In the Know !!

5 replies to this topic
  • Georgie-Hammer

Posted May 05, 2005 - 01:54 AM

Can you help, me and my mate seem to be replacing our fork seals every couple of months :) . We both own 426 (00) and (02) models. We use the appropiate tools and Yam manual. Is this the norm ?? or can anyone help !! :D

• Dan_from_HB

Posted May 05, 2005 - 08:16 AM

Are you replacing the bushings as well? If not, they are probably loose and will continue to trash seals. If you let them go too long, they will eventually take the chrome plating off the tubes. Then it gets expensive.
Unless you have the right tools, you may want to have the forks serviced by a suspension shop that has a hydraulic press and the right tooling to extract and replace the bushings.

• BrandonW

Posted May 05, 2005 - 08:49 AM

Get some seals from your local Honda dealer. Their OEM seals are much more durable than the OEM Yamaha ones. Plus, after your next seal change, add a set of SealSavers.

Once you do that, you are done changing seals.

:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Humunn

Posted May 05, 2005 - 11:36 AM

Get seal savers and add some water proof grease to your dust covers (search keyword "swamp proofing"). That will keep almost anything out. I found out the hard way by replacing my seals ONCE. At that price I was motiviated to find a solution.

• don319

Posted May 05, 2005 - 02:45 PM

Sealsavers for sure. These particular forks seem to be affected by dirt in the seals more than others. Also, DON'T strap it down to transport by compressing the forks. They will leak for sure.

• grayracer513

Posted May 05, 2005 - 04:10 PM

If you are replacing them that frequently, something else is wrong. Consider a new set of bearings (the manual calls them "metals"). The other thing to check for is scratches or dents in the fork tubes, or a chunk of Teflon from the bearings lodged on one. You can simply sand out the more minor of these with some 320 grit wet/dry, followed up with 400 and a little solvent or light oil. Work at 45 degrees to the tube axis in both directions. You'd be surprised how well this works.

In more severe cases, a good suspension shop can replate and refinish the tube for you.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.