does anyone hunt pheasant?????? or quail or grouse

19 replies to this topic
  • fred

Posted November 13, 2000 - 10:55 PM

Not to change the topic..
but I jusy got back from hunting with my two Germanwirehairs.. And was wondering if anyone else on here hunts birds and in which states...
I hunt in western Pa, stocked birds for pheasant, wild grouse and sometimes quail..

• Scott

Posted November 13, 2000 - 11:42 AM

Yup, used to bird hunt quite a bit when I lived in Iowa. Grouse hunted in Upper Penn, MI as well. Haven't hunted since I moved to CO. My dog misses it. I ask, "Where's the bird", and he heads over and stares at the ol' stuffed ringneck on the wall. :)

------------------
99WR,WR timing,throttle stop removed,Uni filter,E-Series pipe,carbon air box,Pro Tapers,lights removed,YZ tank,13 tooth sprocket

• fred

Posted November 13, 2000 - 01:14 PM

thats pretty good..
got a laugh out of that one...
my dogs every morning, sit by the doors of their pens, waiting for me to load them in the truck....

• Scott

Posted November 13, 2000 - 01:33 PM

My dog's pen is a queen size bed that he kindly shares with my wife and I.

• TW

Posted November 13, 2000 - 04:24 PM

Hunt some upland, alot of waterfowl followed by spring turkey in NE. Have a controlled shooting area just north of my place, but absolutely refuse to go there. Have a choclate lab that loves to hunt.

------------------
99 WR400
BRC
NOHVA
AMA

• kevin_in_Michigan

Posted November 13, 2000 - 05:17 PM

Sure do--The bird hunting is pretty fine in Southeastern Lower Michigan. I hunt over my 3 yr. old German Shorthair Pointer. If anyone is in the neighborhood from Sept.-Dec. E-mail me and I will show you some good bird hunting. Just got back from Williamsburg, Iowa pheasnat hunting. Not such a great trip this time but still eventful for the dog ! I am relatively new to the board and the Wr400 and I must say they are both GREEEEAAATTTT !!!!!!!

• kevin_in_Michigan

Posted November 13, 2000 - 05:18 PM

Sure do--The bird hunting is pretty fine in Southeastern Lower Michigan. I hunt over my 3 yr. old German Shorthair Pointer. If anyone is in the neighborhood from Sept.-Dec. E-mail me and I will show you some good bird hunting. Just got back from Williamsburg, Iowa pheasnat hunting. Not such a great trip this time but still eventful for the dog ! I am relatively new to the board and the Wr400 and I must say they are both GREEEEAAATTTT !!!!!!!

• kevin_in_Michigan

Posted November 13, 2000 - 05:18 PM

• GRC

Posted November 13, 2000 - 08:34 PM

Sure do used to live in Ga., hunted Quail and Ducks. I never new what good bird hunting was until I moved to No. Nevada. To all of you guys that think it a desolet desert. Perfect, cause we only had 3 hatches of Quail and (Damn! Was that a bird or a small jet?) Chucker. For anyone that has never hunted Chucker the first time is for fun and after that it is REVENGE. I have a top notch 5 year old Visla and a Lap Pup anytime any of you guys is in the area just e-Mail me and we will go. Bring you Hiking boots and plenty of shells. I also give free Chucker cussing lessons.

• Gary_Martin

Posted November 14, 2000 - 12:46 AM

pheasant plucking is the best part, plucking pheasants is a family job...handed down from father to son etc etc. As yet im not really the pheasant plucker but just the pheasant pluckers son; I only pluck pheasants till the pheasant plucker comes...

Sorry guys !!

Gary
Oz

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bill

Posted November 14, 2000 - 03:20 AM

Upland game is my favorite! Also hunt deer, dove and rabbits.

Who said this? "Shoot them on the rise Junior".

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

• sam

Posted November 14, 2000 - 06:03 AM

I shoot driven pheasant and partridge in Scotland and the occasional duck, snipe,woodcock and pidgeon.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted November 14, 2000 - 12:58 PM

Heh heh - he said woodcock -heh heh heh

• Hick

Posted November 14, 2000 - 02:18 PM

Just came back from a deer hunt at my dad’s place. Didn’t see anything worth shooting (thank God). Deer hunting is fine until you actually shoot one. That’s when the work starts. Plus I firmly believe that anyone who says they like venison is:

1) Lying through his teeth.
2) Prepares it in such an involved manner that even shoe leather would taste good.

Having said that, I will not hesitate to eat Elk.

A lot of my friends still bird hunt (quail, dove and some ducks/geese) but I haven’t gotten the urge since high school, plus I don’t have the patience for a dog. I do like to shoot trap/skeet though.

• Tree_Crippler

Posted November 14, 2000 - 03:55 PM

Fred
Got a couple the other day. I also have 2 bears eating my garbage, one about 150lbs and the other around 375. Eastern PA.

• Bill

Posted November 15, 2000 - 03:27 AM

Hick,

Have the butcher "cube steak" it. This is where they run a steak size piece through a tenderizer. Then bread it and add the spice of your choice (cajun is mine) and pan or deep fry it. You may serve it this way or even place the fried steaks into a pan and cover with some gravy and simmer, great over rice.

Not the healthiest recipe, but very tasty.

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

• Eric_in_WA

Posted November 16, 2000 - 04:50 PM

I have hunted ducks, pheasant, and grouse, but my all time favorite hunting sport is hunting crows!! There is nothing more satisfying than watching a crow come spiralling down after he has been nailed by #5 shot from 12 guage. :D Keep in mind these pesky crows tear up my corn :)

The trick to hunt crows is to get a call, good camo and 12 guage. The most amazing thing is as long as the calling continues and they don't see me they come back even after they have been shot at. They think their buddy is dying and they are :D

And I keep blasting :D

Eric in WA

• Hick

Posted November 17, 2000 - 12:52 PM

Eric,

You need to teach me how to kill ravens. They eat feed meant for our cattle and ruin the water in all the drinkers where they congregate on our ranch. They have got to be the smartest birds on the planet, I swear they can tell the difference between a shotgun and a rifle. You pull out a shotgun and they’ll stay in their tree until you’re about 100 yards away. Whip out a rifle and they take off instantly. If you’re unarmed they will linger until you are at arm’s length.

Also, we used to call our horses in to throw them a bale by whistling, but those pesky ravens mimic our whistling so much that the horses ignore it.

Before any animal lovers jump on me you should know that, in years of trying, I’ve killed one raven, and that was at 300 yards with a .223 (pure luck). They do look cool, but on the food chain are right next to buzzards but are much more plentiful.

• Mark

Posted November 17, 2000 - 12:56 PM

They are lower on the food chain and brain chain than Gophers (Prarie Dogs)?

• Eric_in_WA

Posted November 19, 2000 - 06:15 AM

Hick,

In my crow hunting I nailed 3 yesterday. Not a lot of crows, but my wingshooting was great - 3 birds in 4 shots!!

As far how to hunt crows take a look at http://www.crowbusters.com/

Mark,

While crows are annoying, they are one of the smartest animals I know of. It is a good thing they don't have hands or they would steal us blind. The trick is we just have to be smarter :)

Eric in WA

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.