$248 for a new starter!!!! OUCH!

8 replies to this topic
  • bob_mcmahon

Posted May 09, 2005 - 09:19 AM

Has anyone found any place besides yamaha to buy a starter for a wr450? Mine burnt the armature up and the dealer said $248 for a new one. It is only 3 months old and the friggen starter is already out.

Bob

• BajaFool

Posted May 09, 2005 - 09:32 AM

Check out the advertisers in the back of any of your motorcycle magizines. There are usually companies that advertise rewinding services. Depending on where you live, you can try automotive electric companies in your area for a quote.
Beg and plead for "customer good will" from your dealer. If they don't give the new starter to you, maybe you can talk them in to giving it to you for invoice.

• C-ya

Posted May 09, 2005 - 09:33 AM

I would try salvage yeards (look in the back of the mags) or ebay. If it is still working, it should last a little while, and will be less than dealer's new. Some salvage yards offer a 30 or 90 day on hard electricals (most won't cover "black boxes").

Another option is to find an electric motor shop in town and see what a rewind would cost.

• Gadsen

Posted May 09, 2005 - 09:37 AM

Has anyone found any place besides yamaha to buy a starter for a wr450? Mine burnt the armature up and the dealer said $248 for a new one. It is only 3 months old and the friggen starter is already out.

Bob

There is outfits online that sells motorcycle starters. I dont recall the site, but a search engine should reveal one. Burnt up a 3 month old starter? Excess cranking time will do it everytime. Careful, if it doesnt start in 5 seconds, stop and look for another reason.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beakr

Posted May 09, 2005 - 09:55 AM

:D *&%$@! dealers! If you were to buy a motorcycle 1 part at a time from the parts counter, the thing would cost you $50,000 by the time you were done. :) :)

• gregwr450f

Posted May 09, 2005 - 03:13 PM

and that's why bikes are so cheap, they make their money on the spares.

• RichBaker

Posted May 09, 2005 - 03:24 PM

http://www.zanottimotor.com/
or http://myweb.cableon...otors/Parts.htm
Both are dealers with very inexpensive internet prices. They easily beat BikeBandit and others....

• DesertWR

Posted May 09, 2005 - 03:46 PM

Bob

Check here for $204.00
http://yamaha.dgy.com/parts.aspx

• Indy_WR450

Posted May 09, 2005 - 04:29 PM

I dont feel so bad buying NCMountainman's e-start hardware for back up parts including , battery, starter, torque limiter, starter gears, wiring harness and starter clutch for $250.00 . :D Wow that motor is expensive. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.