My 426 died. What is wrong with it?

7 replies to this topic

Posted May 09, 2005 - 06:50 PM

Okay, I'm going to try and explain how this happened. I was out riding today and my 426 was giving me a hard time starting it. It also ran rather choppy in the midrange. I ran a tank of gas through it in the morning. I was on my second tank when I stopped to get a drink. When I got back on, it wouldn't start. The kickstarter would only go about 3/4 of the way down. With the decompression lever pulled in it turns over just fine. Then I noticed my carburetor was unhooked from my motor. It was pushed back enough you could see into it from the kickstart side (left side). It appears to have been off for a while. Is this all related? I hope you people can figure this out.

• offday

Posted May 09, 2005 - 06:56 PM

Yep. it was more than likely loose and just got worse. It was running choppy because it was running lean because of the vacuum leak. I hope you didn't manage to suck up a bunch of crap. I'm guessing it was that or the valve's were way out of adjustment and causing it to backfire when ridding and "pushed" the carb out of the intake boot. Good luck. :D :)

• 02YZ426

Posted May 09, 2005 - 06:58 PM

How long do you figure the carb was not sealed to the motor? That doesn't sound good, I hope it didn't suck in any dirt. I am sure that the carb not being tight is why the bike wouldn't run right. Did you try to fire it back up after hooking the carb back up?

Posted May 09, 2005 - 07:34 PM

I'm not sure how long it has been unhooked. It was running poor most of the day. It could of been five minutes or a month, I don't know. You had to look closely to see it that it was disconnected. But, even after hooking it up the bike still would not kick over properly. The kickstarter does not go all the way down except when I pull the decompression lever. Before it would always hit on the footpeg.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted May 09, 2005 - 07:37 PM

Take the valve cover off and have a look to see if everythings good.

• Fastest1

Posted May 09, 2005 - 08:41 PM

If the carb came loose at the motor side not the air filter, it didnt run long at all. No vacuum for the carb to work.

• Slowmotion426

Posted May 09, 2005 - 11:24 PM

change the sparkplug....

• MotoGoalie

Posted May 10, 2005 - 06:04 AM

Loose Carb Haiku

Carb comes loose, falls off.

Sorry your motor is broke.

I got a chuckle.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.