16 replies to this topic
  • cat0020

Posted May 04, 2005 - 06:19 PM

I finally got enough dough to afford 17" rear wheel/tire/rotor/sprocket.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• frankstr

Posted May 04, 2005 - 06:54 PM

Looks pretty cool... :)
How do like the usd forks...?

• my98mugen

Posted May 04, 2005 - 07:33 PM

hey how did you get ur bike to stand on its a magician???

• August

Posted May 04, 2005 - 07:51 PM

hey how did you get ur bike to stand on its a magician???

:D :) No kidding!!

Hey what kind of front forks and triples are you using?

Looks great!! :)

• qadsan

Posted May 04, 2005 - 08:04 PM

Nice wheels :)

• cat0020

Posted May 05, 2005 - 04:43 AM

Bike is so well balanced, it stands on its own.. nah.. I just happen to miss the sidestand in the pictures..

The USD fork is from a Cannondale, with Applied Racing triple clamp for a CRF and the OEM stem pressed into the lower triple clamp. The lateral stiffness of the 53mm forklegs are very noticeble when bike is leaned all the way over.
I wouldn't take any high jumps with the USD fork setup, but it sure looks cool..

Here's a picture of the other side, the bike is not standing on its own.

Posted Image

• my98mugen

Posted May 05, 2005 - 04:04 PM

i think you need a shorter kickstand. if you fart next to it, it would probably fall over.

• August

Posted May 05, 2005 - 05:22 PM

i think you need a shorter kickstand. if you fart next to it, it would probably fall over.

Yeah, I had that same problem with my 650R tard, I never did cut it down though before I sold it.

CAT: Are those Cannondale forks Ohlins? Are they lowered internally, how about the rear?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cat0020

Posted May 06, 2005 - 05:44 AM

Both ends of the bike have been lowered. The Ohlins forklegs revalved and oil changed to suit more track riding, the rear shock was has the oil changed.
Rear shock linkage have been changed to lower the rear end.

I'm thinking about cutting the sidstand.. but do I weld a small "foot" to the end of the stand?

• malibuskier

Posted May 06, 2005 - 05:52 AM

If you don't mind me asking, what is this wrapping of the exhaust I'm seeing on some of these photos?

• AzMtnThumper

Posted May 06, 2005 - 10:55 AM

That looks fun! :)

• doodman

Posted May 06, 2005 - 11:10 AM

where do you ride these motard bikes? They are obliviously not street legal.

• KeithBoyd

Posted May 06, 2005 - 11:32 AM

By coincidence I was just looking at that bike on Advriders in the Thumper section!!!......sweet bike........

Street legal here though.....all thats needed is a small No plate a mirror brake/headlight and!!! tend to see all sorts of bikes wheelieing here with the majority being SM....!! :) :D :)

• cat0020

Posted May 06, 2005 - 11:57 AM

The wraping on the header pipes are heat insulating wraps so the radiators do not get heat radiating off the header pipes.. and I don't burn my riding pants.
I wrapped all my header pipes on dirt bikes, just make sure they are dry before you put the bike away for long term storage, the wrap may retain moisture and rust out your headers.. if you have stainless headers, than that's no worry.

I don't ride my XR650R on the street, it's now my designated track bike.. not much top speed in the triple digits, but plenty acceleration out of corners and ground clearance that allow me to lean way over. With the lack of weight of the XR, I can just about run circles around the novice GSXR, CBR and R1s that show up at the track, those guys rarely get out of 2nd gear on the track, especially when it's a tight track with lots of hairpin turns, the XR is just awsome for those hairpins.

Posted Image

• malibuskier

Posted May 06, 2005 - 01:22 PM

thanks for the info...............where could one find this heat insulating material..........might give it a try?

• cat0020

Posted May 06, 2005 - 03:21 PM

try this:

• Jeff Moore

Posted May 07, 2005 - 01:36 AM

The toolbox on the 650 is kinda a lot of these guys carry their duct tape wrapped around their exhaust. :)

Related Content

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 1 reply

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.