foul plug

3 replies to this topic
  • BC61

Posted May 06, 2005 - 09:20 AM

Recently had 426 motor rebuilt, been running like a champ. It has about ten hours on it, all trail stuff. Started it up yesterday, ran choke for maybe a minute then turned it off, put gear on, restarted and headed down the road. Got couple hundred yards down the trail and the bike stalled as I was slowing. Couldn't get it restarted. Pushed back to the house changed plug and fired right up. Never touched the throttle while trying to restart. What could have caused the plug to foul under normal riding conditions?

• kranswall

Posted May 06, 2005 - 09:37 AM

I've heard shutting the motor off before it is fully warmed up can do that.

My WR426F has given me some real starting headaches, these are my basic rules to avoid problems:

-If I start it up, I make sure to let it get fully warmed up before shutting it off
-Always use fresh gas (I had some 3 year old stuff = bad news)
-Don't touch throttle while it's not running

Push starting works great if your in a bind and just want to get it running. Go through the standard startup procedure (kick starter till at top, pull decomp lever and kick starter down slightly) but instead of kicking it over at the end just get it rolling and pop the clutch in first. A slight downhill helps obviously.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • curtains23

Posted May 06, 2005 - 12:24 PM

Was the plug wet or black, clean it with a wire brush if its black or dry it over a gas flame for 20seconds the wire brush it, check gap should then be OK if not replace with a Iradium tip, should never have a problem again.

• wxh_yzf

Posted May 07, 2005 - 08:21 PM

I had difficulty with fouled plugs constantly with my 00 426. I was running rich and would bog on the bottom. After many adjustment and needle changes the fuel/air mixture got better. The carbs are very tempramental. Until it was dialed in properly< i was fouling plugs with each ride. With a proper mixture this shouldn't happen. I only occasinally foul a plug. And, I find that this will typically happen when I don't let the bike get hot before killing it. Now... I won't crank it until I am ready to hit the track. This also seems to help.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.