moose chain guide

8 replies to this topic
  • Bamster

Posted May 02, 2005 - 05:30 AM

I went to order a new under the swing arm rear chain guide block the other day
and ended up buying the whole guard and block from Moose for the same price as the stock Yamaha block. The replacement blocks for the Moose unit are considerably cheaper than Yamaha and look like you can turn them upside down when one side wears out. Anyone using one of these,how well do the wear?

• Bamster

Posted May 03, 2005 - 06:19 AM

Nobody has tried one of these? :naughty:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 03, 2005 - 07:27 AM

I haven't tried the Moose brand but anything is better than the stocker, the stock chain guide is aluminum and rubber, the problem is when you hit a rock the aluminum bends and doesn't bend back.. On the aftermarket units the plastic (delron?) material retains its original shape.... This is a great product to have on your bike... It's cheap and could really save you.... I have the BRP brand and couldn't be happier...

Dan :naughty:

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted May 03, 2005 - 08:44 AM

I haven't tried the Moose brand but anything is better than the stocker, the stock chain guide is aluminum and rubber, the problem is when you hit a rock the aluminum bends and doesn't bend back.. On the aftermarket units the plastic (delron?) material retains its original shape.... This is a great product to have on your bike... It's cheap and could really save you.... I have the BRP brand and couldn't be happier...

Dan :naughty:

Yeah, in just 300 miles on my bike I've had to take my guide off twice and hammer it back into shape so it wouldnt rub the chain. The new area we ride in has alot of basketball sized rocks sticking out of the dirt, just perfect size to smack my chain guard or brake rotors on (although my Rooster performance brake guards are doing a GREAT job of protecting the rotors :naughty: )

When I get fed up with the stock one, I'll keep moose in mind for a replacement.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sylvain

Posted May 04, 2005 - 04:46 AM

Hello Bamster

Where did you order the Moose chain guide and how many $$ did you pay for it?

I replaced my chain for an extra heavy duty (they say) EK chain and it rubs really tight in the replacement UFO nylon block of the oem chain guide. I inquired about an oem replacement block at my yamy stealer and they ask $65.00 for a block ***!!.

I enlarged the nylon block but I'm not very satisfied with the result, and I want a Moose or Fredette chain guide.

Thanks for the infos.

• Bamster

Posted May 04, 2005 - 05:02 AM

It was sixty six dollars tax included for the guard and block.
The replacement blocks are 13.95. My dealer ordered it through Parts Canada and took 5 days to come in. They only listed YZ 400,426 and 450 not WR but
it mounted on perfect. The package said Moose but there is a sticker on the guide that says Fredette. Hope this helps.

• Bamster

Posted May 04, 2005 - 05:16 AM

Looks like this
http://www.steahlyof...ls/Fredett2.jpg

http://www.mxsouth.c...oo136chaing.htm

http://www.mxsouth.c...sr136chaing.htm

They all look the same except the MSR is blue.

• Sylvain

Posted May 13, 2005 - 07:59 AM

Bamster !

Thanks,

I ordered a Moose chain guide and it fits perfect. :)

Thank you.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted May 13, 2005 - 12:53 PM

I've had a Moose chain guide on my bike for years. The whole thing was less expensive than the stock replacement rubber insert alone and new replacement blocks for the Moose guide are really inexpensive. I put it on and haven't messed with it since. Just like a chain guide should be.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.