Anybody using an iridium ngk spark plug?

22 replies to this topic
  • wkloiber

Posted May 02, 2005 - 08:26 PM

I was looking at NGK's website trying to see if they made anything beyond the standard plug. I found that they make an iridium plug and I was wondering if anybody has some input on these iridium plugs. I've personally never used iridium when it comes to spark plugs so I'm interested to see if it's worth the extra few bucks they cost over the standard. Any input would be helpful.

• dominator426

Posted May 02, 2005 - 09:13 PM

NGK's iridium CR8EIX does improve performance a bit and is more durable. It provides better combustion and, as also noted by others, the exhaust note is then more crisp. I was actually baffled at first, wondering why the hell my exhaust sounded so different, until I remembered about my switch to the IX!
It is the best spark plug available for our engine. I also use it in my car, snowmobile, etc...
:naughty: http://www.ngkspark....re_product.html

• Hamish

Posted May 03, 2005 - 03:17 AM

I have my doubts about any significant performance gains, but I believe it makes it easier to start.

• frankstr

Posted May 03, 2005 - 03:28 AM

I think its worth a few xtra bucks, Longer and better life, A sharper spark... :naughty:

• 5valve

Posted May 03, 2005 - 08:28 AM

I too use one, much better starting on my old 99, but is that all to expect for 4 times the price of reguar CRE? I expect it to live longer and if not, still have one spare iridium left :naughty:

• ncmountainman

Posted May 03, 2005 - 03:34 PM

:) :D :) it pays for itself in longevity,it runs and starts better for a much longer amount of time than the regular.

• 5valve

Posted July 27, 2006 - 09:08 AM

Still using the same plug, which I installed somewhat december 04.

Anyone noticed bike running hotter, as with stock?
Electrode seems quite white, has anyone checked theirs?

For comparison, I installed old non iridium, which I thorougly cleaned before, and checked it after ride, nice brown tan.

Fellow husky rider also had iridium installed and his bike overheated regularly (coloration on inner side engine cover stepped off), had starting problems, boiling easily..
His mech tried many things around carb, no improvement, finally went back to regular plug, all problems solved.

could be, that when iridium goes bad, still works fine, only hotter.
Any clues or expirience in this?

• mtrablue

Posted July 27, 2006 - 09:30 AM

never noticed a heat problem with the irridium. been running the same one for two seasons.

• SteveWR450F

Posted July 27, 2006 - 10:42 AM

Search the threads and you will see that this has been debated before. Basically, a toyoto mechanic felt that their would be no performance increase but the plug would last much longer. NC disagreed.

I have been using one for about a year. The plug has lasted a long time and maybe its just in my mind but I think my bike starts easier with the expensive plug.

• 5valve

Posted July 27, 2006 - 11:30 AM

Yes, much written, though very little about running lean compared to stock in same conditions.
Should electrode be colourless or light to dark bown as with regular plug.
If for better combustion reasons, iridium stays cleaner, thant I guess its ok its if not coloured brownish.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mudie426

Posted July 28, 2006 - 11:47 AM

i put one in my bike and it didnt last a race the normal ngk is the way forward

• 5valve

Posted July 28, 2006 - 10:17 PM

You must've bought faulty one, which can happen with regular plug too.

• Cairn

Posted August 06, 2006 - 08:26 AM

Where can you purchase iridium spark plugs???

• Yamaster

Posted August 06, 2006 - 08:55 AM

I got mine from the napa/riebes store 5 minutes down the road. The dealer uses charges more for regular plugs, so I figured they would be ridiculous about the iridium plug. Mine was around 8 bucks a plug.

• Cairn

Posted August 06, 2006 - 01:57 PM

Yamaster,

Thanks for the info. Will give Napa a call.

Cairn

• swede426

Posted May 22, 2008 - 06:14 PM

Old thread but I thought I share my experience with this iridium plug.
Noticed right away it fired up much better.
Runs much smoother on idle, I could actually turn my idle down and it still runs very smooth.
Smells less according to riding buddies (and you know the others always behind these yammis:smirk: ) and I myself noticed less smoke when WOT.
Seems to be a good plug even if it was a bit pricey.

• SXP

Posted May 22, 2008 - 06:19 PM

Old thread but I thought I share my experience with this iridium plug.
Noticed right away it fired up much better.
Runs much smoother on idle, I could actually turn my idle down and it still runs very smooth.
Smells less according to riding buddies (and you know the others always behind these yammis:smirk: ) and I myself noticed less smoke when WOT.
Seems to be a good plug even if it was a bit pricey.

Your 4-stroke smokes? Not good!

• swede426

Posted May 22, 2008 - 06:27 PM

Your 4-stroke smokes? Not good!

It's a bit overjetted after winterriding.
Not black oilsmoke.

• joerod77

Posted May 23, 2008 - 11:26 AM

Still using the same plug, which I installed somewhat december 04.

Anyone noticed bike running hotter, as with stock?
Electrode seems quite white, has anyone checked theirs?

For comparison, I installed old non iridium, which I thorougly cleaned before, and checked it after ride, nice brown tan.

Fellow husky rider also had iridium installed and his bike overheated regularly (coloration on inner side engine cover stepped off), had starting problems, boiling easily..
His mech tried many things around carb, no improvement, finally went back to regular plug, all problems solved.

could be, that when iridium goes bad, still works fine, only hotter.
Any clues or expirience in this?

Im a month late with a solution, but maybe run a cooler plug (CR7EIX) for example. Should know right away if its not hot enough but that could be throwing away $10 or whatever they cost over there. I had to do that on my CR125R, but went hotter. Just throwing it out there for what its worth.

• graazzy

Posted May 23, 2008 - 01:17 PM

The CR7EIX Iis actualy a hotter plug than the CR8EIX .Be careful !

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.