So, who still rides an XR600?

126 replies to this topic
  • fred yale

Posted September 23, 2005 - 05:14 PM

I own a 1993 XR 600 and noticed a leak coming from the oil seal behind the front sprocket. Is there a secret to replace this? Do I just tear out the old one and simply press the new one in? Any help would be great! Thanks, Fred

• fred yale

Posted September 25, 2005 - 11:18 PM

Thanks for the help! I bent the tab that adjusts the float level and that did it! She was just starving for fuel! What a hill bike now! It doesn't handle worth a darn on the whoops because of the weight, but just keep it pointed in the right direction , and there ain't a bike that can out climb it! Fred

• bork

Posted September 26, 2005 - 03:32 PM

Mine does whoops pretty well .

• gnfreak

Posted October 04, 2005 - 08:56 PM

please allow me to introduce myself...
finally bought another thumper after many years away from the sport(that xt350 that i had for awhile doesn't really count). it's a 1998 XR600R with a Baja Design light kit. i've spent the last month getting it to my liking. Koubalink was my first purchase. then 50/50 tires to replace the like new knobbies that previous owner installed. i'm getting accustomed to the bugs again. and i cant seem to wipe the silly grin off my face every time i ride the thing. finally took it off road today in a soybean field that was just harvested. yeeee haaaa! showed the kid a picture of my old xt500 and he sez he is glad i got the 600 instead of another yamaha. why was he laughing so hard at the sight of me 25 years ago???

• moto_x2005

Posted October 04, 2005 - 09:03 PM

My dad rides a 88 XR 600 and i ride a CRF250R, the 250 has way more power then the 600 while the 600 weighs a million pounds, its agood bike and still runs good

• husky123

Posted October 05, 2005 - 04:58 AM

My dad rides a 88 XR 600 and i ride a CRF250R, the 250 has way more power then the 600 while the 600 weighs a million pounds, its agood bike and still runs good

Sure it does kid, sure it does....... :banghead:

• Mantrasonica

Posted October 05, 2005 - 07:32 AM

Yer trippin!

• moto_x2005

Posted October 09, 2005 - 06:22 PM

haha no, if the 600 was built lighter then it would be a much better bike, overall its reliable, but heavy, im surprised u dont need supermoto brakes to stop that ship

• huntmaster

Posted October 09, 2005 - 07:14 PM

haha no, if the 600 was built lighter then it would be a much better bike, overall its reliable, but heavy, im surprised u dont need supermoto brakes to stop that ship

?????
You're comparing a near 20 year old design (intended for completely different use) that hasn't been manufactured in five years with a brand new design! Despite that...which is better depends on where you are riding. If you want to ride MX...buy a motocross bike! Strangely enough, the motocross bike is faster on a motocross track then an XR!

Take them both to Baja however and the old warhorse will smoke the new 250. That's assuming the newer bike even finishes and doesn't cross the finish line in a wheel-barrow load of blowed-up parts!

• DRZ_Motorsports_119

Posted October 09, 2005 - 08:43 PM

I ride a 1992 XR600R (My old war horse)...
That bike is bullet proof, fast, reliable. And yeah it's heavy compare to the new ones, but that bike will take all the way To La Paz and without any problems.

One of the best off-road bikes ever made. It's old but with some new upgrades it looks bitching.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • timothypg

Posted October 17, 2005 - 02:13 PM

i've got an 86 xr600r. awsome bike. love it. never sell it. i had an old xr500 i wish i still had that one too. lived in mt. at the time and i ruled the hills. :banghead:

• BRP-rider

Posted October 17, 2005 - 03:42 PM

1990 XR600R. :banghead:

• XR_Dude

Posted October 18, 2005 - 05:24 AM

I have a '97 XR 600R. It is dual sported (Baja Designs), The choke plate broke off a few years ago and ruined the engine :banghead:. I sent it to TR and they repaired the engine and punched it out to 660 W/ a Hot Cam & Wisco piston. The year before that, I had TR customize the suspension.

I recently bought a YZ 250 for Moto work, but do all my DS and trail riding on the XR - it's a blast!

Bork & I ride with a friend that has a '97 XR 400, we have a blast riding together! :banghead:

• bork

Posted October 19, 2005 - 04:42 PM

Speaking of blast , I smell chicken . Wasn't me .

• XR_Dude

Posted October 20, 2005 - 07:23 AM

Smell's like a Bork to me! :banghead:

• rzalegria

Posted August 02, 2006 - 05:47 PM

89xr600...1st one was an absolute nightmare. It had been well modified and raced. Had many many problems. You might say I got suckered. Decided to totally go through it with the help of xr's only ,meanwhile came across a sweet deal on an 99. After that I was hooked. 99 was an absolute joy and found out the improvements in the suspension. Updated the 89 to 99 suspension, bored 11:1 630 and fresh crank. Gutted and polished stock carb, installed fuel plunger (for cold start), machined cam center bearing (I'm a machinist)and installed a replaceable cam bearing 1/2 shell. Seems to be holding together well but too early to tell. the sucker hauls and hope to dyno it soon to see the carb improvement. keep posted. 99 serves as a baseline as I improve the 89. ... I love my job

• slepe67

Posted August 02, 2006 - 07:31 PM

2000 XR600R-ran hard from the get go when I bought it used, it looked like a child wired the lights. I rewired it, the bike is flawless. I friggin love it. Came off a CRF450R (still have it) to the 600R. Bit of a change, but love the hell out of it. Street legal too. Cruise 55 no problemo. Thought about a 650R, but, the 600R is still real strong. Hate to use "bulletproof" to describe it, but, its damn close.

• rmhrc630

Posted August 02, 2006 - 08:22 PM

2000 XR600R-ran hard from the get go when I bought it used, it looked like a child wired the lights. I rewired it, the bike is flawless. I friggin love it. Came off a CRF450R (still have it) to the 600R. Bit of a change, but love the hell out of it. Street legal too. Cruise 55 no problemo. Thought about a 650R, but, the 600R is still real strong. Hate to use "bulletproof" to describe it, but, its damn close.

hey mate I have the same - XR628 with HRC engine and a CRF450R.

The XR is an awesome bike - now with electric start!!!

I tell you though the 450R shows how far technology has come - it is freakin powerhouse!!!

who would have thought a 450r could hose a 600?? I would never have though so but my 450R hoses the 600.

My 600 is where its at though for me - I've put estart on it, 450R forks and FCRMX carby, Ims tank, and a race motor with open exhaust and setrab oil cooler.

• xr-jorger

Posted August 02, 2006 - 08:23 PM

love love love my '98 streeted and usual goodies, reliable lots of power and just changed all plastics to new mx style so she looks a little newer but still old school bulletproof. Did I mention I LOVE my xr6!!! :thumbsup:

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 03, 2006 - 07:27 AM

I have a 92 XR630R desert bike, and a 96 XR610R supermoto, they will be with me until someone makes a better bike, which the XR650R isn't. It is as good in some respects, a little better in a couple, but not as good all around. The 600R has the place in history of the most reliable bike on the planet, is cheap to hop up, and modify, has a gillion aftermarket parts and accessories avaliable for it, and is a dream to ride weither in the deepest desert or on the street. It isn't a touring machine, but no single is....but it is a legendary bike with good reason. Ill keep mine, both of them, like I said, until someone (Honda) comes out with a better bike...Honda, are you listening? All XR600R riders want you to make us the NexGen XR6R!!! no mo CRF for playbikes!

Speaking of reliability, my freind has a 91 XR600R, it has been plated since 91 and has been ridden almost every day, he has only done a new cam chain, thats it after about 60K miles....thats amazing for an off road single cylender thumper with this kind of power.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.