I thought I stay in the original Dave-Thread since BW turned yellow now going beserk with hp and torque numbers? Who can keep up with that?? - uhm

You know, the guys foot I posted earlier rides a DRZe, and that is what happens when you ride such a low bike elsewhere than to SB - LOL - and another advantage not too many of those short guys can steal my XRL because they don't get their feet on the ground... hehehe

Gotta love being 6'3 i can flat foot mine. Although I'm now looking at the dark side. Besides the fact that I've had to wrench on it 3 times now on the trail I road my friends KTM 6Day 640 and HOLY CRAP I love that bike. You can't get them anymore, but he sells it. IT's mine. Love my L for now though. :)

• Jayzonk

Posted June 14, 2005 - 10:31 AM

You can get a KTM LC640 up here in Canada. They run about $12,500 Cdn. I heard that it vibrates a lot. Unsure about reliability.
Note: real "L" drivers drive more fuel efficient vehicles than a Suburban! The L gets 55mpg! The auto should also be somewhat efficient and nondescript!!

• jlpskydive

Posted June 14, 2005 - 11:06 AM

His is the special 6Days version USD forks and lots of other stuff from the factory.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted June 14, 2005 - 09:11 PM

all i know is taht i love my 1998 xr650l, its got all the sweet hookups.......big ass tank, hot cam, yosh offroad exhost, 14/48 gearing, protaper bars, turn signal upgrdades, bark busters, ufo non dot headlight, and some new plastics.

• XR-Det

Posted June 15, 2005 - 02:07 PM

You can get a KTM LC640 up here in Canada. They run about $12,500 Cdn. I heard that it vibrates a lot. Unsure about reliability.
Note: real "L" drivers drive more fuel efficient vehicles than a Suburban! The L gets 55mpg! The auto should also be somewhat efficient and nondescript!!

Did you say anything against my Suburban?? Did you.. did you??? :)

• 1biglung

Posted June 15, 2005 - 03:44 PM

Oh ya

Here I am coming down from 6' of air on my "L" at the Ride 4 Kids
Posted Image

Opps my mistake 6" of air :)

And my daddy will whooop your daddy Bruce :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR-Det

Posted June 15, 2005 - 03:46 PM

Wasn't this from the beginning the total bull thread??? I mean not that Dave intended it to be but since then we've been messing around with each others blabla... thats what I see it for and I don't take stuff personal - at least not in this thread. What the heck, its just for the fun... like BW said in so many postings.

To the suburban, I own it for a purpose and to make it even worse, my Chevy is the 3/4t 4WD just to make the gas milage count. As Dave said in the beginning, his "L" is the best bike for his purpose and so is mine as well as the Suburban. I need the extra thirst and grip of that Chevy to tow my boat around and up the slippery boats ramp. A soccer mom minivan (that was what someone in the past has compared my SUV with) wouldn't do that. Anyway, I wasn't intending to attack jayzonk for that comment in a serious way. Its all fun...

I don't have a wide open desert next to my house where I could even utilize a 650R or similar. So I'll ride the CR250 2smoker on the weekends. Btw, I went riding last weekend and do so this weekend. And during the week my "L" lides me work :)

Do you guys never mess around with your riding buddies??? making fun of someones skills or no skills?? Hmmm at least me and my friends always have a blast that way. At the end everyone is having fun... except the ones that put the shoe on themselfs - those who do, it most times fits them.

My absolute must have performance bling as BW requested:

Posted Image

• XR-Det

Posted June 15, 2005 - 03:48 PM

Oh ya

Here I am coming down from 6' of air on my "L" at the Ride 4 Kids

:) :) :D great jump!!! I wish I could do that :D

• XR-Det

Posted June 15, 2005 - 03:57 PM

That jump thing reminds me - guess how much air my buddy cought last sunday:

The landing Picture - to judge

I'll post the shot before he touched the ground then later :)

• 1biglung

Posted June 15, 2005 - 04:04 PM

:) :) :D great jump!!! I wish I could do that :D

I guess you missed the last line at the bottom :D

The only time I would be 6' in the air is by accident.
If I would hit 6' they would have known where the earthquake came from.

• XR-Det

Posted June 15, 2005 - 04:08 PM

I guess you missed the last line at the bottom :)

nope I didn't, I deleted it out of my quote on purpose :)

• XR-Det

Posted June 15, 2005 - 04:19 PM

BW, how do you fall of a power pole??? I've done that work years ago taking down three phase power lines... because the utility company was moving everything into the ground. I always felt with that harness and those climbing irons its safer than a ladder :) (I mean those wooden poles)

The thing that always gave me a kick was when you actually cut the cable and the pole twisted or bent back after releasing the pull of the cable.... :)

• XR-Det

Posted June 15, 2005 - 05:11 PM

.... I don't free climb anymore :) I am still a Lineman for Edison.

I never had that bad luck but I wasn't doing it for long either. Those old guys were always warning us about injuries to ankels, legs, and stuff if you should loose the grip because the irons would hold and twist your feet. Hmmm was just wondering... sure s_cks with your arm as any injury at work or spare time.

That were those irons or similar we used back then as I remember it. Those are made for a certain size pole but that for felt like steps. Do you use something similar here in the US?

Posted Image

• onaXR

Posted June 15, 2005 - 05:47 PM

"Those old guys were always warning us about injuries to ankels, legs, and stuff if you should loose the grip because the irons would hold and twist your feet."

Cant confirm pole spike ,but I am a tree man I can say a tree spur stuck in a soft tree will pull muscles and twist up bones. :)

• joker650

Posted June 15, 2005 - 05:47 PM

Look, it all comes down to this, the XR650L is a Dual Sport bike that's the best on the market right now, Factoy or Non Factory, nothing can compete with it, the DRZ lacks the cubic inches, bottom torque, and top end, the XR "R" means you'll be carrying oil in your backpack and consuming twice the fuel as the "L", and the KTM RFS's require valve adjustments and oil changes every 15hrs, with top end tear downs every 60hrs, the LC4 (SXC) is no longer offered and like all Euro bikes, lacks dealer support (but it's a sweet bike), and other Factory Dual Sports just suck ass.

Hmm..... that statement is funny, kinda makes me laugh.

In the past 6years or so I have put on many long distance dualsport rides here in British Columbia and have attended other rides that other people have organized . These 1 to 3 day rides range from 100km to 750km ,cover mainly 2-track with single track and open logging roads used to join-up different areas.
All that riding and how many XR650's have I seen........2 ! :)
One was a 2000 or so XR650r dualsported, verry nice bike but didn't seem to "Kick Ass" on my 99DR650. The other was an 1986 xr600 that had had an eng rebuild, also a nice bike for the vintage. The only other place I have ever seen one was at the dealership....still all shiney.

As for Euro bikes not haveing good support... well we have some prety good dealers arround here, KTM, Gas-Gas, BMW.

The bikes that are mostly used up here are drz400's, DR650's, 640 ktm's and KLR650's.

I find it strange that the " Best bike on the market" is always IN the market rather than IN the dirt. :)

• XR-Det

Posted June 15, 2005 - 05:54 PM

Who left the door open so that that Suzi guy could slip in??? ehhh?? :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.