Can O ring chains be cleaned w/ kerosene??

43 replies to this topic
  • Ga426owner

Posted May 17, 2005 - 06:25 AM

How about this guys - you both are right :D And both of you are very knowledgeable on this and other matters......... :)

OK kiss and make up :D

or

Do we need to get the Gloves out? :worthy:

no I am not being condesending :)

• walent215

Posted May 17, 2005 - 11:37 AM

The Regina ORS O-ring chain is a whopping 3.4 oz heavier for a 116 pin chain than their premium non-O ring chain. At any given moment, there are only 8 O-rings in motion, and of those, only the four at the front sprocket are moving as much as 15 degrees. What drag? What the chain feels like on the stand does not translate into drag that can be felt on the track or trail, and I doubt it would add up to anything significant on a dyno. Name one with a tensile strength higher than than the 8100 lb tensile strength of the Regina ORS. Having trouble? The DID ERT is the only one I know of.

My Reginas run for about two years or better with very little of what you would really call maintenance to get them to do that. Hose them off, put a dry, non-sticky lube on them to prevent rust, that's it.

you mentioned the did also the primary drive 520 h racing chain on page 386 of rocky mountain catalog shows 8510 lbs. of tensile strength.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 17, 2005 - 12:09 PM

OK, then, now I know of 2. But tensile strength is less important than it gets made out to be sometimes. There are any number of guys out there running chains with no more than 5 or 6000 psi tensile ratings, or even less, who never break their chains, and probably won't. The limits of tensile strength are usually tested the most in cases where the chain has been set too tight to allow it to have slack throughout the entire range of rear suspension travel. If that happens, the chain can be subjected to huge forces as the suspension swings through the tight spot. Otherwise, power-on landings and times when the rear wheel is skipping around under full power do the most to test tensile strength. Usually, the true limits of a high end chain are never even closely approached.

• DigilubeJay

Posted May 17, 2005 - 07:21 PM

These standard chains also have a higher average tensile strength than the Regina 520 ORS(520-ORS 7510 lbs ):

RK 520-MXZ 8800
D.I.D. 520-NZ 8220
D.I.D. 520-ERT 8470
Regina 520-RX3 7644
(there are beaucoup more)

Gray is correct in his last post though. And that very scenario is why lots of sprockets (and chains and bearings, etc...) get worn before their time. Just a slight bit too tight is all it takes.

In reality, even the lowest end chain will not see the full potential of force during any normal run. If all things are proper, including adjustment, there isn't a dirt bike that can create enough force to even come close to the yeild point of a chain side plate. A CR500 will maybe create 1800 lbs.

On high end chains, Regina, Tsubaki, and Diamond all have the lowest posted tensile strengths. But as stated, tensile strength is more of a marketing ploy than anything. Although, a chain that states a higher tensile strength is usually constructed of superior components. Higher meaning over 6000 lbs.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.