....what exactly is "the pig"?......

12 replies to this topic
  • dirtyoldmanhands

Posted May 06, 2005 - 08:59 AM

.......is it any large XR?........(600r 650r 650l)......

.............or is it just the xr650r?.......

• dirtyoldmanhands

Posted May 06, 2005 - 09:02 AM

.........and also........."BRP".........is "big red pig"?..........i guess........

• Britnewbie

Posted May 06, 2005 - 09:24 AM

Take a look here buddy........... :)

http://www.thumperta...08&parentpage=2

• BWB63

Posted May 06, 2005 - 11:09 AM

The XL500/XR500R was the first Big Red Pig. Then the XR600R/XR600L and now the XR650R. I think the XR650L is the only real "True" BRP now being it is the heaviest and slowest. Then the XR650R and finaly the XR600R. It was a bad name at first that the Two Smoke guys would say to someone with a XR because, it was so big and heavy without the Two Smoke power. (I remember in 84 with my XR500, I was safe because I also had a 84 YZ490) Now it is a loving term used by the owners. With the ability to make 42hp out of a XR600R to the ground (up to 48hp if you tare into it) and 48hp out of the XR650R to the ground (58+ taring into it) and winning the Baja, other races and some big name riders having there name atached to them these bike are no longer big bikes for old farts. The only bike that has been left without power and way to heavy for the XR name is the XR650L, It should have been given the old XL650 name. It is what the BRP name was given for in the first place. Low horsepower to weight ratio. Steel tank, made for the street. Nice bike for what it was made for but, not a race bike.

Now we call them Oinkers, squeelers, "My Pig", You pig. Through it all it's the XR650"L" guy's that get the most gruff but, the XR650L is basicly a XR600L with a starter.

All about the XR650R
http://xr650r.borynack.com

• dirtyoldmanhands

Posted May 06, 2005 - 02:49 PM

....ok......so you can call any of the above a BRP......

.......my boss has a 650L........and he says its lighter then a stock 600R.........

...........i told him "no way".......because of the starter and battery.........

.....am i right...........

• frankstr

Posted May 06, 2005 - 03:03 PM

My BRP, Beautiful Red Powerplant....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted May 06, 2005 - 04:26 PM

Steal tank, batteries, starter..ect, The XR650L is 324 dry weight, 348 pounds ready to ride. The XR600"R" 91' or better is the lightest of the pigs dry but, there isn't much difference wet between the XR650R and the XR600R once you take all the smog stuff off. (XR650R 302 pounds and the XR600R is 306 ready to ride) It's only a few pounds but, the XR650R feels way lighter. I tried to jump the table tops at the MX track and could clear the 45' table tops with the XR650L but, it would bottom the forks hard and there was noway I had the balls to clear the 55' table top with the XR650L like I can with the XR650R. The XR600R had the suspension tricked out and I could clear the 55' but, it was scary and harsh. Once I tricked the XR650R suspension it was awesome. But, not much I can do once in the air like on a CR250.

• smashinz2002

Posted May 06, 2005 - 08:11 PM

Yeah and one reason I think the 650R "feels" much lighter than the 650L is because the "R" is not top heavy like the "L", or as tall.
If you ride the 650R though, and then immediately switch to a KX500, it will feel like you switched to a bicycle with a rocket motor. Then, when you switch back to the 650R, it will feel extremely heavy and a little sluggish. It's all relative ya know. :)
L.L.

'00 XR650R/uncorked/jetted/street legal
'04 KX500
'05 DR650SE

• BWB63

Posted May 06, 2005 - 08:54 PM

I agree, I rode six bikes up a twisted bit of single track; a XR600R and it was ridable, then got on a tricked out DRZ400 and not as much power but, better suspension (lots of money to get it all nice) then a XR650R and that was a handfull but, ridable then you get on a XR650R that has some balls and the suspension dialed in, spot on and it's a whole different bike. My XR680R is putting out about 72hp at the crank and 58 horsepower to the ground and it's still not a CR500 or KX500 but, it's not anything like a stock uncorked XR650R but, the bike that did that section of single track the best out of six bikes was the XR400 :) go figure. We didn't have any two smokes between us and we were just having a blast switching between bikes up a twisted, tight rutted out trail.To see how fast we could run it on different bikes. Having a good laugh. It isn't fair to the bikes but, what a good time after a long ride and you get back to the truck and sqeeze a little more out of the machines. The thing about most of the XR600's that are still out and beating the trail. They are real close to stock, not a lot of money throwen at them. Same with the XR400's just a lot of riding, with a lot of grins, with out the drain on the wallet.

You are right, It's all relative ya know.

• 1biglung

Posted May 07, 2005 - 07:37 AM

I say you paid for it call it what you want.

I have an older L and I call us both BWP "Big White Pigs". Why ? Because the shoe fits.

• tjnsr

Posted May 07, 2005 - 11:23 AM

I have a 99 L, hurray for the BWP!! :) I'm tired of those guys thinking their red pig is better than our pale pigs :D

VIVA BWP!! :)

• BWB63

Posted May 07, 2005 - 11:51 AM

:D nanmer, nanner back at you :worthy:

Having a bike is the cool thing these days and being able to ride it makes the difference. Seems everbody is getting into bikes, has or is thinking of getting into a toy- hauler out here is So. Cal.. I did the Boat thing and then the Sea Doo thing also, but have always been a bike person. Four trips to the river or lake a year just didn't make all the money that was into the sea doo's worth it. I have a real close friend that did all the above but, most of the time his sea doo's just sat. He got bikes to go out with us and I stop by and roost him in his chair from time to time.
I see it as Four types of riders. The chair sitters. "All show no go" Then the guy's that have an old beater or just can't ride well but, there they are right behind you with a big grin on there face.....all you see is white teeth and white eye balls, through the dirt and mud! :) :D :D They are the guy's that make it fun. Then you got the guy's that can't ride or think they can ride with nice new bikes and they become one of the last two sooner or later and last but, not least the few that have it all together that can do it all, make us all look bad but, sooner or latter they will be sitting in a chair or grinning through the dirt. :D

There are a few guy's out there that it would be a good idea if they could get another bike! I am not ragging on them :) but, they would have so much more fun! I have a good friend that has a new CRF230, he is 200 pounds and what a joke of a bike. He knows it and is now looking to find a way to pull the money together to get a real bike. He was hoping his dauter would ride but, no go. So, he is stuck going nowhere slow. I was riding with a real young guy with a XL600. He was happy to just have a bike and was getting beat to death out in the trails. (guy with the huge ;) ) It's great he had a bike and he is happy! But, he could have so much more fun on a real bike. It's not that the bike is worthless.....it's just that he has that bike outside of what it was made for. He could have got a XR400 for the same money and had a real bike. So, I don't think that a "L" is worthless, [COLOR=DarkRed]inless you pull up and want to race in my back yard[/COLOR] :D :worthy: Nanner Nanner :crazy: :worthy:

• tjnsr

Posted May 07, 2005 - 12:40 PM

:D nanmer, nanner back at you :worthy:

Having a bike is the cool thing these days and being able to ride it makes the difference. Seems everbody is getting into bikes, has or is thinking of getting into a toy- hauler out here is So. Cal.. I did the Boat thing and then the Sea Doo thing also, but have always been a bike person. Four trips to the river or lake a year just didn't make all the money that was into the sea doo's worth it. I have a real close friend that did all the above but, most of the time his sea doo's just sat. He got bikes to go out with us and I stop by and roost him in his chair from time to time.
I see it as Four types of riders. The chair sitters. "All show no go" Then the guy's that have an old beater or just can't ride well but, there they are right behind you with a big grin on there face.....all you see is white teeth and white eye balls, through the dirt and mud! :) :) :D They are the guy's that make it fun. Then you got the guy's that can't ride or think they can ride with nice new bikes and they become one of the last two sooner or later and last but, not least the few that have it all together that can do it all, make us all look bad but, sooner or latter they will be sitting in a chair or grinning through the dirt. :crazy:

There are a few guy's out there that it would be a good idea if they could get another bike! I am not ragging on them :D but, they would have so much more fun! I have a good friend that has a new CRF230, he is 200 pounds and what a joke of a bike. He knows it and is now looking to find a way to pull the money together to get a real bike. He was hoping his dauter would ride but, no go. So, he is stuck going nowhere slow. I was riding with a real young guy with a XL600. He was happy to just have a bike and was getting beat to death out in the trails. (guy with the huge :worthy: ) It's great he had a bike and he is happy! But, he could have so much more fun on a real bike. It's not that the bike is worthless.....it's just that he has that bike outside of what it was made for. He could have got a XR400 for the same money and had a real bike. So, I don't think that a "L" is worthless, [COLOR=DarkRed]inless you pull up and want to race in my back yard[/COLOR] :D :worthy: Nanner Nanner ;) :D

I'm the guy grinning ear to ear on whatever I ride. Be it my 99 'L', my wifes TTR-225 (that's right, I ride my wife's bike sometimes! And I even like it! :worthy: ) or my kids xr50. I love them all. I do think you point out a common thread among all of us here. We love this crazy motorcycle thing.

I don't care what you ride or how fast or slow you go. I know there are, well a lot, of bikes faster and more expensive than mine. I also know that there are tons of riders, some are even young kids, better than I am. I don't really care about that, as long as I enjoy what I'm doing. When it stops being fun and more like a competition with the other guy on how much our bikes cost or who's countershaft is bigger, we should move on and leave it for those who just love to ride...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.