Metal Flakes in Oil

10 replies to this topic
  • PimpdYZ

Posted May 03, 2005 - 09:00 PM

Help.... I just did an oil change on my 03 450f and got a considerable amount of metal flakes that were caught by the oil filter. After draining the oil, I noticed that the oil had fine metal shavings in it as well. Some of the larger flakes looked like gold leaf (only silver) (very thin, but larger in surface area)... they were all iron because I was able to pick them up with a magnet.

The motor has about 100+ hours on it, but there are no unusual noises and it has plenty of compression. The transmission feels a bit notchy, but hits all the gears fine.

I am obviously concerned!! Help :)

• Slowmotion426

Posted May 03, 2005 - 11:18 PM

How long has it been since your last oil change?...

• curtains23

Posted May 03, 2005 - 11:24 PM

Change oil and filter every 6 - 7 hours and fit a magnetic drain plug, you be amazed at what they pick up...metal fragments in the filter are normal, thats what its there for, you will find its from the gearbox/clutch....ENJOY

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 04, 2005 - 03:30 AM

Most important question: assuming you've had the bike for some time; have you not seen this quantity of metal before? It is normal to have some metal flakes in the filter, but if you suddenly get more than what you're used to seeing then that could certainly indicate a pending problem. Have you had the bike for a while or did you just get it?

• Dano426

Posted May 04, 2005 - 06:33 AM

[quote name='PimpdYZ'] they were all iron because I was able to pick them up with a magnet. QUOTE]

Sounds like aluminum clutch plates are getting worn. That would explain why the magnetic drain plug did not catch them. I had that same thing with my 426. Put in new steal plates and all is good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PimpdYZ

Posted May 04, 2005 - 01:27 PM

I bought the bike used. Previous owner had approx 75-100 hours on the motor, with oil changes every 3 rides. I rode the bike 3 times and did an oil change....at which time I discovered the metal particles. I used Yamalube 4-R..as per the previous owner swearing by it. Installed K+N oil filter and hit the track for about 1.5 hours... Pulled the filter cover and had metal particles (small) in the filter chamber again.

Just concerned because I have never noticed this on my Raptor,400EX,or XR400...

• 642MX

Posted May 04, 2005 - 04:26 PM

Totally normal. Don't worry about the flakes, worry only when you find chunks!

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 05, 2005 - 04:27 AM

I bought the bike used. Previous owner had approx 75-100 hours on the motor, with oil changes every 3 rides. I rode the bike 3 times and did an oil change....at which time I discovered the metal particles. I used Yamalube 4-R..as per the previous owner swearing by it. Installed K+N oil filter and hit the track for about 1.5 hours... Pulled the filter cover and had metal particles (small) in the filter chamber again.

Just concerned because I have never noticed this on my Raptor,400EX,or XR400...

4-R is good stuff, if you're riding 3 rides (assuming several hours each ride?) without checking the filter then it's definitely normal to have noticeable flakes in there. Little tiny flakes are OK, anything larger is not. Last word of advice; ditch that K&N filter. From my own experience in the auto market, those things let through a lot more fine dust than the oiled foam filters do, and fine dust will eat 4-stroke valves. The stock filter is actually very good, and there are several excellent after market foam filters as well. Have fun!

• palmdaleRider

Posted May 05, 2005 - 08:11 AM

I was surprised at the amount of fine metal in my last oil change, but the bike runs like a champ so enjoy.

• Jetsprint2

Posted May 05, 2005 - 08:25 AM

4-R is good stuff, if you're riding 3 rides (assuming several hours each ride?) without checking the filter then it's definitely normal to have noticeable flakes in there. Little tiny flakes are OK, anything larger is not. Last word of advice; ditch that K&N filter. From my own experience in the auto market, those things let through a lot more fine dust than the oiled foam filters do, and fine dust will eat 4-stroke valves. The stock filter is actually very good, and there are several excellent after market foam filters as well. Have fun!

I am pretty sure he is talking about the "oil filter" not the air filter. :)

• Fly-nBri

Posted May 06, 2005 - 10:32 AM

This is on the air filter......don't use a K&N like Sir said. They suck and let in a lot of dirt. But the K&N oil filter is cool.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.