88 XR 600 rear brake conversion ?

15 replies to this topic
  • scalawag

Posted May 06, 2005 - 09:45 AM

Has anyone converted an 88 XR600 to disk brake in the rear ?

• miguelitro

Posted May 06, 2005 - 10:31 AM

dont think it would be worth the $$$ but it would probly involve a new swing arm as the caliper stay would be diff from the drum not to mention mounting a resevoir, figuring out how to mount the new pedal. too much trouble i think
besides who uses their back brake anyways???

• scalawag

Posted May 06, 2005 - 10:37 AM

I would like to be able to make a panic stop on the street.
The rear drum in good shape can't brake the wheel loose on asphalt.

I was hoping somebody might know if a '91 or later wheel would be close.
I can fab the rest.

• miguelitro

Posted May 06, 2005 - 11:37 AM

shoot, wish ya had posted this afew weeks ago when i had my 91 600, icouldve helped ya more...

• atkxr600

Posted May 09, 2005 - 05:52 PM

Yes the wheel of the 91 is the same width as the drum brake wheel. The drum brake slid over a pin that stuck out from the inside of the swingarm. The 91 caliper mount slides into a grove on the inside of the swing arm.
I added a piece of aluminum to the bottom of the caliper mount, then cut a 15mm wide x 16.5mm deep keyway in the added piece. Caliper mount also needs to be machined at a 5 deg angle 40mm forward of axle center. This allows the caliper mount to slide onto the same pin as the drum did.
I could post pics of mine if you want.

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted May 10, 2005 - 05:19 PM

I have a complete brake system I'll sell ya. Caliper, mount, pads, hose, master, resevoir and brake pedal.

• XR250rdr

Posted May 11, 2005 - 12:30 PM

If Honda handled the changeover from drum -> disk on the 600 the way they did on the 250 the only custom work should be welding on the master cyl bracket. The swingarm should bolt up.

• scalawag

Posted May 13, 2005 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for the offer on the brake parts but I got everything at the cycle salvage and am done with the fab stuff. What I really need is an XL hub since it has the little rubber cushions. Without these, the countershaft spline will eventually get trashed from the street riding. I just had to tear my motor down to change it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beer_studd_76

Posted May 14, 2005 - 01:30 PM

it can be done. one local guy converted his old 84 XR350 to a disk rear.

• Tweeek

Posted January 24, 2006 - 10:58 PM

Yes the wheel of the 91 is the same width as the drum brake wheel. The drum brake slid over a pin that stuck out from the inside of the swingarm. The 91 caliper mount slides into a grove on the inside of the swing arm.
I added a piece of aluminum to the bottom of the caliper mount, then cut a 15mm wide x 16.5mm deep keyway in the added piece. Caliper mount also needs to be machined at a 5 deg angle 40mm forward of axle center. This allows the caliper mount to slide onto the same pin as the drum did.

Dragging out an old post here. Could you please post a pic of the modified caliper bracket? I am debating if its worth spending the $$ on a late model swingarm. I am also questioning my ability to weld a milled piece to the cast aluminum. Or, was it not necessary to weld a new piece on? I have yet to acquire a bracket... I was thinking about modifying one from a CBR since I'm using and F3 rear wheel for my motard project. Thank you.

• targetdrone

Posted January 25, 2006 - 12:30 AM

What I really need is an XL hub since it has the little rubber cushions. Without these, the countershaft spline will eventually get trashed from the street riding. I just had to tear my motor down to change it.

The XL hub is wider than an XR and will not fit in the XR swingarm. (I tried to change the rear suspension on my XL over to all XR parts.)

I have an extra XL600 hub I would trade for an XR600 hub (both are drum brake setups).

• DSTerry

Posted January 25, 2006 - 11:38 AM

I did this on my 89 XR600. You can take a look at this pictures here:

http://community.web...user/terrynshed

I ended up using a 1993 XR600 parts bike. Used everything from the swingarm back. Cut off the brackets from the 93 frame and welded them on my 89.

I was in the same situation. I wanted a rear disc for good stopping power and control on the street.

• mcswny

Posted March 18, 2016 - 09:05 AM

I did this on my 89 XR600. You can take a look at this pictures here:

http://community.web...user/terrynshed

I ended up using a 1993 XR600 parts bike. Used everything from the swingarm back. Cut off the brackets from the 93 frame and welded them on my 89.

I was in the same situation. I wanted a rear disc for good stopping power and control on the street.

Bringing back a super old thread. was wondering if you could post pictures of the conversion? your link isnt working

I have a 1997 xr6r, and bought a 1985 grandfathered, plated bike. swapping everything ever and registering as an 85 and just need to do this conversion for my back brake.

• valvesrule

Posted March 18, 2016 - 12:46 PM

Cheaper and easier to replace the swingarm with a 90s 600R or 650L arm. They can be pretty cheap on ebay

Edited by valvesrule, March 18, 2016 - 01:15 PM.

• mcswny

Posted March 18, 2016 - 01:02 PM

Cheaper and easier to replace the swingarm with a 90s 600R or 650L arm. They can be pretty cheap on ebay or I have an extra if interested.

Yeah this is my plan. I have an 85 plated frame and going to transfer everything from my 97 over (its otherwise impossible to get a plated XR in Oregon).

Really just wanting to see how people fab-ed up the brake reservoir and the brake pedal

Edited by mcswny, March 18, 2016 - 01:02 PM.

• valvesrule

Posted March 18, 2016 - 03:35 PM

If you follow the letter of the law California is the same. Somehow KTM gets away with not passing many of the vehicle code requirements to sell new bikes. I recently scrapped a DR250S and scavenged the brake caliper mount for the future possibility of a disc conversion. Calipers and cylinders are pretty much the same on all the Japanese brands just the axle mounts and rotors are different.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.