Oil Changes

3 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted November 10, 2000 - 05:51 PM

I was wondering how often the oil screen at the bottom of the frame needs to be cleaned out. What size socket is required?

1999 WR

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted November 10, 2000 - 07:29 PM

I recently checked this screen because I had heard some reports of them being packed with crap after only a short period of time.

Somewhat panicked, I checked mine for the first time with about 1000mi on the od and nothing. Perfectly clean.

So based upon my experience I won't be too concerned. Of course, maybe somebody else has had a different experience.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dougie

Posted November 10, 2000 - 07:38 PM

It is more important that you check it after the initial break-in period or first couple of rides.

I never did. I checked it around 1500 miles and only a very tiny amount of junk was there. Haven't checked it since.

Not sure of the wrench size but I do know one thing...you will have to pound on that thing to get it loose the first time. One of the reasons I never checked it early was because I couln't get it loose. I thought it was even welded shut. It actually looked like part of the frame. I finally just took a mallet to it and it finally came loose.

• Dave_VanBrocklin

Posted November 11, 2000 - 02:59 PM

I cleaned mine the first few oil changes, and I found ALOT of junk in mine, metal from machining, even blue paint. The nut is 24mm,I believe. now that my bike has a few miles on it, I check the screen every 3rd oil change.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.