Electical/Lighting help

11 replies to this topic
  • ryster

Posted May 08, 2005 - 08:54 PM

How does one know if the stator has gone bad or needs rewinding?
I am trying to get street legal here in Utah. I bought the under the fender led tail/brake light from Baja Designs :) and a horn and mirror :) and the bike does not seem to produce enough juice to power everything. If I disconect headlight and horn my tail light works ,and to get my horn to work I have to disconnect head and tail lights.My headlight and stock tail light have always worked pretty well, and I thought led took less juice? Or could it be the voltage regulator?

Thanks in advance :D

• 1rkcooper

Posted May 08, 2005 - 10:08 PM

If the headlight or any lights work then your stator/lighting coil is working.
Give some info on the bike, it may be of some help.
Trailtech.net will give you advice and help, give them a try.

• KiltLifter

Posted May 09, 2005 - 09:08 AM

Baja Designs states that '03+ WRs need a "stator modification" to run their kit. The mod is only $30, so it's not a rewind, perhaps they're separating or joining taps or something.

If we knew what bike you had it would help. :)

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted May 09, 2005 - 12:13 PM

Did you replace the stock voltage regulator with a the BD rectifier/regulator? If so, you are losing a lot of power. If you did, it's a good chance that is the culprit.

• ryster

Posted May 09, 2005 - 07:49 PM

Sorry it's a 98 wr400 - stock regulator. Probably stator? :)

• 02YZ426

Posted May 09, 2005 - 08:06 PM

Take a volt meter and test the output on the power wire and see how much juice your getting. If theres suffecient voltage, then maybe you have a bad wire or something.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ryster

Posted May 09, 2005 - 08:23 PM

Should it be pushing around 12 volt?

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted May 10, 2005 - 08:31 AM

If you have a multimeter, you can check the stator to see if it is good. I don't know the resistance values off the top of my head, but you can verify if the stator is still good. If you have a manual, look in the electrical section and it details exactly how to check it.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted May 10, 2005 - 08:36 AM

Do you have an AC horn? Most motorcycle horns are DC. Without a rectifier, a DC horn will not work on your bike because your bike puts out AC power. I don't know what the internal difference between the two is but if you put a DC device in an AC circuit there could be problems.

• ryster

Posted May 10, 2005 - 10:16 AM

I will check both, and the wiring. Thanks for the help :)

• tntmo

Posted May 10, 2005 - 10:27 AM

I have the info on the Baja Designs stator mod at home. Shoot me a PM and I'll send it your way when I get home.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted May 11, 2005 - 12:38 PM

You should also check your switches and connections. When my bike has gotten really grungy, like after I have ran through mud or a lot of water, sometimes the switches have trouble making contact. I'm thinking specifically of the main headlight switch but you may have other switches on your bike. I give them a shower of contact cleaner and blow them out with compressed air. Everything seems to work better afterwards and the headlight is brighter. Just a thought.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.