03 Starter upgrade

10 replies to this topic
  • Dirtmizer

Posted May 09, 2005 - 05:42 PM

I just upgraded my starter hardware to 04 parts, the question is where do I place the two thrust washers? Yamaha shows one on each side of the gear, the original 03 only had one on the outside as it that matters, and I have read where people have put both washers on the outside of the new gear, I installed one on each side according to 04 Yamaha info and it seems to operate ok, but I'm thinking any alignment issues could be bad news down the road?? any thoughts?

• wr450oregon

Posted May 09, 2005 - 06:00 PM

I also read about putting both on one side but when i did my upgrade it looked like one on each side worked just fine and have no problems so far.

• Indy_WR450

Posted May 09, 2005 - 08:04 PM

I have both on the outside to provide more tooth engagement on the starter gear to torque limiter. I have had the upgeade on for over a year now and no wear on the case from the torque limiter with two washers on the outside. Oil gets back there fine and the back of the torque limiter has a radiused contact surface. Just made sense to save the gear on the starter pinion. :)

• Dirtmizer

Posted May 10, 2005 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for all the info, I gotta go with the addict on this one :)

• BajaFool

Posted May 10, 2005 - 04:16 PM

Dirtmizer, I was one of the first to upgrade my 2003 WR450F to the 2004 Starter Idler configuration. Go to the www.yamaha-motor.com website locate parts ordering and bring up the picture of the Starter Clutch. It clearly shows that the Washer, Plate #2 goes one on each side of the Damper Assy #1. That is the way my friend's 2004 is also. I would put it together just like the guys who designed it want it put together. Just my $.02 :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted May 10, 2005 - 07:05 PM

It is also very clear that Yamaha made an engineering band aid with the torque limiter and it does not engage as well as the 03 design idler gear.
They did not want to completely redesign the motor position and cases in their patch up design on the 04! Oh and I was one of the first to upgrade to the 04 design and I ride every weekend and have no issues! :)

• Dirtmizer

Posted May 11, 2005 - 04:16 PM

Indy, Forgot to mention that I reused the 03 case with the Yamaha bushing, is the 04 case the same thing with a factory installed bushing or is it a different design? does this change anything?

• RichBaker

Posted May 11, 2005 - 04:21 PM

Same case with bushing installed...I had to replace my '03s side case because the boss for the idler axle was broken. It still worked fine, no noise. I found it during a routine inspection...got all parts at cost. I love my dealer....

• Stinson

Posted May 11, 2005 - 06:05 PM

When I did mine and put both washers on the outside for more engagement. It just seemed like it would hold up better but hey, what do I know. Cya Stinson

• Indy_WR450

Posted May 11, 2005 - 08:06 PM

Indy, Forgot to mention that I reused the 03 case with the Yamaha bushing, is the 04 case the same thing with a factory installed bushing or is it a different design? does this change anything?

It is the same except for the bushing. I now just have a spare case in my spare parts tote and bought a bushing and pressed it in. :)

• Dirtmizer

Posted May 16, 2005 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for the info.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.