So, who still rides an XR600?

126 replies to this topic
  • volk

Posted May 05, 2005 - 08:59 AM

I finally made the move from 2 strokes to 4 strokes last summer, and went from the CR250 to the XR600. The 600 wasn't really the bike I was looking for, as I am only 5'9" and the 600 is HEAVY, but my brother had been riding one for almost a year and he loved his. Reliability was high on my list, as I hate fixing motorcycles, and I simply can't afford to sink too much money into a motorcycle (my Charger takes most of it :) ). I looked at a DRZ, but it was an older "S" version and was sold 2 days after I saw it. Finally, a 97 XR600R came up for sale through another friend, and at $1,000, it was too good to pass up.

My first summer on the bike sucked. I dropped it a lot and getting adjusted to the weight, height, and gearing was rough. I decided to buy a lowering link, gear it down a touch, and buy some new tires, and so far this year, the bike has been pretty much a joy to ride. I have done a pretty wide variety of terrain on it now, and with this setup, I can't really understand the need for a bigger thumper. I have had no problems with it. It starts easy and pulls hard. I can't see myself upgrading this machine for a long time.

So, anyone else feel the way I do? Do you have an XR600? Is it your primary bike? Is there THAT significant a reason to move up to the latest XR650? Who still enjoys this old school machine?

• Mantrasonica

Posted May 05, 2005 - 09:14 AM

I ride an 87 XR600. No plans to make any moves. The bike still runs really strong and has been dead-reliable.

Tim

• syjl

Posted May 05, 2005 - 09:25 AM

I have a 1993 650L that I still like to dual sport even though I have a dual sported 2001 XR650R and an 2001 XR400R race bike. I have fixed the motor twice, once was my fault for not checking the oil ever, and the second time I simply wore it out and it started to smoke. The $1000 to have Honda fix it was worth it since I still love that bike. Passing guys with new dual sports while my wife is on the back of the old bike is priceless. A new bike does not mean you know how to ride.

• XR Dude

Posted May 05, 2005 - 10:20 AM

I've got an 86 600r and like it, its very reliable and does most things pretty well if you don't get too carried away, like triples and big sand whoops, most of all its FUN and cheap to ride and own. I've also got a 650L and like it very well too. Great to have another fellow thumper rider among us. Hopefully you'll never have trouble with it but if you do there's alot of information here and we like to help.

• A1KROW33

Posted May 05, 2005 - 10:52 AM

My 2000 600R is great. I've considered going to 650, but there is no need right now. It starts first kick and has plenty of power. WHen I get the suspension set up for someone my weight, it will be near perfect. It's already been through some rough terrain w/ me.

• dabeyta3

Posted May 05, 2005 - 11:30 AM

I have owned the XR600 and now ride the XR650L. Both are about the same, except for a little added weight, the instrument panal and the elec start. I like both bikes, but I'm tired of kicking.

• bork

Posted May 05, 2005 - 12:33 PM

You got a great deal !! congrats!! I love my 1994 xr600r 1 After reading many posts about 650 vs 600 I'v decieded for my needs the 600 is the prime choice and especially since it is dual sported with a tag. I feel fortunate to have one .

• MotoGoalie

Posted May 05, 2005 - 02:19 PM

I love my 93. I'll never sell it. When I want to go way out into BFE, I take it.

I just picked up the YZ to make the balls tingle when I feel the need. I love both bikes. If only the XR was as light as that YZ. But then, I love the plush suspension and NO maintenance aspect of the Honda.

Best of both worlds.

• bork

Posted May 05, 2005 - 06:06 PM

I thought only mine tingled ! :)

• dirtyoldmanhands

Posted May 05, 2005 - 08:24 PM

Finally, a 97 XR600R came up for sale through another friend, and at $1,000, it was too good to pass up.

.......i need such a deal!!!!!........

..........i started on an XR75 (1974)........
....then XR185 (1979).......
........then XR250 (1984)........
...........then XR650L.......(1993).........
.......then XR600R.........(1996)........

............cracked the frame of the pig in 1999......and had it rewelded........
......got a YZ400F......to continue the race season.......and i still ride it 90% of the time in the dirt........

.........i dont trust the pigs rewelded frame.....so i ride it mostly on street.....

.......now im looking for a 97-98ish.......600R......to combind the two and make..........SUPER PIG........

..........anyway.........i think the XR600 is a superior bike........on rocks.......then any other i have ridden........(i love to ride on rocks).......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beer_studd_76

Posted May 05, 2005 - 09:13 PM

i have a 93 600R that i ride as often as i ride my 2000 KTM 380. i love it. it's heavy but she starts easy and runs hard.

• bluestragler

Posted May 06, 2005 - 05:46 AM

I sold my '93 last year for $1850. You got a great deal at $1000. The XR600 was my first dirt bike since I was a kid, and I loved it, but for the type of riding I normally do, I found I ride much better on my XR400. If I was a better rider, it probably would not have been as big an issue. If I find an XR600 for $1000 or less, I'll buy another. They are GREAT bikes!!! I miss that old John Deere torque.

• Poco650

Posted May 06, 2005 - 05:06 PM

My friend rides a 94 DR 650 and I have a 00 XR650R
I totally notice the 50-odd pound weight difference.
Mine has had quite a few mods done short of cylinder work and the difference is definitely noticeable.
The suspensions are worlds apart too if you like getting rough in the tight bush and the XR's frame\chassis semm more resistant to smashing expensive, vulnerable stuff.
I used to have a DR 350 which behaved itself but never impressed me for power.
The transition involved no weight change which was nice. :)

• svwell

Posted May 06, 2005 - 07:45 PM

I still ride an XR600!! and I'd buy another one if they still made them. I own a 91' and rode it to death in hare scrambles and Mexico including the 1994 Baja 500. When I found out that were discontinuing the model I went down to the dealer to see if they could find me one. So now I have a 2000 model too. Everyone thought I was nuts buying a discontinued model that had not seen a major (or even a minor) technological advance in 20 years (except for the disk brake in 91)They are great bikes although your learning curve might be a little steep given your height. My height is one of the resons I like the bike. I'm 6'3" and can spread out on the bike. They are extremely reliable as my 91' has proven to be "bullet proof" still running as strong as the 2000 even after 14 years of hard riding to the point of abuse. The 91' is ugly cosmetically but I can't get over how well it still runs....no smoke, no valve clatter, nothing. try getting that out of a h2o cooled. And yes, it rips with me on it......I keep up quite well with all the modern bikes.

Enjoy the bike!

steve

• rippinroche

Posted May 07, 2005 - 05:33 PM

I sure wish i had my xr 600 :) but i thought the xr 650R would be a nice up grade :) what a mistake i made .What was Honda thinking when they built the xr 650R it rides like a ten speed in the sand all over the place the seat and handle bars need help and after paying over six thousand for it and have to re-jet change the intake pull the plugs out of the air box change the exhaust tip. My old xr 600 out of the box ran and rode fine without spending tons of money. So you guys that have xr 600s the xr 650r is not any better by far. :D

• XR6's_rule

Posted May 08, 2005 - 01:13 AM

After having the following bikes- XR250/400/650R, 99 WR400F, last year I went back to an XR600, this bike is simply the best all-rounder out there (maybe sharing the honour with the XR400)....and they havent made them for 5 years! It has optimum power, is very well balanced, has very good trail suspension that can be very cheaply made excellent with different springs and a simple revalve, it is reliable as an axe and im keeping it until Honda builds a bike that is just as reliable and bulletproof, has just as little to break, is lighter and produces the same sort of power delivery.

• frankstr

Posted May 08, 2005 - 05:10 AM

I sure wish i had my xr 600 :worthy: but i thought the xr 650R would be a nice up grade :D what a mistake i made .What was Honda thinking when they built the xr 650R it rides like a ten speed in the sand all over the place the seat and handle bars need help and after paying over six thousand for it and have to re-jet change the intake pull the plugs out of the air box change the exhaust tip. My old xr 600 out of the box ran and rode fine without spending tons of money. So you guys that have xr 600s the xr 650r is not any better by far. :)

I have both bikes and the 650R is a great upgrade compared to the 600R.. :D
Sounds like a rider, not the bike in the sand.. :)
They all need rejetted when you play for more power, like changing Ex. ect...
Thats your opinion you made a mistake, I've done a lot of mods and still have'nt spent a TON of money, I love my 650R and the 600R but the 600R is old school, Great bike but the 650R is much better.... :D :D By far......... :D
Thats my opinion........ ;)

• roadcam

Posted May 08, 2005 - 07:26 AM

my ride is a XR650L, but any old 600 is an outstanding bike ... let's face it, you're on a bike that dominated the BAJA1000 for years, and is absolutely bulletproof ... it doesn't get any better than that ... keep clean oil in it, and enjoy ! :)

• Kraigscott4

Posted September 06, 2005 - 09:04 PM

i have a 96 XR600. just bought it 3wks ago this one is plated for the street. i the love it has good power however i get the speed wobbles at about 90mph think i need a steering stabilizer.i havent had a chance to get in the dirt yet but look forward to it.you got a smokin deal on yours congrats..have fun on it

• rmhrc630

Posted September 06, 2005 - 10:02 PM

The forks are a joke on the XR600R.

http://www.borynack....650r/XR680R.htm

http://xr650r.borynack.com/

http://xr650r.borynack.com/

With all respect I think you are way wrong about the forks.

The XR6 remains and is one of the best turning and stock suspended bikes around. Turns FARRRR better than the 650 ever did. Spend some dollasr and the bike is a dream.

Many people also disagree the 650R was a better bike in line with the XR lineage. It's a totally different bike with less versatility than the XR6. (at least in Australia)

Sometimes more is not better and I think perhaps the 650R is simply too much bike. Hell if the 600 was heavy then the 650R must be terrible!!!

There 650R is a heavy (for a new bike) fuel gulping beast - certainly not anywhere near the steering capability of the XR6.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.