Clutch

6 replies to this topic
  • marcusmoberg

Posted May 06, 2005 - 10:13 PM

My dad said that if i hold the clutch in and rev up the engine to take off in second or take off fast that it will eventually burn up the clutch or damage the engine! I told him that's what dirtbikes are made for, abuse! :)
Is this true that it will damage the engine or clutch? I've never had any problem with the engine or the clutch!

• wildo

Posted May 06, 2005 - 10:52 PM

Im realy bord and can't sleep so I gues I will respond to this. Taking off in 2nd is good for a hole shot in deep soft sand but I hope you don't expect to beat all them banshies and raptors you drag race off the line. It will cause you to have to slip the clutch more there for using up your plates faster. It also puts more streas on your basket, chian and sprokets. I probably got a fluke but I snaped a finger off the basket on my 426 31 days after I bout the bike new. You do have a race bike so It can handel some abuse but more streas = more wear. Pleas excuse the spelling mistake I,m drunk and only half awake.

• WRookie

Posted May 06, 2005 - 11:57 PM

Your bike will be fine Marcus. I think the kid across the street planted that idea in your Dads head cuz you been bringing an open can of whupazz to all your drag races. Have fun.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • marcusmoberg

Posted May 07, 2005 - 08:53 PM

Im realy bord and can't sleep so I gues I will respond to this. Taking off in 2nd is good for a hole shot in deep soft sand but I hope you don't expect to beat all them banshies and raptors you drag race off the line. It will cause you to have to slip the clutch more there for using up your plates faster. It also puts more streas on your basket, chian and sprokets. I probably got a fluke but I snaped a finger off the basket on my 426 31 days after I bout the bike new. You do have a race bike so It can handel some abuse but more streas = more wear. Pleas excuse the spelling mistake I,m drunk and only half awake.

Taking off in 2nd is good for a hole shot in deep soft sand but I hope you don't expect to beat all them banshies and raptors you drag race off the line.
I can beat banshees and raptors in a drag race if there stock! If they were modded out no way. I would have to do some serious mods to mine to beat them! My second gear will do 35 MPH or more because i have a Electronic Speedometer! When I take off in second you have to rev it up so it won't bog down but when i do rev it up it throws some serious roost and takes off faster than any stock sport quad! My top speed is faster than a stock Raptor or any stock sport quad! I got it up to 85 MPH on the highway and I still had some throttle left to go! This bike is amazing! I'd like to race a stock Honda XR 650! It would be close! :)

• gregwr450f

Posted May 08, 2005 - 01:45 AM

That's the first time I've heard that an "electronic speedometer" will acually make your bike go faster.
You go hard Marcus, you little drag queen.

• rebel1916

Posted May 08, 2005 - 06:44 PM

i race flattrack on a yz 426 and i holeshot in second all the time. sure it might wear out the clutch a little faster but thats racing. it aint gonna hurt the engine tho unless your always revving the throttle with the clutch pulled in. if your not racing or practicing tho why bother.
on another note, while the way the question was phrased may have been stupid the question itself was reasonable. good work little marcus

• Gadsen

Posted May 08, 2005 - 06:56 PM

Marcus, have you considered nitrous :) Hey, you could conceal a bottle of giggle juice in your Camelback hydration system, have a quick connector running down to the fogger nozzles in the engine inlet. Whopping up on those Banshees would be a snap!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.