How can I make my stock muffler louder

29 replies to this topic
  • pwgunny

Posted May 06, 2005 - 07:46 PM

I would like to make my stock muffler a little louder maybe by drilling or any simple mod. Any ideas?

• smashinz2002

Posted May 06, 2005 - 08:18 PM

I've been researching this topic also, for the uncorking and re-jetting procedure for the DR bikes. . I read somewhere that the stock muffler can be drilled using a hole saw, similar to what some people do with the Honda XR650R.. There is a whole uncorking and re-jetting procedure for gaining more power, which includes opening up the airbox somehow, and the exhaust, and getting a jetting kit for the carb, all to increase power by about 20% or so. Not sure on actual numbers since I'm still trying to find out how to do all the mods. Good luck man .
L.L.

'05 DR650SE
'00 XR650R
'04 KX500

• Neville1

Posted May 06, 2005 - 09:01 PM

I could understand the point of the question if it was stated that you wanted it louder as the by product of the search for more power, but just maing it louder for noise sake doesn't make sense.

• misfitracer32

Posted May 06, 2005 - 09:09 PM

If ya want it louder than cut the can a few inches! :)

• pwgunny

Posted May 07, 2005 - 03:45 AM

Thanks for the replies. The reason I would like a little more volume from my pipes is I mostly ride on the street and I like being heard for safety reasons. The stock DR is a pretty quiet bike. I don't want to wake up the block, but a little louder would help.

• rodgertheshrubber

Posted May 07, 2005 - 09:15 AM

on my 350, i cut the end off with a sawsall about 3" from the end. i took out the "glasspack" part of it and i cut a larger hole in the tip. i then welded a new sliced cut tip on (13/16th, i think) and then welded it back to the rest of the muffler. it sounds alot better and combined the the jetting, airbox mod, header pipe grinding, and 1 tooth smaller front sprocked, it runs awesome.

• Chas_M

Posted May 07, 2005 - 09:21 AM

Thanks for the replies. The reason I would like a little more volume from my pipes is I mostly ride on the street and I like being heard for safety reasons. The stock DR is a pretty quiet bike. I don't want to wake up the block, but a little louder would help.

This rationale is bogus. Same argument that Harley riders use. There is no scientific evidence to back up the thesis that "Loud pipes save lives".

• milk

Posted May 07, 2005 - 11:07 AM

i recently got a supertrapp ids2(thanks superglide) and it's louder, lol. quite a bit louder as a matter of fact. i'm running it without any discs, lol, for now. sure did wake the bike up though and that's what i was going for but i do need to get some discs in it to tune it a bit better for max. performance.

• sirhurtsalot

Posted May 07, 2005 - 12:51 PM

This rationale is bogus. Same argument that Harley riders use. There is no scientific evidence to back up the thesis that "Loud pipes save lives".

Maybe not scientific but I've ridden my DR corked (stock) and uncorked (Supertrapp w/12 discs) in heavy traffic.

Uncorked I get noticed much more and turned into much less

• wr450fyamaha

Posted May 07, 2005 - 06:04 PM

you are an idiot, of corse louder pipes save lives, if u are riding a little ***** ass drz400, no one will be able to hear u coming, if u are riding a 1340 softail with straight through exhost, people will know u are there and that u are on a bike and may be hard to see. you are so stupid shut up and go jump in front of a damn truck!!! if i rode a drz400 on the road, i would cut the exhost off at about 12 inches from the head. that way, everyone would be able to hear me you idiot!!!!!

• saki302

Posted May 08, 2005 - 02:27 AM

Let us know how you REALLY feel! LOL!

The DR650 I ride is probably easier to see than many sportbikes due to its height. A little noise still makes me feel a bit safer though. I like my FMF Q pipe- it has a nice deep rumble, which though not too loud, does penetrate better than a shrill loud noise (supertrapp race). If you notice with guys that crank their stereos loud, the bass comes though the most when you're in the car with the windows up- same theory.
It sounds more like a car with an exhaust too, so I don't piss off the neighbors too much at night.. or at least they'll think it's a car! LOL!

I have a blaster-ized 200CC YSR50 which is loud enough to wake the dead, and high pitched, but that's another story. I don't ride it much- it's a noise ticket waiting to happen!

-Dave

• Guest_SGT_*

Posted May 08, 2005 - 05:11 AM

Noise on a motorcycle propagates behind you, so the idea that, for instance, a loud pipe keeps cagers in their lane and not turning into you isn't founded in science.

Sorry guys. I like loud bikes too, but they're not safer than stock piped ones.

• Dirty_Sanchez

Posted May 08, 2005 - 06:34 AM

Just get a megaphone, hold it up to your ear, stand behind your bike and have a buddy rev it to the moon.

Repeat for the other ear once the first has gone deaf.

Are you 13 and really that foolish?

Dirty

• yater

Posted May 08, 2005 - 07:08 AM

Why not just buy the biggest harley you can find? Or you could get some of those "clappers" for your spokes. I really don't think you should be riding in traffic

• sirhurtsalot

Posted May 08, 2005 - 10:46 AM

Noise on a motorcycle propagates behind you, so the idea that, for instance, a loud pipe keeps cagers in their lane and not turning into you isn't founded in science.

So if I hear a Harley (or a DR with a Supertrapp) coming down the street from 3 or 4 blocks away, am I just imagining it? since "Noise on a motorcycle propagates behind you :)

Who really friggin cares if it is not "founded in science" ??

Who are you? Bill Nye? :D

I like mine, its very obnoxious, Gives me some added attitude when running in traffic with a bunch of lowly cagers and soccer mom's

I pulled up on a guy on a bone stock DR400 the other day, all I could here was the damn chain rattling
:)

• Flealami

Posted May 08, 2005 - 05:13 PM

Don't any of you guys that claim a loud bike is no safer ever drive a car? When there is a Harley anywhere near my car....I KNOW IT. But I only know a BMW bike is near me when he passes me and I see it. The difference....guess.

Flea

• klas.karlsson

Posted May 09, 2005 - 07:00 AM

So true...
BUT: Noise also have a tendency to bump around on buildings, cars etc.
So - in dense traffic a loder pipe definetely can be heared better than a quiet one, even in front of the bike.

Also the direct noise propagates as a sphere - which means that it does not only bump around directly from the back but also from something like 30-90 degress on the sides. And since sound travles at 300 m/s (about 1000 kph) - it will reach people in front of you before you reach them with your bike, even if it has to "bump" one or two times :)

Then again - in practice: how much more safe are you anyway ? Even Harleys are hard to get the directions on before thay are right next to you . . .

Then I personally, do not like TOO loud pipes - they wreck the reputation of DP bikers in my opinion, and just annoy people, I dont like to find out that a local farmer puts barb wire on the road (which may be the road i take the next time) just because a gang of "loud" bikers has rode past his house on the countryside a bit too often . . . :D

Louder than stock, but quieter than 'race' is good :)

/K

• keysandslots

Posted May 09, 2005 - 09:17 AM

If you need a loud pipe in order to survive in traffic I guess we won't need to worry about you for long.

My DR650 has a Supertrapp can on it (along with the required new air filter and carb re-jetting) so it is definately louder than stock but given the sound-proofing on most modern cars now-a-days and the volume of the stereos in most of them, having a pipe loud-enough to make a difference is really only going to give more people yet another excuse to dislike motorcyclists.

In the 13 years I've been riding the DR, I have been cut-off by a car once but since I know how to ride in traffic it was no big deal. If you really want to survive in traffic, take a course in defensive riding and keep your eyes open. After you actually learn to ride in traffic, then you can start looking at louder pipes, for performance of course.

Randy

• mayner

Posted May 09, 2005 - 10:23 AM

my 2 cents:

Guys that like motorcycles notice motorcycles, loud or not.

Most car drivers not into motorcycles don't notice bikes, loud or not, unless they're right next to you.

Question:

Have you ever noticed how many car drivers don't even pull over for frigging ambulances now-a-days? Drinking their coffee, smoking their cig, and reaching back to smack the kid in the back seat seem to take up all their attention.

I like bikes and I like the sound of a loud bike. That being said, I don't think non-motorcycle riders notice a loud one anymore than they do a quiet one other than to think, for just a moment, "Wonder what that is?" Then they turn right in front of you. ;-)

• TT66

Posted May 09, 2005 - 02:21 PM

I ride with all season yellow suzuki jacket,headlight on high,and a mirror visor. You can be seen with out being loud.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.