Lowering the Seat Height

2 replies to this topic
  • BRP27

Posted May 08, 2005 - 02:21 PM

What tool is used to shave seat foam to make a seat lower. A sharp knife and then use an abrasive to smooth it out? :)

My son (vertically challenged, 12 years old) has a hard time one legging a full size bike but is determined he is going to ride a full size bike. We are not in the bike selection phase, we are committed to a full size bike(KX125).

We are also considering lowering the sub frame mount to lower the seat height also.

I know there are mostly large folks riding the BRB... But has anyone seen or heard how this is done? :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • needsprayer

Posted May 08, 2005 - 08:29 PM

BRP27,

I created a notch where the seat meets the tank. I used a black felt tip pen to outline the area to be removed and made an initial cut with a razor knife. Then I used a long fillet knife that extended beyond the foam and made a fillet-like cut removing the whole section.

I slide up into the notch when I come to a stop. This and a kouba lowering link allows me to get my feet on the ground.

Seat foam cutout

Seat foam cutout upside down view

Kouba lowering link

Later I hollowed out the center of the foam toward the rear and added softer foam, building up the area for comfort on longer rides.

Seat foam added

Full side view

• bikemadtim

Posted May 08, 2005 - 10:33 PM

I took my XR seat to an upholsterer, he removed half of the standard foam and put half again back but in. The bit he put back in was in the form of that "gel" type stuff. It is lower by about 2" and also more comfy on a longer ride.

Some people have had success using an electric carving knife.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.