wr400 compression test and valve clearance

1 reply to this topic
  • creepy

Posted May 03, 2005 - 07:53 AM

I did a compression check on my WR and got an abysmally low value of 100psi. Has anyone done this before and noted if the decompressor interferes with the test? If I went extra-easy on the lever the reading went up a bit.
The other thing Im running into is just how difficult it is to do a valve clearance check on this motor. the angle you have to feed the gauge in at seems to yield a different clearance each time! Does anyone have any tips for doing this? I have extra-narrow gauges I bought for doing this and theyre not as helpful as id hoped.. its the angle of approach on the bucket. Also I noticed the right-hand exhaust valve has a bucket that rocks a bit if you push on it. is that normal?
Thanks =)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Cedric

Posted May 03, 2005 - 10:18 AM

I don't think you should be touching the decompressor at all. That is allowing air to escape out your exhaust pipe, and that is lowering your compression number. I know it will be hard to kick over w/o doing it, but you will have to find a way.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.