Chronic Countershaft seal leak

6 replies to this topic
  • dirtgood1

Posted May 02, 2005 - 10:56 AM

I have an 01 426 , that no matter what I do, I can not get the countershaft seal to stop leaking. I have replaced the seal, the oring, and the bushing and it still continues to leak. I was very carefull while installing the seal and the oring, so as not to damage them. I coated everthing with new oil prior to installing the spacer/bushing(that sits behind the sprocket). I also inspected the shaft for nicks or burrs that could damage the oring, and found nothing. I am hoping someone has had a similar problem and found a solution. Right now, the only thing I can come up with is that being new to the fourstrokes that I am over servicing the engine with oil, and that the extra oil has to go somewhere. I have been following the manual as far how much oil is required and how to check the level. I am a mechanic and know that oil literally is the lifeblood of these engines, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

• MotoGoalie

Posted May 02, 2005 - 11:30 AM

If you have ever had the chain TOO tight (it should be about 4 fingers sloppy at the end of the swingarm rubber) and hit a jump, bump or whatever, it may have bent the shaft ever so slightly. If that's the case, which i suspect it is, you'll either have to replace it or just live with it.

• grayracer513

Posted May 02, 2005 - 12:36 PM

The first thing is to double check that the leak is actually coming from the output shaft. Other possibilities on that side are the neutral switch, clutch actuator, shifter shaft, and even around a case bolt

If it is, then I suggest checking for vertical/horizontal play (perpendicular to the shaft axis) in the output shaft left hand bearing. Should be very little. Too much, and the seal won't be able to cover the motion.

Too much oil will not cause this in a dry sump system. You should be using a total of 1.7 liters of oil. Until you exceed about 2 quarts, nothing of any note will happen. Beyond that, the return pump will not be able to fit it all in the tank, and the extra is forced back into the engine by way of the pressure balance tube between the tank and cam box. The first symptoms are usually smoke and excess oil in the breather.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • saucebox

Posted May 02, 2005 - 02:44 PM

My countershaft seal has been leaking since the day I got my bike basically. I finally got around to it to figure out that it was the counter shaft leaking last week and i bought a new seal and o-ring, and the dealer told me to put some grease on that seal when you put it in which seems to make sense that the grease would help make sure it is completely sealed. its been really crappy and i have a ton of homework as its only a week away from finals so i havent got around to it yet but hopefully next wed. i'll be done with finals and get that new seal in and give you an update

• Rick_Graham

Posted May 02, 2005 - 04:52 PM

[quote name='grayracer513']

If it is, then I suggest checking for vertical/horizontal play (perpendicular to the shaft axis) in the output shaft left hand bearing. Should be very little. Too much, and the seal won't be able to cover the motion. [QUOTE]

Another point on this is if the lip of the seal is not pressed in square, or the face gets deformed the lip will act like a pumping ring and always leak. You should whenever possible use a press to install lip seals. Great care should be taken when you can't. It can be done with a socket and hammer but not nearly with the same level of quality.

• dirtgood1

Posted May 02, 2005 - 04:55 PM

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I am 100% sure that the its the countershaft leaking. While replacing the seal and the oring, I did the shift shaft seal and the neurtral switch o-ring as well(just in case it wasnt the countershaft) I am going to check the the shaft runout with a dial indicator and see if it is tweaked as well as check the bearing for play. Thanks again and I will let you know what I come up with.

• jrcgaf364

Posted May 02, 2005 - 07:47 PM

I have the same problem and it is absolutly rediculos.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.