So, who still rides an XR600?

126 replies to this topic
  • XR6's_rule

Posted September 10, 2005 - 05:29 PM

I have to agree with RMHRC630 here. The XR650R has indeed been a sales disaster for Honda Australia. The problem is, they fronted with a mid-ninetees designed, porky dirt-bike when the trend was for bikes to be lighter and more manageable. Put simply, it was released four or five years too late

It is a much different tale with the venerable XR600. In 1985, Honda released a close to perfect motorcycle first go. It outperformed the other jap offerings, and was infintely more reliable than the euro machines.

Honda rode the bikes success for many years, only blessing it bike with mild updates to keep it at the head of the pack.

It had huge sales and racing success in Australia. You can't argue with 12 out of 15 overall wins in the Australian Safari over it's 15 year model run. It's success wasn't limited to desert riding though, multiple class and overall wins in the "Thumper Nats" series as well as much success in enduro racing saw to that.

It truly was a bike that could be raced on Sunday and ridden to work the next day. A few hours in the workshop and you had yourself an enduro/trail weapon.

This racing success as well as the sheer durablity, the afore-mentioned flexibility, ease of modification and ease of maintenance won many a rider over. The XR600 would top sales charts for years on end easily topping the sales of it's nearest competitor eight-fold!

You can't argue with results, the XR600R was the most successful dirtbike to hit Australian shores, I wait in earnest for Honda to get a new model half as a complete motorcycle as the XR6 was.

• Triumphs

Posted September 10, 2005 - 06:51 PM

Yep, I would have to agree. Had the old 600 for years and even a 500 before that. Great bikes, but as noted it's not 1991 anymore. I rode the 650R (after I had already bought my WR) and was amazed at the power and more agile feeling of the newer bike, really not feeling much heavier then the WR either. A big improvement over the old bikes. Of course, it's probably time again for a replacement!

After trying the 650R I realized it was everything I was looking for in an improved 600. Much lighter feeling and better in the tight stuff, yet more stiff and stable in the fast open areas with way more power.

• fred yale

Posted September 10, 2005 - 07:10 PM

I just picked up a 93 XR 600. I'm not sure I got the right bike as I'm near 50 years old. The first time I took it out we rode for 60 hard miles on the trails here in Wa. state. I was so sore the next day! I got in trouble a couple times as this monster is so HEAVY and TALL! As long as I could keep my feet on the pegs I was allright. I'm 6 foot even and can barely touch the ground with my big toes! Is there a lower seat available for these? And what kind of lowering kit is available?? Other than that, I can still ride a wheelie right along with the kids!! Love the power! Any help would be great! Thanks...Fred

• Kraigscott4

Posted September 10, 2005 - 08:39 PM

whats up i have a 96 xr600 just bought it 1mo. ago it is plat

ed...... legal is another story....
i live in san diego spend most of my time on the streetthe [unfortunnatly]...you got a great dea i spent 2,400 on my bike..but it dose have all the extras allready..big bore kit,big gas tank pro circut pipe jetted i love it.... it hauls ass...have fun on yours...
i am looking for a second set of wheel and tires complete so i can have street and dirt tires ready to go.if any one knows anything please let me know thanx......

• BrettJ

Posted September 11, 2005 - 02:41 PM

I am not saying the 650R was a sales success in Australia, nor do I care how much better the sales for a 600 may have been down here. What I did say was the the 650R is a faster better handeling bike in all areas, this can not be denied. 600 owners may reply arguing this fact and that is fair enough, I just can't believe you guys can argue the 600 handles better. The 650 actually feels lighter and more nimble than a 600 if you have ridden both you would know this. I'm not saying the 600 isn't a good bike in fact I think its a brillant bike; what I am saying however that in no way is it better than a 650R

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 11, 2005 - 04:46 PM

i love my 1998 xr 650l

• fred yale

Posted September 13, 2005 - 09:37 PM

Here's a problem maybe you younger folks can help me with. When I'm climbing long hills, or when I have the bike going up, it acts like it starving for gas and bogs down and stalls. Shees! It's hard enough keep'in my feet on the pegs without the thing puk'in on me like this! Any easy remedys? It acts like she's starving for fuel.

• XR6's_rule

Posted September 14, 2005 - 03:48 AM

rip the carby out and check the jetting and in particular the float level, the float level could be too low causing the bike to run a bit lean and be starved of fuel when run past a certain angle.

• rmhrc630

Posted September 14, 2005 - 03:36 PM

I am not saying the 650R was a sales success in Australia, nor do I care how much better the sales for a 600 may have been down here. What I did say was the the 650R is a faster better handeling bike in all areas, this can not be denied. 600 owners may reply arguing this fact and that is fair enough, I just can't believe you guys can argue the 600 handles better. The 650 actually feels lighter and more nimble than a 600 if you have ridden both you would know this. I'm not saying the 600 isn't a good bike in fact I think its a brillant bike; what I am saying however that in no way is it better than a 650R

Mate it's a fact that the 600R shits all over the 650R in turning ability. The early 90s 250r was best followed by the 600R. Furthermore turning ability is closely related to chuckability - flying through trees etc.

It's not 600 owners saying this - any creditable review states the same.

wide open desert - 650R

vicco high country/tighter track type stuff - 600R

guess we'll agree to disagree!!!

simple.

• Toolmaker

Posted September 15, 2005 - 04:38 AM

Fred Yale ,

Make sure you are not engaging your automatic decompression on the kick starter when climbing hills . I have done it on big hills myself , it might not be whats happening to you but something to think about.
Steve

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • virge3725

Posted September 15, 2005 - 10:15 AM

I love my 600R, but will sell it to buy the new 450x. If I don't sell it I won't care. Check it out, it's totally trick 600. :punk:

http://mysite.verizo...nda_xr_600.html

• bosshog

Posted September 15, 2005 - 01:52 PM

Virge I have to say your bike looks great. I own a 2002 XR650r and love it. I have ridden a XR600r years ago and I believe it was an early 90's model. It's to long ago for me to compare the two to each other. If I get a chance to ride another one I will to give it a fair comparison. Some how I bet there will be a similar thread in the future when ever the next model dose come out, but only with 650r in the title.

You may just wanna keep your 600r along with the 450x just so you have something to ride when you don't feel like working on the 450. :banghead:

• wiem

Posted September 16, 2005 - 09:45 AM

i still ride a '90 xr600.
altough i've modded it a little bit :banghead:
100 mm bore
wiseco hc piston
crd exhaust
prox bigend

black exell 17 inchers
cr500 fork

future mods : stage 1 hotcams and an oil cooler

• NWOffroader

Posted September 16, 2005 - 11:18 AM

I still have an 86 600 that is 628 w/ cam, upside downs and a rear disc. It is mainly a dual sporter now and I'm finally having to freshen up the top end but once I upgraded the ign stator it has been dead reliable.

• huntmaster

Posted September 17, 2005 - 10:34 AM

Very true. I was a 600 owner for years, but no rational person can argue the fact if they've ridden both bikes. That's not only my experience but that of just about everyone else I've talked to who has actually spent time on both bikes. The old 600 frame was a bit "spindly". The 650 "feels" a lot lighter and sure goes better. But it should, it's a generation newer. I would expect at least as much improvement from the next one. :banghead:

What I did say was the the 650R is a faster better handeling bike in all areas, this can not be denied. 600 owners may reply arguing this fact and that is fair enough, I just can't believe you guys can argue the 600 handles better. The 650 actually feels lighter and more nimble than a 600 if you have ridden both you would know this. I'm not saying the 600 isn't a good bike in fact I think its a brillant bike; what I am saying however that in no way is it better than a 650R

• fred yale

Posted September 18, 2005 - 10:55 AM

The Honda dealer reccomends using their oil at $7.50 a quart because of "special" lubricants for the wet clutch. What else is out there that is safe to use and a little cheaper? Thanks, Fred

• XR6's_rule

Posted September 19, 2005 - 01:57 AM

Just out of interest, can any of you guys confirm any of these rumours i'm hearing about a new CRF600X thumper?

• huntmaster

Posted September 19, 2005 - 03:22 PM

Just out of interest, can any of you guys confirm any of these rumours i'm hearing about a new CRF600X thumper?

Unfortunately, no one can!

• marioct

Posted September 21, 2005 - 12:24 PM

I ride a 91 xr600r and love it. :applause: I have rode both street(many GSXR 750's) and dirt(quad and many dirtbikes). I love the xr. It gives me the best of both worlds. I can ride on the street and go absolutely anywhere :banghead: You have a good bike, take good care of it and you will not be disapointed. I will buy a streetbike one day but as for the dirt, the xr has it covered. The 650 has e-start and a few creature comforts but gets the job done just the same, just need to perfect the kicking regiment(us men can and will kickstart our bikes). Plus, less weight and things to go wrong without the battery,etc.

• MotoGoalie

Posted September 21, 2005 - 01:35 PM

Why the hell couldn't Honda just offer the XR600 motor in the current 650 chassis at about a $1000 discount to the current 650 motor?

I don't want water cooled anything. I want bulletproof motor and basic, good handling chassis.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.