01 WR426 Neutral Switch

7 replies to this topic
  • jonova

Posted May 05, 2005 - 12:10 PM

What is the purpose of the Neutral Switch? And can it be removed without any problems to the bike?

• Tyler426

Posted May 06, 2005 - 07:55 PM

After seeing your post I'm wondering the same thing, doesn't look like it does anything. I go to MMI and am in the electrical class right now, I'll ask my instructor about it on monday.

• tp3dxf

Posted May 06, 2005 - 09:26 PM

Netural switch I didn't know 01 WR even had one. I have never tried to start my bike in gear with the clutch out but maybe it's not possible because of the switch. That's all I can think of that it's there for. I start in gear with the clutch in all the time.

I wonder if it is tied into the TPS system or ignition system in some way?

• Tyler426

Posted May 06, 2005 - 10:24 PM

Acording to the wiring diagram in my manual four wires come out of the nuetral switch and go into a connector then only one wire comes out and goes to the CDI. When you push start your bike you are starting it with the clutch out so that rules that idea out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 07, 2005 - 05:07 AM

Wouldn't a neutral light be cool? bling bling

• PBDBLUE

Posted May 07, 2005 - 05:53 AM

My understanding is the purpose of the switch is to limit the advance curve/rpm when in neutral for noise emission testing. As for using it for a neutral indicator it's been done. Basically all you need is an LED and a diode. There have been several posts on it. Do a search.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted May 09, 2005 - 12:25 PM

Zip-Ty racing sells a neutral switch replacement plug that emininates the switch and wiring for about $15. I've had one on my bike for years and have had no problems. IMO, it's just one less thing to break.

• Tyler426

Posted May 11, 2005 - 10:28 PM

I asked him on monday but forgot to post until today. He said it was probably there to limit the advance when there is no load on the engine, but PBDBLUEs answer sounds just as good.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.