What gearing do you run?

10 replies to this topic
  • jlpskydive

Posted May 04, 2005 - 05:54 AM

It's time to replace the sprockets on my L and I was looking for some opinions on gearing.

So, the question is what gears do you run and how do you ride? And would you do the samething next time?

Thanks for the input!! :)

• XR Dude

Posted May 04, 2005 - 06:15 AM

I do very little slow tight trail riding so I like the stock gearing.15-45. Here in ND its flat. Pulls real well on gravel roads and dirt trails and runs 70-75 mph all day long. I do change the front down to a 14 tooth occasionally when I go to different states to ride there trails.

• jlpskydive

Posted May 04, 2005 - 06:26 AM

I do very little slow tight trail riding so I like the stock gearing.15-45. Here in ND its flat. Pulls real well on gravel roads and dirt trails and runs 70-75 mph all day long. I do change the front down to a 14 tooth occasionally when I go to different states to ride there trails.

I do alot of tight stuff. How is it only changing the front??
I also ride it to work. :)

• XR Dude

Posted May 04, 2005 - 07:34 AM

Pretty straighforward, pull the cover, loosen rear axle and adjusters take off the sprocket and put the new one on, I use medium strenght loctite on the attachment bolts for safety. Going from a 15 to a 14 tooth at road speed seems like your in what used to be 4 and a half gear. (please don't beat me up to bad for that description its all I could come up with). If I we're to do real tight stuff and depending how tight I'd go to a 14-48. Its easier on both sprockets and chain sliders than going to a 13-45 and is about the same gearing. No matter what 1st gear is still pretty tall in these things.(650L) Hope this helps.

• jlpskydive

Posted May 04, 2005 - 07:52 AM

Pretty straighforward, pull the cover, loosen rear axle and adjusters take off the sprocket and put the new one on, I use medium strenght loctite on the attachment bolts for safety. Going from a 15 to a 14 tooth at road speed seems like your in what used to be 4 and a half gear. (please don't beat me up to bad for that description its all I could come up with). If I we're to do real tight stuff and depending how tight I'd go to a 14-48. Its easier on both sprockets and chain sliders than going to a 13-45 and is about the same gearing. No matter what 1st gear is still pretty tall in these things.(650L) Hope this helps.

that's what I was hoping for. I can live 4th 1/2 gear, much less and it bocomes a problem. Thanks :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Misfit

Posted May 04, 2005 - 07:55 AM

Heres mine I have a second set of wheels that have knobbies on them for when i go offroad. I run 14/45 on the road and 14/47 offroad. I dont think you can go any bigger than a 48 tooth rear sprocket on this bike because it will be hitting the chain guide. But 14/47 seems to be low enough even though second gear is still too high for the tighter stuff.

• frankstr

Posted May 04, 2005 - 06:08 PM

I have a XR650R and went from 14/48 to 14/50...
Much better for the trails... :)

• XR-Det

Posted May 04, 2005 - 06:35 PM

XRL with 14/48 here,

I don't do long fast trails or much fast highway. Since I've added a CR250 the XRL is currently dammed to take me to work mostly :)

Haven't even checked were it maxes out with that gearing now because my D606 don't like 70+ or lets say I don't like sitting on it then.

I think its great and I would do it again any time, maybe even bigger in the rear!! Makes it feel much stronger if you don't care about max speed.

• EliJoe

Posted May 05, 2005 - 05:15 AM

13/53 :) Gotta have a low first gear in the hills, as sometimes we spend a lot of time in first and second in the tight stuff.

• roadcam

Posted May 05, 2005 - 05:49 AM

13/53?... wow ... oughtta be able to make a few bucks on the side pulling a plow :) gotta get a lot of front tire life with that combo, too

• Rider1958

Posted May 05, 2005 - 06:29 AM

2002 XR650L - I am running 13 front 47 rear, and plan on switching to 48 rear as the current setup I have is still geared too high. Can do 75 mph easily now.

Has anyone switched to a different chain guard? If so, what did you use in place of the stock one?

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.