chain adj. nut size?

6 replies to this topic
  • tnl

Posted May 03, 2005 - 07:44 AM

What size is the lock nut on the chain adjuster on the 05 450?

• SureBlue

Posted May 03, 2005 - 09:16 AM

12 mm

• tnl

Posted May 03, 2005 - 07:16 PM

Thanks. I really stripped mine..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chad76

Posted May 05, 2005 - 06:13 PM

TNL......yeah I found the same on my 04 model. It almost seems like a in between size. I rounded mine on my first change. They are a b!tch to get at as well. Not much room for a spanner. Ive just made sure I dont do them up so tight so it dosent happen again.

• tnl

Posted May 05, 2005 - 07:07 PM

I know what you mean. Did the same thing with mine at the first adjustment. Later I tried a 10mm,11,12,13 and all non metrick sizes after the first adjustmentand none will fit now? Need to be right on the money every turn every time I guess?

• grayracer513

Posted May 05, 2005 - 07:44 PM

Don't ask me...I'm told I don't understand how a chain is tensioned. :)

But if you did, I would suggest trying to find a 12mm Flare Nut Wrench. These are like a six-point box end with a slot cut in the end of them so they can be slid over a fuel line, brake line, etc., and still drive the flare nut on more than two opposite sides. You can cheap out and cut a slot through a 12mm box end, but the opened ring of a standard box will not likely be strong enough to avoid springing open and slipping. The jaws of a flare nut wrench are beefy and built for the job. In fact, if you use a standard Craftsman, you may have to grind the ends of the jaws just a little to get it to fit in next to the swing arm. I keep a Snap-on FNW in my tool box just for the chain adjusters. :D

• SureBlue

Posted May 05, 2005 - 08:31 PM

Don't ask me...I'm told I don't understand how a chain is tensioned. :)

Yeah gray, I'm sure you don't... :) :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.