Who had Red sticker and got Green sticker?

9 replies to this topic
  • John_in_Long_Beach

Posted November 13, 2000 - 04:27 PM

Luckily enough I got a Green sticker on my WR. But tommorrow I am going to look at a used YZ80 for my son with a Red sticker. I have heard of several of you guys going to the DMV and saying you lost your sticker, until you got a Green.

How many of you guys have done this? Is this the only way out? Does it really matter?

Thanks!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted November 13, 2000 - 04:36 PM

I live in southern california and i got a red sticker for my 2000 400. If there is any one with a good system for getting a green sticker?

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted November 13, 2000 - 06:07 PM

Thumper ride,

Break out your registration.

What does it say under

VLF CLASS, TYPE VEH, TYPE LIC and MO ?
Mine says
BM 610 FO FN

I am trying to see if the registation is any different for RED vs. Green sticker bikes

Your info would be greatly appreciated.

• mrmtm

Posted November 20, 2000 - 08:36 PM

Originally posted by John in Long Beach:
Luckily enough I got a Green sticker on my WR. But tommorrow I am going to look at a used YZ80 for my son with a Red sticker. I have heard of several of you guys going to the DMV and saying you lost your sticker, until you got a Green.

How many of you guys have done this? Is this the only way out? Does it really matter?

Thanks!

go to the dvm and get another green sticker for your wr400 and put it on the yz80

------------------

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted November 27, 2000 - 08:55 PM

John of LB.
Get this, I bought a 2000 WR in Sept of this year and got a street license plate. Do you think the DMV has any clue? I bet if you go and tell them you lost your green, you'll get a new one. As for me, move over Ducati, I has me a big "Street Thumper" that's damm fast in in the whoops and sand washes

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted November 27, 2000 - 10:37 PM

John,
I got a red sticker for my 2000wr. I went to DMV with Baja designs paperwork, ca. insurance, and asked to cancel my off-road title and wanted a street title. They did the paper work and gave me the plate. I failed many times before by asking for a dual registration( plate and sticker). I think the dmv computer won't let a bike with this vin (3 or c)have a green sticker, but if you get rid of the off-road title its not a dirt bike anymore in their eyes and does not need a red sticker or green sticker. I could be completely wrong , but it worked for me. I was told by many dmv workers that the best way to plate the bike was to have it registered the first time from the dealer the way you want it.(green, street, red?)That makes no sense to me that the dealer can do it but I can't Thats what they told me. I have friends who have done this with their bikes and have had no problems. The dmv workers told me it was ok ?. remeber that when its time for a new 2003 WR550f-wishful thinking.

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted December 10, 2000 - 09:30 AM

All's well that ends well. I picked up the YZ80 with the dreaded "red sticker", but when I went to the DMV to change over title I told them that I needed a new sticker. (This was based upon reading the posts about people asking for new stickers until they got the right one)

Guess what, I got a GREEN. My observation is that the DMV is absolutely clueless.

Here is a question for all you RED STICKER people in CA. What does your registration say? Does it have any wording in it like "non-complying OHV". I believe that was the wording in the previous owner's reg. But no such wording was present in my new registration. Did this have anything to do with getting a GREEN? And will I always now get a GREEN? Or should I hand walk it through the local DMV because they are maybe less knowledgable?

Then comes the second question. If I only have plates and no sticker (steet licensed only) can I trail ride where GREEN stickers are required?

Thanks for all of the comments

• GPS Dual Sport

Posted December 10, 2000 - 12:49 PM

The story I have heard is the license plate is valid for riding in green sticker areas. You see jeeps and 4X4 trucks in green sticker areas all the time.
My WR400 is CA plated only and I have never been denied entry into any green sticker area. The only inspection item at the gate in Hungry Valley is for spark arrestor if the bike has a plate.

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted December 11, 2000 - 12:47 PM

Zaknavage,

That was my thought, If jeeps can go why couldn't a street only bike. And your experience at Hungry Valley is all I need.

Then the obvious question is, why would anybody dual reg their bike and not just street reg it?

Thanks for the input.

• Motodog

Posted December 15, 2000 - 06:43 PM

I have a Calif Street Legal WR400.

The trick is the VIN# on 1999's are OK.
The 2000's have a "3" or "C" in the
8th position of the VIN#. This means that
the bike can NEVER be registered in Calif.
with ANYTHING OTHER than RED. My '99 has
"W". Watch out buying a USED 2000 with a
GREEN or STREET, the DMV may hand you a RED
when you put it in your name!

The local DMV checks this in my area!
There are a lot of 2000's that got
GREEN. My neighbor got a GREEN and then a RED a few weeks later in the mail!
Next time he renews the stricker, he will get RED.

It is really frustrating living here in Calif., from the DMV, CARB (Calif. Air Resources Board), State, and Feds you get
all these rules that seem to be really harsh.
We have lost a lot of riding areas since I
started riding in the '70s!

Now, don't get me started on GUN control!

Mike
Costa Mesa, Ca.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.