YZF 426 Versus YZF 450

39 replies to this topic
  • Slowmotion426

Posted May 08, 2005 - 07:11 PM

I've been racing for 21 years...i've NEVER gotten a holeshot....

• Chad76

Posted May 08, 2005 - 07:20 PM

Arel541, any reason why your holding onto your 01 426?

When you say you kind of miss the 5th gear on the 450, why is this so? Does the 450 run out of legs allot quicker than the 426 at top speed? What sort of riding do you do, track or bush?

I wonder why Yamaha decided to make it 4 speed instead of keeping it 5? Is it due to not needing a 5th gear on a motorcross track?

• grayracer513

Posted May 08, 2005 - 07:38 PM

They made it a 4 speed because the power band is so wide that it doesn't need a close ratio box, they thought 85 mph would be fast enough on most MX courses, and they were determined to make the big bike as light as they could.

I miss 5th in mine, too. But when I had my last MX bike with a 5 speed, I used to miss 6th. So what's different? Like I said, there's only 2-5 mph difference on top stock for stock between a 246 and a 450, and the 450 works better with a little more gear anyway.

• MichiganMXer

Posted May 09, 2005 - 05:50 AM

I bought my 01 off the showroom and I've loved my bike for so long I haven't found a compelling reason to trade it in for a 450.. If I was getting crushed at the track because of an inferior bike, I would've by now.

The time has come though, the 06's will soon start revealing their secrets. If they have what I hope they do, I'm in.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted May 09, 2005 - 06:46 AM

Slow - You may want to try a different Mfg. Plug :) and I'll bet you'll finally get that holeshot.

• Btwick

Posted May 09, 2005 - 08:01 AM

Can anyone comment on the comparison with a 426 that has had the cam mod? I understand the "hit" is toned down a bit with the 450 cam..

Thx,
Brian

• kizzle426

Posted May 10, 2005 - 10:28 PM

I haven't heard much about the cam mod, well, power results wise. But, i'm sure major rejetting is needed to get it just right. One final word about this discussion on power and everything, from me at least....I've ridden most of the years of 400's, 426's, 450's, I've had a blast on every single one, and in my opinion, that's all that counts. Can I get an Amen? LONG LIVE THE YZF!!! :)

• grayracer513

Posted May 11, 2005 - 08:16 AM

Can anyone comment on the comparison with a 426 that has had the cam mod? I understand the "hit" is toned down a bit with the 450 cam..

As I recall, Satch didn't think it toned anything down. :) You might have talked to someone who used a WR cam.

• Satch0922

Posted May 11, 2005 - 03:52 PM

In my opinion the cam mod (using the OE 450F exhaust cam) does smooth out the "hit" the 426 has in the midrange. It will make the bike pull smoothly and consistently from idle until you hit the rev limiter (or pee your pants which ever happens first :) )

• Scotty426

Posted May 11, 2005 - 06:16 PM

I'm with you slowmotion......I've never peed my pants or gotten a holeshot. I wonder if it's really that fruitful to compare the stock bikes. I'm not dogging anyone, but it seems to me you can gear either bike lower for the holeshot (or involuntary urination) or for top speed depending on your needs. Both seem to have a pretty close gear spread and are real close on horsepower. When mine is jetted right, I don't worry about drag races. The 450 is lighter, and you can't ignore that. However, when I think of the price of trading in for that weight savings.........It's not just the cost of the bike either, it's all the time and money to get the springs, seat, pegs, handguards, tires and gears for your riding area. I love all the YZs. One of my buds has a YZ 400 that runs very angry and I'm unable to catch him as of yet. I bet his bike is considered a real dog by many. I think it's a 98 or 99. That's Yamaha durability. I'd be foolish to have a bike that lasts a long time and manufacture a reason to give her up. I have only owned 1 but ridden a few. If you have a YZ 4-stroke, you have a great bike. It's quite powerfull and will be in the hunt if you do your part. If your in the market for your first, the 450's are lighter and have more parts available, go that way. Any can be made to serve your needs from sea level to mountains, desert to woods. You can't go wrong. My YZ 426 is not for sale, and when it is, it's because I rode her wheels off. Good luck to all.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RJB

Posted May 11, 2005 - 09:42 PM

I have owned the 426 and ridden 03,04,05 Yz450F's.....in a drag race...it's whoever is the faster rider...on the track the 450's win. However after 4 months on the 250 smoker, even the 450 feels like a pig now....plenty of torque but it feels like a flying brick.

Damn Satch - with talk like that you're going to get banished from TT into the wilderness :)

• Slowmotion426

Posted May 11, 2005 - 11:27 PM

really? :) :D

• Satch0922

Posted May 12, 2005 - 04:09 AM

Damn Satch - with talk like that you're going to get banished from TT into the wilderness :)

LMAO!! You guys gotta get over that 4 vs 2 stroke thing. I grew up riding 2-stroke motocross bikes. My 426 was my first thumper. It took me 6 months to get used to it. It only took me 2 weeks to readjust to a two stroke. I am sure that I will end up back on a thumper....just not anytime soon. The 05 250 smoker is just too much fun! No one wants to hear that because it is "unpopular" but who cares. It was unpoplular to ride a thumper when I bought my 426...guess I like going against the trend! I am not here to sell you guys on a smoker....I just like to share.

I still come to tt to share what I learned from almost 3 years on thumper and to keep up with what's new. I pray for a day when a YZF handles like the 05 YZ250....THAT would be cool....the ultimate.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted May 12, 2005 - 09:03 AM

I agree. My next new bike will hopefully be a new YZ250. I am still going to hang on to my 426 for woods racing and play. Nothing wrong with the best of both worlds.

I would honestly take my 426 over anything (power delievery and getty up -
My 426 is just as good if not better than a 450 - in this department) but the handling definitely lacks. I rode a new 05 450 for the 1st time a couple of weeks ago and stock for stock, the handling and supspension on the 450 is much better than my 426 - no comparison. The ideal would be my 426 motor in a new 450 frame and chassis... :) I may need to wait for the 06 450 :D

• RJB

Posted May 12, 2005 - 09:18 AM

LMAO!! You guys gotta get over that 4 vs 2 stroke thing. I grew up riding 2-stroke motocross bikes. My 426 was my first thumper. It took me 6 months to get used to it. It only took me 2 weeks to readjust to a two stroke. I am sure that I will end up back on a thumper....just not anytime soon. The 05 250 smoker is just too much fun! No one wants to hear that because it is "unpopular" but who cares. It was unpoplular to ride a thumper when I bought my 426...guess I like going against the trend! I am not here to sell you guys on a smoker....I just like to share.

I still come to tt to share what I learned from almost 3 years on thumper and to keep up with what's new. I pray for a day when a YZF handles like the 05 YZ250....THAT would be cool....the ultimate.

I was joking - I couldn't care if its a 1,2,4, or any other stroke that everyone rides - its all fun to me. You're right about the handling - I'm not sure if its me or the 426 that needs to go on diet

• Satch0922

Posted May 12, 2005 - 11:58 AM

I knew you were pokin fun! LOL

• arel451

Posted May 12, 2005 - 05:28 PM

Arel541, any reason why your holding onto your 01 426?

When you say you kind of miss the 5th gear on the 450, why is this so? Does the 450 run out of legs allot quicker than the 426 at top speed? What sort of riding do you do, track or bush?

I wonder why Yamaha decided to make it 4 speed instead of keeping it 5? Is it due to not needing a 5th gear on a motorcross track?

Chad76 I'm in limbo. I picked up my 450 while I still have the 426 (which is for sale) As for that extra gear I don't really miss it on the track but in the woods or any tight areas it is beneficial

• scottish-lad

Posted November 14, 2008 - 06:37 PM

top speed of a yzf426 stock is about 89-90mph. well thats what i got clocked at by the local copper when the bike was 1 day old before it turned into a project. and after spendin £5000 on tuning it modifying it swappin the yamaha 426 frame for the new light aluminium suzuki rmz frame she will do about 120mph theres more in the bike. but im to scared to take it past that. and corners just as good as the new yzf or maybe better. unfortunatly i dont race my 426 anymore. its cost me to much to damage. and at 92bhp its to scary to race. you needs balls the size of your head and made of steal to race it. ive been told i have balls of steel but i can tell ya there no the size o ma head. what ever lucky bugger has balls like that is welcome to take a shot on the bike at my track. just to let you know my next project is going to either my 2008 yzf450 or 08 crf450. i will get a youtube account and post videos off how the 450 project is comin on and post videos of the 426 in action. And if people think im jokin when i say the 426 has 92bhp. well im not.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted November 14, 2008 - 09:56 PM

Do you have any videos of your custom 92bhp 426? or pics?

• scottish-lad

Posted November 15, 2008 - 05:23 AM

no i dont have any videos of the bike well i have 1 when it was stock(only mod then was a set of rims). but i will be creating a youtube account in the next few days. and get some videos of the monster rippin up my track. along with all my other bikes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.