Help! clanking, grinding and the end of a bike?

8 replies to this topic
  • Mister_Infinity

Posted May 05, 2005 - 08:11 PM

Hey all,
Today I was riding my 93 XR600 home from college, when after about an hour of highway cruising the bike starts to cut out (or feel like it at least). I thought it might be out of gas so I pulled over and checked it. I had plenty of gas so I tried to kick it over but the kickstarter wouldn't move, I thought it was seized for a minute, but with enough force you could turn it over. I was scared to try and start it but I had to get it home so I gave it a few good kicks and it started up and idled fine. I started off again but then it started cutting out again. I messed with the choke to see if it was running lean, but it didn't stop the problem. I accelerated and let off and heard a clanking/knocking sound come from the engine. I also heard a few short bits of a grinding noise (like a missed gear) so I pulled over and tried to get a hold of someone with a truck, failing that, I started the bike again (this time it turned over easy?) and rode off, then it started cutting out again, and making a ratcheting noise (like the kickstarter does maybe?) so I pulled over and chained it to a gas station.

Anybody have any idea about what is wrong? I don't think that it was actually the engine cutting out, but instead something catching momentarily in the trans./kickstarter area. Help.

Thanks
Chris

• Bleuhaze

Posted May 06, 2005 - 07:18 AM

Bad noises = Bad things, unfortunately without being able to look,listen ,feel I really could'nt give you much in the way of advice, except that were it me I would NOT ride it till you get it sorted.

What does being a mechanic and sex have in common?.............A look and a feel is worth a thousand words :-) (sorry, could'nt resist)

• RingKingPin

Posted May 06, 2005 - 09:04 AM

yup, I second that, bad noises usually equals bad things. What is your oil level at? It sounds like something is seizing up and when it cools down, the metal contracts enought to allow you to start it again. I wouldn't ride it anymore. Start breaking it down from the top end and see what you come up with. If you aren't handy with a wrench, you'll need to bring it to a shop. Hopefully they won't gouge you too hard. Good luck!

• frankstr

Posted May 06, 2005 - 03:07 PM

:) Let us know when you find out what made the noise...... :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bork

Posted May 06, 2005 - 08:08 PM

Uh oh :) I hope its not the choke plate thru engine thingy !

• wahoogully

Posted March 17, 2008 - 09:14 PM

Mine did similar implosion. I suspected it was related to my changing the aftermarket exhaust back to a stocker (that was a fecking error in pursuit of quiet) without changing the jets.

My buddy pulled the head cover and moved things around with no resistance. I put it back together and started it for 10 seconds or so, before it died. Then I can't kick it over with the starter, but rolling the rear wheel can loosen it up again. There's an irregular clank in the motor when it runs. The oil looked fine. Anyone have a sense of whether this is top or bottom end problems? I like the crack about mechanics and sex, and I probably need more of both in my life right now.

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 17, 2008 - 10:08 PM

Man, not again. There seem to be a lot of people blowing their bikes up in the last few months.

• martinfan30

Posted March 18, 2008 - 06:56 AM

Man, not again. There seem to be a lot of people blowing their bikes up in the last few months.

Yeah, kinda makes you look twice at your own bike...

Mine did similar implosion. I suspected it was related to my changing the aftermarket exhaust back to a stocker (that was a fecking error in pursuit of quiet) without changing the jets.

My buddy pulled the head cover and moved things around with no resistance. I put it back together and started it for 10 seconds or so, before it died. Then I can't kick it over with the starter, but rolling the rear wheel can loosen it up again. There's an irregular clank in the motor when it runs. The oil looked fine. Anyone have a sense of whether this is top or bottom end problems? I like the crack about mechanics and sex, and I probably need more of both in my life right now.

You may just have to start pulling the thing apart. I'd take off the clutch cover first and look at the timing chain components, valve train, oil pump, etc.

When you have the head off, look into the case for any damage/pitting on the gear teeth.

• xrltim

Posted March 18, 2008 - 04:17 PM

I had a similar thing happen to me, sounded like the counterbalance shaft jumped a tooth, ran real rough. Turned out to be a valve seat had come out of the head about 1/8 inch so the clearance on that valve was waaaay out, and it wasn't sealing good when closed. Rode home 30 miles like this, very slowly on the side of the road. Got lucky and didn't damage anything else, not even the valve that was affected. Got a valve job, new seats and guides, back on the road.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.