Mid Price Boot Recommendations for Big Calves

20 replies to this topic
  • SaltyWalrus

Posted May 04, 2005 - 06:05 AM

I am a big guy with big calves. Sometimes it's hard to find a boot to fit well over big calves. Any recommendations? I am not looking to spend $300 on Alpinestar Tech-8's. I was thinking more on the lines of the Thor Quadrant (used to be the T-30) for $129 or the new "top of the line" A.R.C. MX220V boots for $169. I know A.R.C. isn't exactly synonimous with "top of the line", but these boots look good for the money. Full grain leather, hindged ankle, replacable instep. Has anyone tried them?

Thor - http://www.rockymoun...tv?pid=00094385
ARC - http://www.rockymoun...tv?pid=00088276

• offday

Posted May 04, 2005 - 06:11 AM

Hi. I would check out the fox boots. They weren't the top of the line but still about $200. Best bet is go to a shop that has them all and spend awhile trying different ones. But remember, socks and pants. Best bet is to wear your socks and buy pants that go OVER the boots. :D :)

• zx7rye

Posted May 04, 2005 - 06:57 AM

Salty...I was in the same boat....big calves (actually cows! LOL). I tried on quite a few boots and ended up settling on the Tech 8's. MY GF actually bought them so cost wasn't a consideration. I did have good fit with the Tech 6's too, just not as good as the 8's. I didn't really want to compromise on fit.

• TimBrp

Posted May 04, 2005 - 07:00 AM

I have treetrunks too Salty. I have the Alpinestar tech 8's and they fit great. The tech 6's are just as nice and priced around $210.

• SaltyWalrus

Posted May 04, 2005 - 07:04 AM

I knew it! I just knew everyone was going to point me to $300 boots. I think I will have to take a ride down to Kevin's and try some on.

• roadcam

Posted May 04, 2005 - 08:01 AM

I'm pretty good-sized too, 6'2", 230# , my MSR MXTs are very comfortable...not super-stiff, I can walk in them pretty good, about $130 if I remember right .. well-made .. might try on a pair of them

• bork

Posted May 04, 2005 - 08:03 AM

I have 19" calves and use cheap Axos. I lost a lot of $ sending back boots. So I went to local cycle store and tried them all . Ended up with the Axo. One or two of straps were short for buckleing . The shop threw in longer ones . Different lengths for different buckles on side and over foot area . It worked . I dread thought of replacing them someday . I dont race and enjoy trail riding , Standard issue back in the 70s were construction boots. Ha hahaha I might have to go back in time and put on the farmer overalls too! Good Luck !

• JackAttack

Posted May 04, 2005 - 08:49 AM

I just purchased a set of ARC's.

I thought I would try them out. I have fairly large calves, and even with my knee/shin gaurds tucked into the boot there is plenty of extra room that could be used.

:)

• SaltyWalrus

Posted May 04, 2005 - 08:54 AM

Thanks, Jack! That's what I wanted to hear! Those ARC's look sweet for the price. If I take a 10 1/2, would you recommend I go with the size 10 or 11 in those? Do they run big or small?

• JackAttack

Posted May 04, 2005 - 09:01 AM

Thanks, Jack! That's what I wanted to hear! Those ARC's look sweet for the price. If I take a 10 1/2, would you recommend I go with the size 10 or 11 in those? Do they run big or small?

Very interesting thought just occured to me.

I wear a size 13 boot and the ARC's fit me just right to my sizing. Which makes me think, maybe that is why I usually have plenty of room in the calf area.

A size 10 boot might not have the same calf area as a 13. However, if the use the same straps you should be OK.

Good Luck! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SaltyWalrus

Posted May 04, 2005 - 09:25 AM

So Jack, did a size recommendation come with that deep thinking?

I am leaning toward 11 for just the reason you mention. Bigger size, more leg room.

• JackAttack

Posted May 04, 2005 - 09:35 AM

So Jack, did a size recommendation come with that deep thinking?

:)

Sorry about that, I thought I had answered it:

ARC's fit me just right to my sizing.

The sizing is right on. :)

At first I thought they were a little tight, but then I realized that they really fit perfect. I was just used to the crappy Tech 8's I was wearing that offered me poor protection. I hate Tech 8's, they should be ashamed to offer such a crappy boot at that price. :D

:D

• SaltyWalrus

Posted May 04, 2005 - 10:07 AM

That's ok, JA. I understand. Your brain is bruised.

• TimBrp

Posted May 04, 2005 - 10:10 AM

Jack's right on with the Tech 8's. Mine have rips in them after one season and my feet get wet. I did suggest the tech 6's earlier as they worked much better. I would go with the size 11.

• roadcam

Posted May 04, 2005 - 10:32 AM

I can wear either a 12 or 13, Im Mr. In-Between, too ... I went for the 13 and slipped a pair of Dr. Scholl gel-soles in there ... ahhhhh, nice up on the pegs :)

• SaltyWalrus

Posted May 04, 2005 - 10:40 AM

I am going to try the size 11 A.R.C.'s. If I need to, I will do the insole thing.

I can see it now.... I will be out riding ... other riders will watch me, turn to each other and say, "He must be jellin".

• jws

Posted May 04, 2005 - 05:24 PM

I like my tech 8s :D hell my asterisks fit in them too :)

Iam 6' 4" 300 lbs and where a size 15 - i dont have a lot of choices and $300 bucks for boots aint all that bad :)

• Old_Man_Time

Posted May 04, 2005 - 08:08 PM

Very interesting thought just occured to me.

I wear a size 13 boot and the ARC's fit me just right to my sizing. Which makes me think, maybe that is why I usually have plenty of room in the calf area.

A size 10 boot might not have the same calf area as a 13. However, if the use the same straps you should be OK.

Good Luck! :)

Well if Jack says they are spot on size wise for him. He wears 13 and the 13 fits perfect. Then you would have no choice but to go to the 11 since you are a 10 1/2.

• 1biglung

Posted May 05, 2005 - 07:57 AM

FYI - I am 6'1" 280 and have Oxtar Comps. I used the with shin/knee guards and pants tucked and have more adjustment. I picked them up for $125.00 New in the box. They run a little small. I wear a 13 and found 14 to fit correctly.

They have saved me a couple of times. Ever had your leg pinned on a downhill under a 650L with a 5 Gallon tank? Could have been ugly. Didn't even feel it !!

• RingKingPin

Posted May 05, 2005 - 08:26 AM

I'll sell you my pair of clapped out tech 6's for $100!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.