california plates?

2 replies to this topic
  • moach1

Posted May 02, 2005 - 12:43 PM


i saw at a link to some dmv forms. it looks like there is a way to get plates by way of special construction. has anyone done this? just wondering if it works?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BNutZ

Posted May 02, 2005 - 12:52 PM


It was enough trouble to get my bikes dual sported (when still legal) the first time around.....I'm not fighting with CARB/DMV/CHP/ETC to do it way of Special Construction now.... I'm taking the plate from one of my dual sport bikes putting it on my WR. I'll deal with the repurcussions if/when I get pulled over.

To more directly answer your question, it would probably depend on who from CHP is inspecting the M/C to grant it SPCNS (special construction). As a general rule, just putting a dual sport kit on it (light kit/mirrors, horn, etc.) is not satisifactory... you must MAJORLY overhaul the bike (i.e., new frame w/out VIN, multiple parts from different bikes, etc....).


  • moach1

Posted May 02, 2005 - 03:26 PM


i have a buddy who is a chp!!!! i will have to call him to find out what he can do for me!


Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.