wr 450. A PIG? dual sport pennsylvania

6 replies to this topic
  • myrph

Posted May 03, 2005 - 02:16 PM

I owned a yz250 afew years ago, it ran OK.. I just went and took a wr450 for a beat and it is a PIG! I noticed the exhaust has a hole the size of a pea.. Do you get that much more power by taking it out? Will it run like a YZ without any $$$ mods? I want to make a dual sport out of it, that is why I'm looking at the WR.. Any help? How much (title, registration) trouble is there to doing this in Pennsylvania, anyone know? Thanks for the help, Chris

• DesertWR

Posted May 03, 2005 - 02:55 PM

Uncork it, cut the throttle stop & grey wire, remove the baffle, remove the AIS, rejet and she'll throw U backwards with wheelies in 5th gear! :D Don't have a clue about Pennsylvania laws :)

• myrph

Posted May 03, 2005 - 03:02 PM

thanks, i'll give it a shot.. what it an AIS??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motojason

Posted May 03, 2005 - 03:47 PM

AIS = Air Induction System...

It is some sort of emissions control valve. I think it adds air to the exhaust to lean out the mixture and cause any unburnt fuel to combust. Or something like that. The TT store sells a plug kit, to seal up all of the holes when the valve and hoses are removed, for $33.95.
The WR is a total joke when 100% stock. I rode mine for 25 miles the day after I got it and could not believe how corked up it was. Now, with the free mods, JD jet kit, AIS removal kit, YZ throttle stop screw, and PMB exhaust insert the bike must make more than 3 times the power of stock. Really...it's a huge difference.

• myrph

Posted May 03, 2005 - 04:34 PM

im starting to get a better feeling about it now.. I know a 2 stroke 125 would give it a run for it's money the way it is now!! Thanks for the help!

• SWD6

Posted May 03, 2005 - 04:54 PM

Riding The WR400 on the road is better than sex if it's set up like the yz.. :) almost better :D

• simon@vic

Posted May 03, 2005 - 05:05 PM

free mods, YZ Ex cam, pipe, jetting.......................yeee haaa

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.