help with engine stuttering

11 replies to this topic
  • Berserker

Posted May 09, 2005 - 12:57 PM

Hello,

I uncorked my xr650r two weeks ago (everything except pipe which is on backorder) and rode it that weekend without any issues. Tons of power - real scary sometimes.

Yesterday I installed a trailtech computer and took it out for a spin - bike was hesitating at the barest turn of the throttle but even worse it was stuttering at constant speed.

I'm open to suggestions on where to look. I'm using a 175, a 68S and a jet needle set. The parts were bought on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/...&category=35597)

Thanks for any assistance!

• JackAttack

Posted May 09, 2005 - 01:19 PM

I'm open to suggestions on where to look.

Look and see if the choke is partially on. :D :)

:)

• Berserker

Posted May 09, 2005 - 01:30 PM

I wish it were so easy - unfortunately it's not. That was the first thing that I checked.

• JackAttack

Posted May 09, 2005 - 01:37 PM

Did it go back to running fine after you disconnected the TrailTech?

Is your TrailTech mounting hardware interfering with the manual decomp hardware? :D

From your sig it looks like you have a 03 650, have you ever changed the plug? :)

:D

• Berserker

Posted May 09, 2005 - 01:44 PM

The Trailtech is not interferring with it though that is a good question. I had originally moved the levers out a little on the bar and found that If I made a right turn it was opening the manual decomp and stalling the bike. Fixed that though.

It is an 03 but it's a new 03. I bought it from the dealer showroom 4 weeks ago. I don't think that it's the plug. Can having the stock exhaust with the other mods have destroyed the plug already? I put about 4 hours on the bike with the jetting and stock pipe.

• frankstr

Posted May 09, 2005 - 01:47 PM

Stock Exhaust, Maybe its to chocked up on the ex end... :)
Your getting more in but its not flowing out....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JackAttack

Posted May 09, 2005 - 01:50 PM

The Trailtech is not interferring with it though that is a good question. I had originally moved the levers out a little on the bar and found that If I made a right turn it was opening the manual decomp and stalling the bike. Fixed that though..

It is an 03 but it's a new 03. I bought it from the dealer showroom 4 weeks ago. I don't think that it's the plug. Can having the stock exhaust with the other mods have destroyed the plug already? I put about 4 hours on the bike with the jetting and stock pipe.

That will not ruin the plug.

If it ran good once with that set-up it should be fine now.

If the only thing you messed with was the handlebar controls, you should maybe check the kill-switch.

You could try to pull the baffle from the pipe and run it for a while. :)

:D

• Berserker

Posted May 09, 2005 - 01:50 PM

Sort of like a potatoe in the tail pipe eh? The thing is why did it work so well the first time out but now it hesitates even with constant throttle at 10mph? I was wondering about the air mixture, etc.....

• frankstr

Posted May 09, 2005 - 02:39 PM

Pull the spark plug it probly is all sooted up........ :)

• Berserker

Posted May 10, 2005 - 05:32 AM

Well, Pulled the plug on it last night - looks clean. cleaned it anyhow and put it back in. Tested it but no luck. The hesitation and stuttering is still there. :)

• roadcam

Posted May 10, 2005 - 05:40 AM

this probably sounds lame, but is there any chance you got a dose of bad gas ?

• TimBrp

Posted May 10, 2005 - 06:38 AM

4 strokes can be very finicky when it comes to jetting. Fart near em' and it could throw it all off. What clip position is your needle in? Should be the 3rd. Secondly pull out the pilot and clean it(it sounds clogged) and compare the emulsion holes on the supposed "68s" you purchased with your original 65s. Make sure the hole sizes are the same, not similar, the same. Get the exhaust HRC tip soon.... Finally have you pulled the airbox restrictions out yet? All this added gas and zero increase in airflow in or out would cause a rich condition and give you some sputtering.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 9 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.