Utah DS final steps

10 replies to this topic
  • cgun

Posted May 08, 2005 - 07:35 AM

I'm getting ready to try to get my WR450 street licensed here in Salt Lake City, Utah, but need to know the order of the final steps.

Right now I've got a set of DOT Kenda tires. Horn, mirror, brake light, etc (minimal kit). Now I need to know the legal process. I'm guessing these are the final steps and this is the order:

1. Insurance. What type is required?
2. Inspection. Do I just trailer the bike over to an inspection station? What documents do I need to take?
3. License. What do I need to take with me?

Anyone out here in the Cottonwood Heights area (7200 S 2000 E) that can recommend an inspection station that knows what is going on with these conversions?

Thanks,
Craig

• jhkinzinger

Posted May 08, 2005 - 04:34 PM

I'm not sure how much I can help but I'm going to be doing the same thing soon, hopefully buying a wr426 tomorrow. I talked to the DMV and what they told me was that I need insurance on the vehicle towing the bike. There are some street legal bikes on ksl.com here in town, saw ktm exc 380, wr400, and wr 426, you might try giving them a call. let me know how it goes as I soon will follow, jon

• cgun

Posted May 14, 2005 - 03:22 PM

During the week I installed a $90 kit with mirror, brake light switch, horn, and license plate bracket. Today I put on $70 worth of Kenda TrakMaster IIs. I had to go to two different inspection stations since the first one refused to inspect it without turn signals (supposedly not required in Utah if they didn't come factory installed). I finally got my inspection (and won't need another one for two years!) although they told me I will get ticketed if I ride it on the road without the turn signals.

Next, I had to call Yamaha to get them to send me a title (I bought mine on Yamaha's 4.9% plan). Once I get that I will head out to the DMV and try for my plate.

• N7SLC

Posted May 14, 2005 - 05:27 PM

Make sure you have a reflector and a license plate lamp...

ANY bike shop can do an inspection for you...

Yeah, just trailer the bike down.

Liabilty insurance at a minimum...

When that's done:

Take ALL of your current paperwork (registration, title, etc...) with you along
with the inspection certificate that shows that the bike passed --> duh!

When you get to the counter tell the person on the other side that you want
to get the bike re-titled for the street. She/he will say OK and proceed to
make the changes in the computer. When she/he gets to the one option in
the computer to change from off road to street that person will get a dumb
look on their face and will tell you, "I'm sorry sir, the computer won't let me
make the change".

You then respond by saying, "You'll need to call uptown to have the main
office make the change". That person will then call the main office and
the person at the main office needs to "allow" the local DMV to make the
change.

Once that's done, everything goes smoothly.

You surrender your current offroad title, get a plate, pay out the nose
for the privilege of riding on the road legally and finally....go ride! :)

Dan

• cgun

Posted May 14, 2005 - 06:30 PM

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I will just print this out and take it with me. I would not have known what to do when they hit the "I can't change that" problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • firezwr426

Posted May 18, 2005 - 05:54 PM

I live in ogden and am always up for a dual sport ride... pm me if you are interested... :)

• cgun

Posted May 23, 2005 - 10:24 AM

Well, failed at first attempt!

I bought my WR on the 24 mo. low interest plan. I called Yamaha two weeks ago to tell them what I was doing and to request my title. They sent me a photo copy of the title. When I got to the DMV they were at first going to accept the copy, but then the person helping me had to call over a supervisor for some help. At that point the supervisor said they would not accept a copy and had to have the original title. They gave me a sticker with the address of the DMV (Pending Files) and asked me to have it sent there.

Another call to Yamaha and the original title is on it's way to the DMV. Unfortunately it looks like my Memorial Day ride is going to be somewhere other than where I originally planned :-(

The DMV also had me fill out an Ownership Statement (Form TC-569A MVA Rev. 9/01). Those in Utah may want to have that ready ahead of time.

• cgun

Posted June 06, 2005 - 05:53 PM

Finally! I just put my plate on the bike! It took about 10 days to get Yamaha to send my title to the DMV, but it finally made it last Friday. 45 minute trip to the DMV, plus $38.50 to the state - and I'm legal.

Just as I had been warned, the clerk at the DMV could not change my registration to "street" from "off highway" without calling the main office. That took all of 5 minutes.

Now I think I'm going to look into some type of cheap turn signals just to make me feel a bit safer on the road.

I also bought a 12-9005 switch from Baja Designs that has horn, kill, turn signal, and head light off/hi/low. This is about as wide as the existing kill button. Handle bar space really gets tight when you stick on a mirror, horn button, and a GPS.

• allinson

Posted June 06, 2005 - 07:28 PM

Utah does not require turn signals unless "factory equipted". I have had to remind the state inspectors of this on several occassions. You will not get a ticket if you do not have turn signals. If you recall on your MC test you are required to demonstrate that you know right and left hand turn signals. You can get wrote up if you do not use your hands for signalling. I would join the UTMA. They are actively involved in the street legal process and in working with mechanics that know how and what is required to inspect a motorcycle. Street legal is the only way to go. Good luck.

• N7SLC

Posted June 07, 2005 - 04:50 AM

Finally! I just put my plate on the bike! It took about 10 days to get Yamaha to send my title to the DMV, but it finally made it last Friday. 45 minute trip to the DMV, plus $38.50 to the state - and I'm legal.

Just as I had been warned, the clerk at the DMV could not change my registration to "street" from "off highway" without calling the main office. That took all of 5 minutes.

Now I think I'm going to look into some type of cheap turn signals just to make me feel a bit safer on the road.

I also bought a 12-9005 switch from Baja Designs that has horn, kill, turn signal, and head light off/hi/low. This is about as wide as the existing kill button. Handle bar space really gets tight when you stick on a mirror, horn button, and a GPS.

SWEET!!! :)

Who says us Zuki guys can't help out you Blue guys once in awhile? :D

Turn signals aren't needed, but if you install them they must be functional
to pass inspection. I put them on because I feel more comfortable leaving
both hands on the bars in traffic... :)

• wakin

Posted June 07, 2005 - 10:20 AM

N7SLC - Why are you always trolling on the WR forum, deep down you wish you had a WR! j/k

Will I finally meet you this year on a ride up AF Canyon? Have you heard from Chris (Live2ride)? He rode with us last fall & I haven't heard from him since. I saw he picked up an 05' & that was one of the last posts.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.