Excess Noise??

10 replies to this topic
  • jonnytmoto

Posted May 06, 2005 - 08:37 PM

:) Installed the E-Line carbon fibre skid plate on my '03 WR450 and it seems that it is reflecting engine noise back up...New noises that I did not hear before and the skid plate is the only new thing I did that ride...I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing after installing a full carbon skid plate????? :) :D

• mountainriderWR400F

Posted May 06, 2005 - 08:44 PM

Did you install the foam between the engine and skid plate? If not it will echo a lot of noise. Good choice in skid plates.

• jonnytmoto

Posted May 06, 2005 - 09:08 PM

Thanks, I did not install foam between skid plate and engine. Should it help with noise?? I did not as i thought it would be easier to clean dust out. Before skid plate i got the pipe guard. It has paid for its self over and over...

• tp3dxf

Posted May 06, 2005 - 09:09 PM

I hear that carbon skid plates don't bounce as much noise up as a metal skid plate. I have both. Carbon on my 2 stroke and Metal on my 4 stroke.

Either way I'll take a little extra noise for the extra protection they both provide. I think foam will help and also keep crud from getting between the plate and motor.

• jonnytmoto

Posted May 06, 2005 - 09:12 PM

Thanks..Thats what I will do is add the foam...Yeah either skid plate or frame..so easy choice and little weight..So now where to find the good black foam?? LOL

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tp3dxf

Posted May 06, 2005 - 09:32 PM

Spray paint it. Might get a little crunchy when it dries. Or soak it in black dye. It's all in the details.

• mtrablue

Posted May 09, 2005 - 06:32 PM

slice up an old inner tube or rim strap and put it between the frame and skid plate. it'll go a long way in damping the noise.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted May 09, 2005 - 07:42 PM

Thanks..Thats what I will do is add the foam...Yeah either skid plate or frame..so easy choice and little weight..So now where to find the good black foam?? LOL

What works great is butyl tape sometimes called "ribbon sealer" and its made by 3M. Same stuff they use to seat windseilds in. Its usuallt comes in 3/8", you can make it smaller by stretching it. Of course, it comes in a 15 foot roll. Only drawback, but it will hold it quiet!

• Desracer

Posted May 09, 2005 - 08:17 PM

How many miles do you have on this bike? I think at around 3000 miles or so I started hearing things. Turned out to be a loose nut on the crankshaft on the clutch side. You can check it by removing the small clutch cover with the bike layed over so you wont even have to drain the oil. You will need a flashlight and a screwdriver to check the pinion nut and gear which sets just in front of the clutch basket. If the nut is loose you have to remove the side cover to tighten. I used loctite and retorqued and had no trouble since. The engine does make noise, with this nut loose wow! I think the noise changed when I pulled the clutch lever in?

• billygoat

Posted May 11, 2005 - 06:16 PM

I've found that skid plates are great noise reflectors on every bike I've owned!

• rmracer27

Posted May 12, 2005 - 03:48 AM

I've found that skid plates are great noise reflectors on every bike I've owned!

Thats the same thing I have always found out... :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.