Leg out on curves

8 replies to this topic
  • kwedean

Posted May 07, 2005 - 02:38 PM

Sorry for my ignorance but I'm a newbie at riding(and bought an xr650r to learn on :) ). Why do people kick their inside leg out when going thru curves? Is it to put more weight to the front?

• Hd_hubub

Posted May 07, 2005 - 07:23 PM

It offers some degree of stabilization if the front end washes out. Unless you've got legs like Thor, good luck keeping the BRP standing if you lose the front end. :)

• my98mugen

Posted May 07, 2005 - 07:38 PM

hahahahahahahahahahahah

• my98mugen

Posted May 07, 2005 - 07:43 PM

hahahahahahahahahahahaahhah
im drunk right know and that just sounds really funny

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The Haymaker

Posted May 08, 2005 - 04:01 AM

If you're using it to stabilize the bike, especially the 650r, I hope you have good medical insurance covering the knee area.

If you look, most of the guys in the pics aren't touching the ground. Throwing your leg forward weights the front wheel for more bite.......

E

• Tber

Posted May 08, 2005 - 08:26 AM

i always kick my leg out so my boots don't get caught in the rut

• Kritter

Posted May 08, 2005 - 11:43 AM

to weight the front is why you stick your leg forward. also if your rear end starts coming around you can hold yourself up and slide your foot in the dirt flat track style.

• StreetThumper650

Posted May 08, 2005 - 09:00 PM

i kick my knee out as habit from riden sport bikes but when i take a corner to fast i drag my foot on the asphalt incase my front washes out

• KillerPriller

Posted May 09, 2005 - 10:03 AM

watch SuperMoto guys for a while and you will see two riding styles.

Guys that come from street will throw a shoulder, elbow, knee, and chin into the turn. They lean body first, then bike. (body positioning over counter stearing)

Guys that come from dirt will throw bars, hips, and inside leg into the turn. They lean bike first, then body. (counter stearing over body positioning)

Two different styles, niether is wrong or right. But each is usefull in certain situations.

But to your specific question about tossing the leg forward, you should give it a try. Pick a low speed turn (1st or 2nd gear with birm). Try first with inside foot on the peg, dip the handlebar in, then blast out. Then try comming in forward on the tank, inside foot up by the front axle, dip the bars, and blast out. Keeping the front weighted makes it feel planted, solid, and predictable.

nk

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.