WR450 vs YZ450 exhaust cam

7 replies to this topic
  • Hamish

Posted May 04, 2005 - 12:09 AM

I'm of the belief that the lobe profile is the same on both there cams, it's just the timing that is different. If anyone can confirm or deny this it'd be nice, as I'm going to order one next week. As I plan to re-time it anyway, it doesnt really matter which cam I buy.

• 96warrior

Posted May 04, 2005 - 07:24 PM

So you can reliably run a yz450 cam. No string attatched. I thought doug dubach didn't recommend doing that? :)

• Hamish

Posted May 05, 2005 - 02:03 AM

So you can reliably run a yz450 cam. No string attatched. I thought doug dubach didn't recommend doing that? :)

who the f%$# us Doug Dubach when he's at home? :D

• Robert_Brazil

Posted May 08, 2005 - 05:37 PM

I actually bought a YZ cam for my WR, I analyzed both cams closely, yet came to the conclusion that the cams are the same, except for a DOT that is stamped one tooth earlier (which has no effect on the functioning) and the pin that of the auto decomp is different (not so rounded), yet the geometery and relative positions are the same. I installed th YZ cam , yet am of belief that I could have saved mu bucks by just advancing the original camshaft one tooth. (Or am I wrong?)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hamish

Posted May 08, 2005 - 11:11 PM

I actually bought a YZ cam for my WR, I analyzed both cams closely, yet came to the conclusion that the cams are the same, except for a DOT that is stamped one tooth earlier (which has no effect on the functioning) and the pin that of the auto decomp is different (not so rounded), yet the geometery and relative positions are the same. I installed th YZ cam , yet am of belief that I could have saved mu bucks by just advancing the original camshaft one tooth. (Or am I wrong?)

I think I have read somewhere on here that you will have problems with your auto decompression if you do that, not sure though.
I assume you have a WR450, and you installed the YZ450 camshaft. Did you notice a significant loss in 'chugability' and low end grunt when you changed cams?

• slotracer577

Posted May 09, 2005 - 06:13 PM

I think I have read somewhere on here that you will have problems with your auto decompression if you do that, not sure though.
I assume you have a WR450, and you installed the YZ450 camshaft. Did you notice a significant loss in 'chugability' and low end grunt when you changed cams?

No, the bike just is a lot snappier. I am not sure it is any faster since it seems to break the tire loose easier. I personally like the motor to feel more 2-stroke like so I put the YZ cam in. On slick stuff the bike is probably slower since it doesnt hook up as well, but I think it is more fun to ride.

John

• Hamish

Posted May 11, 2005 - 12:05 AM

thanks, just what I needed to know :)

• simon@vic

Posted May 11, 2005 - 12:35 AM

get a YZ cam, the motor was designed for it!!!!!!
when i changed my wr cam for a yz cam i noticed better bottom, mid, and wayyy more top end power. cant compare. the only thing i "lost" was some of the crazy engine braking i got with the wr cam. i came off a drz and the wr took a it of getting used to because when you rolled off the gas hard. i got used to it, then i swapped to the yz cam and would never go back.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.