Is the Yz450F gonna be too much for me to handle?

21 replies to this topic
  • MightGetYz450F

Posted May 03, 2005 - 08:06 PM

I've been riding for about a year now, I have a ttr 225 that I'm selling, than I'm thinking about getting a 2004 Yz450F left over. I can handle the ttr 225 like it's nothing, im 5'9 and 190, so I know I'm going to tippy toe on all the big yz's...But is this bike too much of a jump from the ttr 225? Should I consider the Yz250F?

• Fastest1

Posted May 03, 2005 - 09:56 PM

Both the 250 and the 450 will be significant jumps from a TTR, however if you know how to twist less when appropriate you will do fine. Much more to work with on either bike, great power, suspension, brakes, etc. Just go easy and learn whichever bike you choose and enjoy. Have you ever ridden either of them? What did you think if so? I would always ride one first though I have purchased bikes unridden before.

• curtains23

Posted May 03, 2005 - 11:20 PM

AWESOME bike, just remember it will only do what you tell it..treat it well and it can make you very happy.....

• Daz_426_02

Posted May 04, 2005 - 01:32 AM

a 450 will leave you a good few years to get tired of, as a 250 will leave you feeling you want something more, sooner.

Go with the 450

• Dirty_Sanchez

Posted May 04, 2005 - 03:59 AM

I faced the same dilimma, only instead of coming off of a TTR125, I was coming off of an XR75 along with a 25 year break from the dirt.

Pull the trigger on that 450 and never look back. Like one of the other guys mentioned, power to jerk a house off it's foundation is there...if you choose, or you can lope along in the woods or track at a leisurely pace.

Dirty

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted May 04, 2005 - 04:20 AM

And to think the 450 is still 30 pounds lighter than the ttr. :)

• biznet1

Posted May 04, 2005 - 04:49 AM

Just grin real big and hang on! :)

• grayracer513

Posted May 04, 2005 - 07:12 AM

AWESOME bike, just remember it will only do what you tell it..

BUT... it WILL do it IMMEDIATELY and INTENSELY. :) Be prudent. An '05 will be a little more graceful, and have better suspension to boot.

• palmdaleRider

Posted May 04, 2005 - 07:44 AM

I owned a KLX 300 (first dirt bike) for about 2.5 months before bought a YZ426. The difference is incredible. The YZ is still a huge handful, but I'm learning at my own pace, when time allows.

• MightGetYz450F

Posted May 04, 2005 - 08:52 AM

Do any of you guys have MSN or AIM?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • offday

Posted May 04, 2005 - 08:55 AM

Go for it bro. My son went from an old IT250 to a 426 in one leap with no problem. He's about your size and is 16 years old. Ain't nobody twisting the throttle but you. :) :D :)

• MightGetYz450F

Posted May 04, 2005 - 09:08 AM

Well, I don't seem to be getting one now. For some reason my dad's being an @$$ and won't finance it now. The bike is 5k *04 left over 450* and I was gonna put 3500 down. He said he'd finance now he won't. Gay... :) :) :D I need a way to persaude him :D any ideas? :worthy:

• glasseye

Posted May 04, 2005 - 09:20 AM

Well, I don't seem to be getting one now. For some reason my dad's being an @$$ and won't finance it now. The bike is 5k *04 left over 450* and I was gonna put 3500 down. He said he'd finance now he won't. Gay... :D :D :worthy: I need a way to persaude him :) any ideas? :D

Looks like you'll need to save up for another year and pay cash. The disrespect you show for your dad :) , well, if I were him, I would'nt finance it for you either :D . In fact, I would consider taking away the TTR!

• offday

Posted May 04, 2005 - 09:59 AM

Well, I don't seem to be getting one now. For some reason my dad's being an @$$ and won't finance it now. The bike is 5k *04 left over 450* and I was gonna put 3500 down. He said he'd finance now he won't. Gay... :) :D :worthy: I need a way to persaude him :D any ideas? :)

Dude. Just read your last post. That's a bummer. But I got my son's '01 426 a year ago for $3300 with the titanium head pipe, applied top triple clamp, oversize front rotor and it looked like brand new. The guy was VERY anal about the bike. and its been VERY dependable. If you do a little shopping you can get a good ride. Then you wont have the payments and the intrest charges. Nothing like having a brand new bike. but don't let that stop you from scoring a ride. Plus you can save up a little more and when you have the difference, sell the bike you have and walk in and pay cash. Maybe get an '06 by then :D :D

• offrodeo

Posted May 04, 2005 - 10:00 AM

Tell him what he wants to hear, and do what he wants to see. For sure dont disrespect him. How old are you? Being a co-signer can really suck. My grandma got screwed a few times by family, so if i were you id save up about 2 grand and use that as a down payment. Im sure the bank will say yes because if you dont pay, they take the 2 grand and the bike.

kevan

• ksrrider

Posted May 04, 2005 - 10:11 AM

I have a 2004 YZ 450 and it's a gas! The YZ is relentless, so be carefull how you twist the throttle. If you are going to ride desert type terrain, gear it tall, e.g. 15-48 which is good for about 80mph. It works good with even taller gearing, the power is broad.
If you ride tight stuff, definitely install some flywheel weight, e.g. 10oz, 12oz or even 16oz, it will help with stalling and distribute the power better.

If you feel ambitious, install a Recluse auto clutch and go rip it up!

• MightGetYz450F

Posted May 04, 2005 - 11:10 AM

Looks like you'll need to save up for another year and pay cash. The disrespect you show for your dad :D , well, if I were him, I would'nt finance it for you either :) . In fact, I would consider taking away the TTR!

um, what are you talking about? I said gay, that's it. So where do you get disrespect from?

• fatdaddy

Posted May 04, 2005 - 09:08 PM

quote: "For some reason my dad's being an @$$ and won't finance it now. The bike is 5k *04 left over 450* and I was gonna put 3500 down. He said he'd finance now he won't. Gay... "

I think "@$$" and "Gay ..." is being disrespectfull and sounds like you need a "spanking" :D .... If you were my kid you'd be watching! :)

• devilsslide

Posted May 04, 2005 - 09:28 PM

get the 450

• MightGetYz450F

Posted May 05, 2005 - 01:41 PM

quote: "For some reason my dad's being an @$$ and won't finance it now. The bike is 5k *04 left over 450* and I was gonna put 3500 down. He said he'd finance now he won't. Gay... "

I think "@$$" and "Gay ..." is being disrespectfull and sounds like you need a "spanking" :D .... If you were my kid you'd be watching! :)

lol, forgot about that part. But seriously though, I save up what I have now, and pull my gpa up to a 3.6 like he said too do and he'd finance it, now he won't, for no reason whatsoever

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.