The "Ole" YZ 450 Dilema

10 replies to this topic
  • Question_Man

Posted May 08, 2005 - 01:19 PM

Guys i have a problem and i cant stop thinking about it. I am looking at getting a 450 (nothing but blue) and face a few problems.

1) I have never raced before but am starting to learn and am hoping i will be slightly decent enough to race for next year's season, and am scared that the 450 isnt the type of bike you should be riding when your trying to learn the basics.

2) I will more than likley be buying a used bike that is in good shape. But i hear that the older big blue thumpers are often refered to as "bruisers" and have come to find out that these bikes mean buisnness when it comes to power.

3) Is this even the bike for me? I have pondered weither or not i should get a YZ250f but am scared that i will be disapointed and wished i had gotten the 450 in the long run. Getting the 250f is even a step down from what i am riding now which is a 94 YZ 250 that bogs like hell but can scream when its in the mood.

Anyways pease help me out guys, I'd appreciate it alot.

Specs- 5'11"
170lbs

:) TT
:) :D

• ncmountainman

Posted May 08, 2005 - 02:10 PM

fo'fiddy,you can detune it enough so that it won't kill ya while getting used to it.ex; put a wr throttle stop in,get a tunable exhaust and work up to full power. go a tooth taller etc. the 250f is gonna take alot more $$ to make anywhere near that kinda power. :)

• flintlock28

Posted May 08, 2005 - 04:48 PM

I say go for it.... I am a 40 year old guy who 3 weeks ago bought a 2004 Yz 450f with only about 50 hours on it. I too was intimidated after hearing reviews of it from others on the net. I haven't ridden a Motocross bike in about 18 years (had 100, 125 ,and 250 cc bikes as a teenager) I have put about 10 hours of riding on it in the last 3 weeks, and I'm having a blast with it. It is all stock, but the power is incredible from the old Yz's that I rode many years ago. My first day of riding I was scared, but did a very respectable job of riding trails and Coal pits in Pennsylvania for 4 hours. I had the front tire wash out on me twice that day at low speed, but the rest of the day went fine. Some recommendations:
1) Throttle management is the key....you don't need much twist to get this fire-breather going. The longer you ride the more comfortable you'll get with it.

2) Make sure the rear suspension is set up for YOUR weight (race sag, static sag, etc.) That first day in a hurry, I didn't bother to check it, and the bike handled rather squirrely, until I reset it to my weight. It was great in the straightaways, but it was rather nervous in the turns.

3) I have had several people on this forum tell me to get rid of the standard Dunlop front tire (739g model...I believe) because it is known to wash-out. I still have it on, but my new Dunlop 756 just arrived, and I'll be putting it on along with a Maxxis IT rear tire. On the trail a number of times before correcting the rear suspension, the front tire would suprise me, but Friday I rode on a regular Motocross track and the 739 felt fine(Hardpack) I'm gonna put the 756 on anyway to keep from eventually dumping me.

Overall I'm very pleased with this bike...it can be a brute, but with proper throttle management, it is very manageable. In fact with my getting used to her, I am doing rather well at trail riding occasionally in some rather slow, log-ridden, tight areas that need good clutch management. Remember this baby has a light flywheel from the factory, and at first I was stalling out 6 or 7 times a day. Now it's relatively rare.

Hope this helps......Don

now I just need to get myself in better shape to keep up with the bike (Sore quadriceps, hands, triceps, and shoulders)

• MichiganMXer

Posted May 09, 2005 - 05:52 AM

Rule 1. Never ride over your head.

Rule 2 Everyone falls.

Rule 3 Everyone falls.

• devilsslide

Posted May 09, 2005 - 08:19 AM

450 for sure... I weigh 150 and am 5'7"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vanisland

Posted May 09, 2005 - 08:25 PM

I agree you should go for the 450. I was in a similar scenario as flintlock28. I'd rode alot when I was younger and I'd been away from riding about 20 years and bought a used yz426. Took a little while to get used to the power and the starting drill. But now that I've made a few adjustments on the bike and have gotten used to it, I have no regrets. The bike has been great.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted May 10, 2005 - 05:49 AM

Guys i have a problem and i cant stop thinking about it. I am looking at getting a 450 (nothing but blue) and face a few problems.

1) I have never raced before but am starting to learn and am hoping

Getting the 250f is even a step down from what i am riding now which is a 94 YZ 250 that bogs like hell but can scream when its in the mood.

Anyways pease help me out guys, I'd appreciate it alot.

Specs- 5'11"
170lbs

:) TT
:) :D

I honestly think that your older 94 YZ 250 is a step down from a 250F.

My recommendation would be to ride a YZ250F. Given your weight and experience I think a 250 would better suit you then a 450.

I have seen several people who don't have the experience go out and get a brand new 450F. They either get hurt or will never be able to ride the pace and have fun like they would on a 250. I also wouldn't rule out a YZ250. This would be the middle ground between a 250F and 450F.

Hope this helps, :D

• TexN343

Posted May 10, 2005 - 06:28 AM

Why would you ever rule out a NEW yz250. Those bikes scream (when on the pipe) forever. Depends on your riding style for which bike you choose. I like to flow with the track rather than bump and grind it.

• motodave289

Posted May 10, 2005 - 03:09 PM

I agree with flintlock also,bought my 450 in 03 and like it.I have put flywheel weight and 47t sprocket to tame it down some.Was a slow C class rider when I got it,now
can hang with some B riders.

• yz_for_me

Posted May 10, 2005 - 03:56 PM

I was in a similar situation about 3 years ago. I had a clapped out '92 YZ250 and was pretty new to riding MX (had ridden trails for several years). After riding a friends YZ400, I bought an '01 426 and have NEVER regreted it. The 426's power intimdated me a little at first, but I just took it easy until I got used to it. I had so much more fun on the 426 and rode it a lot more than my yz250. My skills increased much quicker after upgrading to the 426. I think this was partly due to the 426 being 10 years newer (10 years better technology) and partly due to me riding a lot more often. In any case, If you're riding a 250 now (even if it is 10 years old) I would not hesitate to step up to a 450. There will be a bit of a learning curve, but you'll get used to it and you won't regret it.

• kizzle426

Posted May 10, 2005 - 08:51 PM

I don't know if this will help you much, seeing as how I weigh 230 and am 6'3", but I got an '02 426 after having a '97 cr125, and I have never been happier. The 450's are a bit faster and have a little bit better suspension, but mine still rips. Go for the 450, you can learn to handle the power. And when you do, well, I'll go ahead and say your welcome now :) . STraight blue for the rest of my life!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.