1st hare scramble

25 replies to this topic
  • 4x4ducky

Posted May 03, 2005 - 04:24 PM

did my 1st hare scramble on my 03 wr450,
never again,
too much bike for the trail they made, i'm 5'6" 150 lbs and 42 years old.
love the bike for fire roads and open trails but in the tight stuff i have a hard time

" i can't touch the ground"

i need a smaller bike but, i love the power of the 450
what should i buy, i'm keeping the 450

crf230= dog, but fast in the woods
yz 125= too tall
yz anything= too tall
ktm exc 300= i want... bad, but still can't touch the ground!!!

and NO i can't grow longer legs, so ha, ha.

• simon@vic

Posted May 03, 2005 - 05:01 PM

beta alp
or just learn to ride standing up!!!!

• endurodog

Posted May 03, 2005 - 05:13 PM

That's a tough question. To go to a shorter bike you will give up performance in the suspension and motor end of things. Short bikes are used XR200's, new CRF230's, a smaller Yamaha TTR. Kawi KX100 or KX80, or any 80cc bike for that matter. You will give up a ton of performance all the way around with these "shorter machines".

A better option is to modify a true race bike. Cut the seat, and do some lowering stuff to the suspension. Unfortunatly you can't have the same performance and a small package, your gonna have to make some choices or adapt. Good luck.

• Dunlop

Posted May 03, 2005 - 05:29 PM

Klx300

• drewpeacock

Posted May 03, 2005 - 06:34 PM

Before you get too down look into lowering your bike. I went the cheaper route with the lowering link and it improved the tight wood rides tremendously.

• tp3dxf

Posted May 03, 2005 - 08:49 PM

Lowering link or Get a KDX 200. They are made for that tight woods stuff. Lighter and plenty of poop to scoot you around in the tight stuff.

• simon@vic

Posted May 03, 2005 - 10:14 PM

beta alp

Posted Image

see the one in the back that has a seat and the larger then normal trials tank. they are amazing off road and can go up anything. the seat and the super wide ratio 5th and 6th gears where sweet for if you have an open section to ride. i had an alp for a while, loved it!!

• 4x4ducky

Posted May 04, 2005 - 04:26 AM

thanks for the replys, it not just that the bike is too tall, it's to heavy too, so lowering it is't going to solve my problem.
looks like it will be the crf230 or the kaw. 200, or 225. the trails bikes are cool, i used to go and watch them when i was a kid, i've seen them go over cars and tables. the only problem with them would be the drag race at the start of the race.
going to go sit on more bikes today, will let you all know what i end up with.

• drewpeacock

Posted May 04, 2005 - 04:30 AM

[quote name='4x4ducky']thanks for the replys, it not just that the bike is too tall, it's to heavy too, so lowering it is't going to solve my problem.
Lowering your bike WILL make it feel much lighter.

• Domenic_WRF

Posted May 04, 2005 - 05:16 AM

Second vote for a KDX200 :D I had one for 17 years..1985..never had to do anything but a set of rings twice.. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 4x4ducky

Posted May 04, 2005 - 05:36 AM

how much travel do you lose when you lower it? and what do you do with the front forks. i've read that the max you can go on the forks is 10mm.
mine is at 5mm now, didn't seem to matter much.

• Texas4play

Posted May 04, 2005 - 06:26 AM

You don't want the crf230 for anything but a PLAY bike. Just get the bike you WANT (KTM) and find a rock or log to stand on or hang your leg over with just one foot touching.

• mikew1

Posted May 04, 2005 - 06:45 AM

I am only 5'6" and I ride a KLX300. I think the seat height is 36". I was going to buy a lowering link, but I learned how to use my tip-toes instead. If I were you, I would look into the link before buying a whole new bike. If you still don't like it, you are only out about $80.

• simon@vic

Posted May 04, 2005 - 07:15 AM

lowering a bike is not the answer!!!!!! i ride aggressive trials with guys who are as short as you . they do fine on there wr250s/wr450s/EXCs.

also, you not going to want to get a crf230. there is one in my household. great beginner bike ,not good for racing unless you dump a bunch of $$ into it. and even then a beta alp would beat it in a drag race!!

• beakr

Posted May 04, 2005 - 10:01 AM

Another vote for the KDX. I owned two of them before I bought my '04 WR450. Excellent bike for the money. But, the suspension on them hasn't been upgraded, so if you're used to newer suspensions, you may find it lacking. You may need to get the forks re-valved. I had a '91 and a '96. Rode stock suspension on them both. Having said that, though, I feel that I ride faster / better on my WR--the suspension soaks up the rough stuff better IMO.

If you've got the cash, you might look at the KTM 200EXC. My buddy just switched from a CRF250X to the 200EXC because he wanted a lighter bike, and can't stop raving about it. It feels too small for me, though (6'3, 195lbs).

• 4x4ducky

Posted May 04, 2005 - 11:38 AM

looks like it will be the kdx or the ktm, i have a 17 year old son that wants to ride, so either of these bikes would be good for him on trail rides, i only need it for the hare scrambles. thanks again

• R_Little

Posted May 04, 2005 - 12:18 PM

You don't need another bike.

I have two set of suspension for my 2000 wr400

1 for MX and sand with full stiff travel
2. for tight woods with 30mm less travel.

With the short suspension the bike feels like a 125.
I think I have bottomed my woods suspension once or twice in the woods.

The difference is unbelievable, like owning 2 bikes.
My woods speed is waaaaay up with the short suspension.
And you have electric start to boot.

If your 450 still has the 46mm forks you can get a set cheap on ebay.

Good luck

• drewpeacock

Posted May 04, 2005 - 05:10 PM

You don't need another bike.

I have two set of suspension for my 2000 wr400

1 for MX and sand with full stiff travel
2. for tight woods with 30mm less travel.

With the short suspension the bike feels like a 125.
I think I have bottomed my woods suspension once or twice in the woods.

The difference is unbelievable, like owning 2 bikes.
My woods speed is waaaaay up with the short suspension.
And you have electric start to boot.

If your 450 still has the 46mm forks you can get a set cheap on ebay.

Good luck

I completely agree with this.

• elton

Posted May 05, 2005 - 08:08 AM

For your size, get a KTM 200exc and lower it a bit, @ 214 lbs, its 10lbs lighter than the KDX 200/220, has only a fractionally higher-seat than the KDX 200/220 and is more powerful.

The 200exc is more of a race bike out-of-the-box w/lots of features you will have to add to the KDX.

If you want to get freaky light an low; look at a 85sx, or a 2004 105sx -- but I'd do the 200exc because you'll have more bottom-end, head-light, kickstand, wide ration tranny, speedo/hour meter, larger tank, Enduro suspension, etc. vs. a MX bike.

IMO, don't even consider the CRF230; its a dog @ 242lbs, and not as agile a the WR450.

Elton

• 4x4ducky

Posted May 05, 2005 - 09:47 AM

if i put the 4-5 grand into the wr. i would have one nasty bike now wouldn't i.
you guys got me thinking now... not really, still would like a 2nd bike for the kid and in case the wr breaks down, remember mine is an 03 with no upgrades. i love the set up now for trail riding and fire roads. and i do fine on it.
we had some pretty big logs we had to go over in the scramble and thats were i had the problems.
leaning towards the ktm 200 now, with the kdx a close 2nd.
next race is july 24th that i'm going to run, so i have a little time.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.