over heating 650l??

5 replies to this topic
  • GIANTac1

Posted May 03, 2005 - 06:04 PM

Hey guys,
I have owned my porker for 9 days now and have grand total of 49 miles on her. I am starting to get paranoid that she is over heating when I ride. My frame (next to the dip stick) is cooking hot and the bottom part of my gas tank is pretty hot. Is this normal? I mean how hot is to hot? Oil level apears to be fine. How can you tell when the bike gets to hot before its to late. I know its suppose to get hot but damn......I really dont want F-up my new bike thats all. Im thinking Im not going to ride until I "unpork" the thing.
Alright guys, thanks in advance for any comments or help :)
Josh

• dk6

Posted May 03, 2005 - 06:43 PM

Why not ride by a dealer and ask someone to take a look?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 03, 2005 - 08:30 PM

Hmmm, could this be one of the few with an unprimed oil pump?
The frame up there will get up to 250F or so.

D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • justicedone

Posted May 03, 2005 - 10:11 PM

I would buy a dipstick thermometer ASAP. I have to get one still myself, but mine dont get that hot. I know 300 degrees is the cut off on the extreme end...so stay well below that as much as possible.

• LotsOfBikes

Posted May 04, 2005 - 05:31 AM

Being hot in that location is completely normal. The oil circulating through the frame of the XR600/650L is what cools the oil. Consider the frame like a radiator. It's going to get hot. You could get oil dip-stick thermometer (www.srcinc.net), but if your bike is not losing any oil, and not turning it black in less than 500 miles, don't worry about..

Also don't get the Acerbis 6 gallon tank, it restricts all airflow to the frame area right over the engine.

• GIANTac1

Posted May 04, 2005 - 06:55 AM

I just ordered a oil dip-stick thermometer from SRC, $47.00. I am going to use a infrared thermometer today. Let you know how it goes.....
Thanks guys!
Josh

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.