So, who still rides an XR600?

126 replies to this topic
  • Toolmaker

Posted September 07, 2005 - 05:19 AM

I ride a 89 XR600R and love it but I loved my 81 XR500R , my 79 CR250 , 76 MT250 , 74 CR125 , 67 CB160 ( didn't really love the 160 it's all I had ), and when I get switch to something new I'm sure I'll like it to .

Each time I changed I noticed the new bike had things I like better and some not as good , but for the most part better .

My advice is if you liked your old bike better , get another one and sell the 650R . You could do that and put some money in your pocket. JMO

• Red4x4neck

Posted September 07, 2005 - 06:40 AM

I have an 87 600r which is currently in peices and a 97 650L.
From the times that I have been able to keep my meddling hands out of the 600r's engine it has been great.
Probably would be wonderful if I didn't screw things up on it with my backwoods tek.....er tech ....
lol
Anyways never ridden a 650r but it would be interesting. I just think all these guys comparing their private parts over the "L" versus "R" need to do it over a beer :D where, at least we all might get to watch a good boxing match. :D

BTW anyone know of a good timing light and or Tachometer to use on a 600r?

My $.02
Rob

• huntmaster

Posted September 07, 2005 - 07:49 AM

Same here. About five years with each bike now. The 600R was a great bike in it's day and I was very fond of mine. It was liked by owners and the m/c media alike. But it's not 1991 anymore and there's no comparison...the 650R is better in just about every way, except perhaps fuel range! No doubt we will be saying similar things soon comparing the 650R with some new CRF600X or whatever!

I have both bikes and the 650R is a great upgrade compared to the 600R.
Sounds like a rider, not the bike in the sand..

• BrettJ

Posted September 08, 2005 - 12:29 AM

"Many people also disagree the 650R was a better bike in line with the XR lineage. It's a totally different bike with less versatility than the XR6. (at least in Australia)

Sometimes more is not better and I think perhaps the 650R is simply too much bike. Hell if the 600 was heavy then the 650R must be terrible!!!"--> In what way is the 600R better in Australia than the 650R, Us lucky Australians basically get a US 650R with indicators licenced straight from the honda dealership it is 99% of the way to being the perfect dualsport if it had electric start it would be... doesn't steer as well as the 600??? I just think the one you rode wasn't setup properly. I love and respect the 600R but the only thing in anyway that beats the 650R is the price, they are excellent value the only 650 it beats in speed and handeling is the 650L and you know what I think of them anyway :banghead:

• skinner

Posted September 08, 2005 - 07:13 AM

I've got a 1996 XR600R with all the go fast goodies (edelbrock, revalve, etc.) and CA street plate. This is one outstanding dual sport. Unfortunately, I've just put it up for sale - too many similar motorcycles in the garage.

I think if Honda made minor upgrades to the suspension (forks!), added e-start and an oil cooler (and kept the weight about the same) they could still sell the crap out of the XR600R. It wouldn't take much. :banghead:

• SONODROOPY

Posted September 08, 2005 - 07:20 AM

I upgraded from my 1981 XR200 to the 95 XR600R this spring and I love her. :banghead: Even if I only have 5 minutes for a ride, its worth every second. She is uncorked and runs like a champ. Starts on the first or second kick and runs real strong. Can't imagine upgrading for a long time. What is there to upgrade to??

By the way, I kept the 81 XR 200 for sentimental reasons. I couldn't part with the bike that has taken me so many place all over the west between Cal. and Utah.

• nate992v

Posted September 08, 2005 - 08:28 AM

I have a '96. Aside from filter, FMF IV, Baja Designs light kit, and Precision Concepts suspension, it's untouched. Change the oil every couple of trips, spark plug every year. It's bullet-proof. The only thing I have ever had to replace is tires and tubes. Power for days, and it handles well with me on it (I'm 6'4", 265lbs). Couldn't ask more from a bike.

• skinner

Posted September 08, 2005 - 07:13 AM

I've got a 1996 XR600R with all the go fast goodies (edelbrock, revalve, etc.) and CA street plate. This is one outstanding dual sport. Unfortunately, I've just put it up for sale - too many similar motorcycles in the garage.

I think if Honda made minor upgrades to the suspension (forks!), added e-start and an oil cooler (and kept the weight about the same) they could still sell the crap out of the XR600R. It wouldn't take much. :banghead:

• SONODROOPY

Posted September 08, 2005 - 07:20 AM

I upgraded from my 1981 XR200 to the 95 XR600R this spring and I love her. :banghead: Even if I only have 5 minutes for a ride, its worth every second. She is uncorked and runs like a champ. Starts on the first or second kick and runs real strong. Can't imagine upgrading for a long time. What is there to upgrade to??

By the way, I kept the 81 XR 200 for sentimental reasons. I couldn't part with the bike that has taken me so many place all over the west between Cal. and Utah.

• nate992v

Posted September 08, 2005 - 08:28 AM

I have a '96. Aside from filter, FMF IV, Baja Designs light kit, and Precision Concepts suspension, it's untouched. Change the oil every couple of trips, spark plug every year. It's bullet-proof. The only thing I have ever had to replace is tires and tubes. Power for days, and it handles well with me on it (I'm 6'4", 265lbs). Couldn't ask more from a bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BigBoreRacing

Posted September 08, 2005 - 07:21 PM

I've been riding an 86 XR600R since it was new and and won't change until it just falls out from underneath me....Unbelievable how durable and reliable it has been for me!...even when I do finally wear it out (yeah right) I'll probably look for another one just like it!

• AzXr628

Posted September 08, 2005 - 08:37 PM

I have a 95 Xr with a new 640 kit that runs like a race horse.Will be installing heavier springs in the coming weeks to match my weight (6'2"-210lbs) and as the song kinda goes all my friends ride Yellow,Blue and one Green one, 2004 or newer and the 640 just walks away :banghead: only wish I could get it through Arizona emissions to plate it.And the reason I have the bore kit is the shop that did the the last top end screwed it up.And for now it does what I need it to .

• bigboredbiker

Posted September 09, 2005 - 02:21 AM

Having made a return to enduro after 10 years of pure road riding, I bought a project 2000 xr600r. Now it is fully rebuilt, it has never let me down, its built like a sherman tank and apart from the kick start issues, I can't justify spending the extra on a 650. Its like an old friend, reliable and will go anywhere with me! Easy to sort mechanically as well....absolutely love it! :banghead:

• Mantrasonica

Posted September 09, 2005 - 06:12 AM

Its not 1987 anymore but my bike doesn't know the difference. Only problem I've had all Summer is a footpeg bolt that won't stay tight. May switch from green loctite to red.

• rmhrc630

Posted September 09, 2005 - 03:29 PM

"Many people also disagree the 650R was a better bike in line with the XR lineage. It's a totally different bike with less versatility than the XR6. (at least in Australia)

Sometimes more is not better and I think perhaps the 650R is simply too much bike. Hell if the 600 was heavy then the 650R must be terrible!!!"--> In what way is the 600R better in Australia than the 650R, Us lucky Australians basically get a US 650R with indicators licenced straight from the honda dealership it is 99% of the way to being the perfect dualsport if it had electric start it would be... doesn't steer as well as the 600??? I just think the one you rode wasn't setup properly. I love and respect the 600R but the only thing in anyway that beats the 650R is the price, they are excellent value the only 650 it beats in speed and handeling is the 650L and you know what I think of them anyway :banghead:

Are you for real?

The XR6 DOMINATED in tight Victorian offroad country for 10-15 years.

Simply put - the XR650R has been a rather large disaster for Honda Australia. How are they selling? Nowhere near the 600R

(when as an Australian will you recongnise it is a US spec model with only one thing in mind - wide open desert???)

The XR600 runs rings around the 650 in the high country. It's lighter, infinitely better at turning and flat out handles better when you ride our tighter trails. Especially when you add a 630 kit to it.

It's simply horsechit to say for Victoria the 650R is better - it's not and the facts are the XR600 ruled offroad for years down here.

If you're in a state where the country is wide open - different kettle of fish - the 650R will be an imporvement but it is NOWHERE near as versatile as the 600R was. EVER.

The 600R is an icnonic bike that sold 1000s in Australia. The 650R was a stopgap. The 650R has a very very limited life in Australia.

• Supplicate

Posted September 09, 2005 - 03:41 PM

I have an XR-500R I love to ride when/if it runs :banghead:

• redbikejohn

Posted September 10, 2005 - 04:33 AM

Yep I'm also in awe of the xr600. I have a 1985 model complet with 17inch rear with drum brake! Twenty years old but goes like hell. Changed the oil then road it around the isle of man on some great trails (and some blody hard ones) and the oil hasn't hardly changed colour! It's built like a tank so after every spill I just pick both of us up and hit the trail again! eer literary. My two mates on their crf and ktm always have to either fix or straighten something after a 'off'. By the way is maine the oldest one out there? Anybody else on a '85 model?

• huntmaster

Posted September 10, 2005 - 05:42 AM

When the 650R came out I was orginally a bit disappointed, having hoped for a revamped 600 as was done with the 250 a couple years earlier. I briefly considered a kit frame such as the Track kit and a few others that were getting good press. That would have knocked off some weight and transformed the handling from the flexy-ish stock frame. That still would have left engine performance though, and while not suffering for torque the old 600 was being passed in the power department by newer 400's, nevermind open bikes. Might have been a neat project, but big cost and effort to still end up having an old bike.

After trying the 650R I realized it was everything I was looking for in an improved 600. Much lighter feeling and better in the tight stuff, yet more stiff and stable in the fast open areas with way more power. I miss the zerk fittings and fork drain plugs from the 600, but except for fuel range the newer bike is better in every way. Like my old 600, now five years of trouble free riding and basic maintenance...so the 650 kept the best trait of the 600! Hopefully Honda will continue that pattern with a CRF600X and not digress to the current trend of, err..."less then durable" engine designs!

Is there THAT significant a reason to move up to the latest XR650? Who still enjoys this old school machine?

• thumpasaurus

Posted September 10, 2005 - 05:43 AM

I loved my XR6 (91) The only reason I switched was becuase a huge deal fell right into my lap and I was able to make the jump from 91 to an 00 650R for next to nothing. I do miss the XR6 though. I just liked the look of it in the garage. And it turned heads in a is that old thing kind of way. As a DS bike it was every bit the measure of DRZ's that I ride with.

As far as riding goes I'm just slightly happier on the 650 and the biggest reason is not the power, but because it always starts so much easier. Tight going is about the same, IMO, w/ slight edge to the 650 due mostly to it's lighter feel and the throttle isn't as jerky as the 600.

So while I don't at all regret making the move, I also wouldn't mind having another XR600 sometime, and if I catch a deal on one I might.

• fat_boy_on_CRF450x

Posted September 10, 2005 - 10:42 AM

I bought an 85 XR600R from my buddy who was moving in 86. It replaced my 84 CR500 so I could putt around with my wife better (she had an XR250). I sold the bike to another friend in 93, he rode it 4 times in Glamis, crashing and knocking out four front teeth on what became his last ride on the bike. It sat in his garage for the last 11 years. Though I have an 05 CR450X now, I have finally talked my friend into selling the bike back to me for what I sold it to him for in 93 ($800). I'm rebuilding the carbs right now and find myself more excited to get back on that bike than to ride my 450X :banghead: . The weight of the bike isn't an issue since am 6'4" and just about 300 lbs. and can throw it around almost as much as it throws me around. Thank God for Bike Bandit.com for all of the OEM carb parts they have available to get those twin carbs back in shape after sitting for 11 years. Now let's see if I can get my old fat a@s in shape to enjoy the bike more.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.