Need info on YZF426-they any good

21 replies to this topic
  • Maximus86

Posted May 04, 2005 - 07:47 PM

Hey guys- I'm looking at buying a 2001 YZ426.

I'm an ole' XR guy so i was wondering if Maintenance was going to be a big deal. How often do you have to adjust the valves?Hard to do?
ARe there any known problems with the bikes?(recalls ect.) anything to look out for

I trust the seller

also what should i expect to pay for a 2001 with new pistion/ring/valves ect
the bike is in average condition

thanks guys

• kizzle426

Posted May 04, 2005 - 08:39 PM

I've got an '02 426. I love mine. I've had it for a few months and absolutely no problems. I bought mine for 3200. I had a minor problem with my bike fouling plugs, but i made the jetting a little leaner and it fixed it. I'll be buying these bikes for years to come. For the '01, I'd expect to pay around 2500-3000. The price will drop significantly when the aluminum '06 comes out. Get your 426 and have a blast. I've got and xr400 and a yz426. There is a night and day difference. I love the 400 for trails. For the track...I've never had a better bike.
Buy it and enjoy :)

• evo rider

Posted May 04, 2005 - 09:06 PM

I hear the yz426 is a pig to start but thats only if you dont know how to start a thumper, which a surprisingly lot of people on TT dont know how to do. LOL

• cowboyona426

Posted May 04, 2005 - 09:11 PM

Don't buy it, they are total junk.

:) You can't go wrong if the bike has been well maintained. The valves are kind of a pain to adjust, but don't need it that often. No major issues with the 01 model year either. I would guess around $2800 is a good ballpark figure for the bike, maybe a little more.

About starting it- it can be a chore with the stock cam, but once you learn the infamous Yamaha drill it's nothing, you could do it in your sleep. Drop a YZ 450 exhaust cam in it though, you'll be way happier with the bike. It's THE mod for the 426.

• Wyatt

Posted May 04, 2005 - 09:56 PM

The '01-'02 426 is on the heavy side for very serious MX. That is the ONLY drawback. They are awesome bikes and are very well made. In my opinion they are heavier becuase they are over enginered. That is what makes them so bullet proof.

• saucebox

Posted May 04, 2005 - 10:17 PM

seen a super clean 01 426 go for 2500 beginning of last summer.

• grayracer513

Posted May 05, 2005 - 07:23 AM

Cowboy's right.

Maintenance is going to be a little higher on the YZF when compared to an XR because the two bikes are in entirely different states of tune, and exist at two entirely different levels of technology.

Longevity was a primary consideration in the XR's. With the YZF, it was secondary to performance, but certainly not sacrificed to it. The YZF's were built as serious high performance racing bikes. That's why they're so much fun. For the most part, if you change your oil and keep the filters clean more religiously than you really have to with an XR, the reliability the 426 acheives at that level of performance is amazing.

The one "shortcoming", if it can even be called that, is that the titanium valves used in YZF's from '01 onward can't be lapped or reground and reused. Once the valves have been reshimmed to a shim size .2mm smaller than the original, they need to be replaced. BUT, that can take a very long time to happen. My '01 250F went until last January (about 400-450+ hours) on the original valves, and my 450 hasn't yet need its first adjustment. They are much more durable than anyone else's.

On starting, don't be afraid of it. Once you learn how, your bike will start the same way all the time. They're very consistent that way. And of course, the 450 cam swap makes it even simpler. :)

• GENE426

Posted May 05, 2005 - 07:29 AM

I LOVE MINE AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS AT ALL IT IS A LITTLE TRICKY TO START FOR THE FIRST WEEK THEN ITS NOT A PROBLEM ONCE YOU GET IT DOWN
I HAVE MINE FOR SALE ITS A 02 FOR 2900 BUT I THINK I SOLD IT ILL KNOW BY TOMORROW IF NOT CHECK IT OUT
http://www.thumperta...php?product=852
THAT WAS A LITTLE OLDER PIC I TOOK RIGHT BEFORE I HAD DONNIE ELMER SUSPENSION DONE ON IT AND BOUGHT FX PLATES
IT RUN PERFECT THOU

• MichiganMXer

Posted May 05, 2005 - 09:37 AM

I've had mine since the 01 showroom and its just been bulletproof.

Change the oil.

I havent even had my top end done, and I do ride it.

Runs great and the power is right up there w/ todays bikes.

• offday

Posted May 05, 2005 - 09:42 AM

Have an '01 and its been bullet proof. great bike. a lot of people complain about starting but if you know the procedure it's no problem at all, My 16 year old son can start it first or second kick no problem. :D :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vibeguy

Posted May 05, 2005 - 12:28 PM

I know this is not the sale section but I have a Vet owned immaculate 02 426 that still has the original tires on it, probably less than 15 hours total time, all on the trails. It has the 03 exhaust cam, power now, RG3 triple clamp w/protaper bars, new DID chain, coil on plug mod, zip Ty racing fuel screw and magnetic drain plug, Pro Moto billet end cap with spark arrestor and quiet insert (if needed). $3300 in western WA.

I find myself taking the WR out on the trails and the modern MX tracks with all the big jumps is not for me. I have a couple old Maico's that I have much more fun racing on the vintage tracks.

If anyone knows someone that is looking for a great 426 I've got it!

• DingosYZ

Posted May 05, 2005 - 08:40 PM

I have 98 YZ400f first year model I have never owned a bike so bullet proof in my life ! I'm sure if first year was bullet proof newer models can only mean a good thing!

• vanisland

Posted May 05, 2005 - 09:20 PM

I have an 01 yz426, had it about a year now. The guy I bought it from took very good care of it and it was in excellent cond. I had been away from riding for quite a few years so took a while to get used the power and getting the starting drill down, fouling plugs. But have not had any problems with the bike. I've added a few things since buying the bike, Rekluse clutch has been the best addition, makes the bike much more enjoyable to ride on tight trails. Now I feel it is a fantastic bike, suits my riding style very well.

• Miguel159

Posted May 11, 2005 - 06:10 AM

OK. I have to ask the newbie question. What is the 426 starting drill that you all speak of? I have a deposit on an 01 and have never had a bike that needed to be kicked. If somebody can splain it to me in dumb talk it would be appreciated.

• GENE426

Posted May 11, 2005 - 06:30 AM

Man Thats A Long Question
Ya Just Got To Get The Bike A Tad Past Top Dead Center With The Decompersion Lever Then Kick It With A Full Kick Down And Ya Got It It Just Takes Some Getting Use To
I Got On 02 For Sale 2800 In Texas Its In The Classified

• HotRod250F

Posted May 11, 2005 - 07:14 AM

I'm on my second 426 now, I love 'em that much. Had a rock solid '01, sold it for a 250F (for 7 mos), then bought my '02 426 last Sept. These bikes are absolutely BULLETPROOF. The starting drill is a no brainer, before you know it you'll be doing it in your sleep. In fact, I think the starting is as easy as an auto decomp. I know mine will start in 1-2 kicks cold, 1 kick hot, guaranteed everytime. Hardly ever use the hot start. The only drawback is you can't bump start with the manual de comp. Oh yea, and it is a little porky for MX use compared to whats currently available. If the bike has been maintained well, low hours, not beat up, etc, I say buy it and enjoy it. If you check the valves, change the oil, air filter, etc, you'll get years of enjoyment out of it. :)

• GENE426

Posted May 11, 2005 - 07:20 AM

You Can Bump Start The 426 Just Not That Easy

• MichiganMXer

Posted May 11, 2005 - 07:40 AM

I've tried to bump start mine on a 50 % grade and the rear wheel still locked up.

I was in 3 w/ some good speed too.

• GENE426

Posted May 11, 2005 - 07:44 AM

Damn I Did It On Mine In Third And Not On Much Od A Downhill Did Ya Hop On The Seat Hard

• cowboyona426

Posted May 11, 2005 - 08:33 AM

OK. I have to ask the newbie question. What is the 426 starting drill that you all speak of? I have a deposit on an 01 and have never had a bike that needed to be kicked. If somebody can splain it to me in dumb talk it would be appreciated.

1. Push down on the kicker (with your foot of course) until it stops- this is when the piston is at TDC (top dead center)
2. Pull the decomp lever
3. Push the kicker down about an inch or so, don't go more than 1/4 the total travel of the kicker
4. Release decomp
5. Let kickstart return to top
6. Give it a good healthy kick

And that is the infamous Yamaha "drill." Enjoy

Vibeguy- if I had 3300 bucks I know how I'd be spending it! :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.