Engine hestitating after mods...

20 replies to this topic
  • MAD MEX

Posted May 09, 2005 - 12:36 PM

OK, so I did the Uni Filter and the Snorkle removal and installed a FMF powercore 4 pipe on it, took it out and the engine overheated immediately, RPM was too high, so I adjusted the carburation thing to idle at lower rpms. Anyhow, I let it warm up before the ride and while ridding I notice hesitation at acceleration, it's like a small BURP and then it disappears.

I was reading a magazine this morning and found a product that eliminates this problem, it's like an acceleration pump cover or something, my questions is this something that could take care of the problem or is it re-jetting necessary for my bike?????

Thanks in advance for your comments on this!!!!

MAD MEX

• miguelitro

Posted May 09, 2005 - 12:47 PM

it is important to rejet after these mods to avoid a lean condition. Adjusting the carb air mix or idle adjusters should only be done once the jetting is done and only for very fine tuning.

check out this sites jetting guide-
www.xr650r.us

it helped me out alot.
Mike

• jlpskydive

Posted May 09, 2005 - 01:02 PM

If you have done all those mods to the L and still have stock jetting, park it until you do this. L Carb mods that must be done
You are running VERY LEAN. BTW this really wakes the bike up. :)

• BWB63

Posted May 09, 2005 - 01:23 PM

OK, so I did the Uni Filter and the Snorkle removal and installed a FMF powercore 4 pipe on it, took it out and the engine overheated immediately, RPM was too high, so I adjusted the carburation thing to idle at lower rpms. Anyhow, I let it warm up before the ride and while ridding I notice hesitation at acceleration, it's like a small BURP and then it disappears.

I was reading a magazine this morning and found a product that eliminates this problem, it's like an acceleration pump cover or something, my questions is this something that could take care of the problem or is it re-jetting necessary for my bike?????

Thanks in advance for your comments on this!!!!

MAD MEX

Your bike is way tolean and will be damaged real fast if you ride it like that. When you do any intake/exhuast work you must rejet.
What bike?

Places to look for the XR650R:

http://xr650r.borynack.com/

http://www.xr650r.us/

http://www.qsl.net/n...ing the brp.htm

• frankstr

Posted May 09, 2005 - 01:55 PM

Sounds too lean.... :D It would help matters also to let us know what model of bike your working on....... :)

• my98mugen

Posted May 09, 2005 - 02:22 PM

the 650r does not have a acceleraton pump so that product will not work.
that for the FCR carb found on most 450's

• MAD MEX

Posted May 09, 2005 - 02:53 PM

it's a XR650R 2003

• BWB63

Posted May 09, 2005 - 03:35 PM

If you un-corcked the bike (removed the rubber and plastic plugs in the air box, changed or modified the intake insulator, HRC muffler tip / after marker muffler or drilled out the stock muffler tip to 2") and did not change the jetting from the Stock 65s pilot, 135 main, b53d needle to a 68s or 70s pilot, 170~178 main and a b53e needle then you are way leen. Scary lean. melt down your motor lean.

• MAD MEX

Posted May 09, 2005 - 04:05 PM

ANyone that could recammend a good shop to re-jet this thing in L.A., dunno of any good places here in Los Angeles, but if it's scary lean then I need to take action right away, anyone?????

• DEZRIDR

Posted May 09, 2005 - 04:26 PM

ANyone that could recammend a good shop to re-jet this thing in L.A., dunno of any good places here in Los Angeles, but if it's scary lean then I need to take action right away, anyone?????

just do it yourself :D its real easy :) just follow the links above..................

any questions ??? just ask :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beer_studd_76

Posted May 09, 2005 - 04:56 PM

your hop-ups probably leaned out your jetting.

• needsprayer

Posted May 09, 2005 - 05:07 PM

MAD MEX,

You should take the carburetor off the XR650R and save it. Throw the rest of the parts away. :)

• MAD MEX

Posted May 09, 2005 - 10:22 PM

just do it yourself :) its real easy :) just follow the links above..................

any questions ??? just ask :D

OK so I saw the link, looks like something I could do but I have never done carbs in my life, Any chance you live around the LA area and help a brother out get this done????? I'll start ordering the parts, and also, is there a kit with all these parts ready to be shipped from any vendor??? I'll be interested. BTW are all the parts mentioned in the link OEM or after market??? THANK YOU, your reply was truly appreciated!!!! :D

• BWB63

Posted May 09, 2005 - 10:50 PM

The carburetor insulator (intake boot between the carburetor and engine) can be modified to be just like the hop up one you buy. That will save you money. Take it off the bike take the square tin out of the center and then cut the rubber out leaving a 1/8" ridge. You can use the stock needle for now but, you have to raise the needle one clip (This meens you need to drop the clip on the needle one spot) You can get the pilot and main jet at any Motorcycle shop and the b53E needle. Make sure you get a 68s or 70s (70s is better for where you live). You allready have the exhaust fixed. I live about 60 mile away, where the 60 freeway and the I-10 meet, North of Beaumont.

• DEZRIDR

Posted May 10, 2005 - 04:08 AM

OK so I saw the link, looks like something I could do but I have never done carbs in my life, Any chance you live around the LA area and help a brother out get this done????? I'll start ordering the parts, and also, is there a kit with all these parts ready to be shipped from any vendor??? I'll be interested. BTW are all the parts mentioned in the link OEM or after market??? THANK YOU, your reply was truly appreciated!!!! :)

i picked up all the parts from baja designs except for the 68s - i got that from the local dealer. my bike ran the best with the 68s pilot, 172 main, the 53 needle in the middle with the HRC tip - i played with the 70s and tried the 175 thru 180 main jets if you open up your airbox go with a 175 or 178 main :)

i live in mission viejo area if you need any help or get a hold of bruce (BWB63) he has been a great help over the last few years with my bike - hell i am still running his stock pipe :D

jeff

• skyriver

Posted May 10, 2005 - 12:09 PM

FMFracing.com has info on the jetting that's recommended w/ the Power Core VI.

• MAD MEX

Posted May 10, 2005 - 12:27 PM

Your choice: HONDA --> 2003 --> XR650R

Select another bike

Jetting Information
Main Jet: 175
Pilot Jet: STOCK
Needle: STOCK
Needle Position: 4TH (CA 5TH)
Power Jet: N/A
Air Screw: N/A
Fuel Screw: STOCK
Comments: "Remove airbox lid snorkel and airbox plugs. We recommend using Honda's ""Full Power"" needle and intake manifold. Whe using the optional needle

This is what FMF racing says, is this like a quick fix, cause it looks like you guys have a better way to make the PIG even perform much better!!! :)

• BWB63

Posted May 10, 2005 - 02:00 PM

Call me, and drop it by as soon as you can. Or I can pick up your bike in Rialto in an hour. 3pm now.

You asked if I live by the 243 in your PM.
I do live in Cherry Valley not far from the 243. My Dad lives on the 243, right after you pass the Vista Grande Ranger station, after that cool "S" turn and then you hit wide open on the straight away and then lay it way over to the right. A screem on that bike of yours :) Got rid of the GSX and now I have a ST1300 for the wife and I.

It's no big to fix you up and then go for a ride :D

• jlpskydive

Posted May 10, 2005 - 03:51 PM

This frikin site is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• MAD MEX

Posted May 11, 2005 - 11:07 AM

This frikin site is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH you better believe that!!!!! I went down to Bruce's last night, this guys is freaggin awesome, not only he uncorcked my bike but went through the whole bike mechanism with me, he was just off the hook!!!!! Bruce, I take this opportunity to thank you for all your help, and honestly, after you took it out for a little spin and saw how you handle the PIG, I was just looking forward the day I get to ride with you!!!!!! I came home around 2 a.m. and couldn't wait to jump on it and go around the block, "unreal" the difference this jetting and uncorcking was going to make on the bike.

BRUCE thanks for all your feed back on the bike, you really know what you're talking about when it comes to this PIG.

R is for racing........ :) :D :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.